ex GNR Howlden bogie brake

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

ex GNR Howlden bogie brake

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello,
I purchased a built model (from a D&S kit).
The model is exquisitely made and painted as LNER 986.
However I am unsure of its origins because the only found examples of Howlden full brakes come with a ducket each side.
gnr-45'-fullbrake-D&SModels-Lawrence-Studley (1).JPG
Would some one know please if this is a one-off model or an example of a real vehicle.

regards
Kimball Thurlow in Brisbane.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: ex GNR Howlden bogie brake

Post by Woodcock29 »

Its a GN Howlden Milk Brake to Dia 329. D&S also made the similar luggage brake to Dia 296 which had different door arrangement plus duckets as you indicate.

I have one of each to build. The only comment I would make about the your purchase is that the roof lights are set too high. The vertical side frames should be fully set into the roof. If the roof is removable it might be possible to alter that. Sorry if I've created some disappointment for you.

Looking at it more closely the roof lights appear to be just glued onto the top of the roof. In fact there should be openings below them so the light penetrates into the interior. So an alternative is to remove them, sand down any glue off the roof and make up some replacements from plastic card. Its also worth mentioning that the angle of the top of the roof lights is too sharp so if you made new ones you could correct that. It would probably mean painting the roof a smokey grey so you don't even need to glaze them, just use white plastic card. I've always done it this way on recent builds with roof lights.

I have attached a photo of a 6 wheel brake with roof lights that I built a few years ago to show what they look like. Even on this model I have probably got the roof lights a bit too high. If I was building it today I would ensure there was minimal vertical side frame above the roof.

Andrew
Attachments
IMG_5973 ps s.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Have I seen that same milk brake on here previously? I've certainly seen another GNR Howlden bogie brake with the roof light frames just glued to the white roof, with slight gaps visible around the lower edges.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello Andrew,

Thanks Andrew for the information on the origins of the van.
Yes those observations on the skylights are correct, being stuck on with no view of the interior.
Your example sure does show them correctly.
What a lovely model you have built.
I have to redo LNER to GNR - soon.

Not to worry, this vehicle is going behind a Bachmann Atlantic in a GNR set I am making up. Authenticity is not my overabiding interest, although I do believe things have to look "presentable" for the majority of viewers.

Hello Mr King, you probably have seen a photo of this vehicle previously (via Mr Nicholas) who used it for colour matching.
regards
Kimball Thurlow
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Andrew,
As a follow up to your post, you may know the purpose of the transverse (wood, cast iron?) members over the roof top between vents and skylights.
Were these only on the vans or the coaches too I wonder?

Kimball
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Kimball
As far as I can tell they were only on roofs of vans and van ends so I presume they are external strengtheners where there are no internal partitions.
Andrew
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Post got repeated
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thanks Andrew.
That sounds a distinct possibility.