Bachmann V2 release update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Bachmann V2 release update

Post by mick b »

Rails and Locomotion have announced details of their versions ,of the long awaited Bachmann V2. I presume Bachmann are not making any in their main range, which is surprising.

The locos shown are pre production versions , they need to improve far more at a r.r.p of £220.00, before I would even consider buying any at that price. The forthcoming Hornby W1, A2/2 and A2/3 are far better looking models ,and cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMf7gCR ... e=youtu.be
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Bachmann V2 release update

Post by nzpaul »

Rails, Kernow and all still showing main range V2 available for pre-order at around £190ish. Looks like these collectors editions might be the first to arrive though.
Not sure about the £220 bit, makes Hornby's £170 A2 look rather competitive.

Paul
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Bachmann will still be releasing their own mainstream range of V2s under their own name.

I will be getting the Bachmann LNER version of 4791, which I previously had a model of, kit built from the old Bristol Models kit, not the best of kits by a long way but part of my modelling history and built back in 1978. I renumbered this to 4818 St Peter's School York AD 627 in the early 80s. It doesn't get to run very often as its not up to my current standards.

I also have an unmade Proscale V2 which I know has issues, bought in 1985, but I expect it will get built one day when I want more of a challenge and I get back to building Grouping period locos rather than pre-grouping.

Andrew
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Maybe the bodies are "okay", save for (typical for RTR) too-deep boiler bands and heavy emphasis on the bolt heads in the top seam of the boiler cleading, but those pre-production samples seemed to me to have clumsy, cast, "traditional Bachmann" deep-rim wheels in the leading pony truck plus quite broad rods in the motion. By contrast, parts of Hornby's LNER Pacific motion go too far the other way, being spindly in appearance. Surely there must be a way to mass manufacture something between the two extremes? At least the front ring of the boiler is now parallel and more slender than the version that has been on offer for the last quarter century.

I did wonder too whether the combined effect of the moulding and the LNER decoration made the side windows of the cab look too small?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

If you look at the photos the Cab Windows appear to vary in size on each body, The Valve Gear is simply awful far too clunky, as are the Driving wheels .
Hopefully for anyone who wants to buy one these, they are pre production models, they can only get better?? @ £220 a time, they have to be !!! :lol: :lol:
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

When this was announced along with the fanfare on YouTube. I was initially delighted. Delight turned to disappointment the more I've looked. Yes it is a pre-production model. But will the bulky valve gear be improved on the production model?
Does it look like a model costing £230- at dealers a shade under 200. The body .(loco and tender) look okay. Rivets too pronounced and the lining LNER and BR a little heavy . Disguise this with weathering. Value, we'll each have to decide for ourselves...
I'm glad of Graeme's bodies, I'll "need" more. Mike Trice 3dprints look quite appealing. I guess it's best to reserve judgement on this until it's seen preferably "in the flesh".
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:00 am Maybe the bodies are "okay", save for (typical for RTR) too-deep boiler bands and heavy emphasis on the bolt heads in the top seam of the boiler cleading, but those pre-production samples seemed to me to have clumsy, cast, "traditional Bachmann" deep-rim wheels in the leading pony truck plus quite broad rods in the motion. ....
They probably borrowed bits of the Bachmann chassis in order to have something to show at this early stage.

I wouldn't get too excited.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I too suspected that wheels and coupling rods might be those of the previous version. That doesn't tell us what will be on the finalised new model.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:24 am I too suspected that wheels and coupling rods might be those of the previous version. That doesn't tell us what will be on the finalised new model.
I'd like to hope you're right.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Horsetan wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:34 amThey probably borrowed bits of the Bachmann chassis in order to have something to show at this early stage.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:24 am I too suspected that wheels and coupling rods might be those of the previous version. That doesn't tell us what will be on the finalised new model.
The chassis casting appears to be the same in form as those which Tony Wright had as a preview, with full depth representation of the Cartazzi axleboxes, and the flangeless trailing truck wheels are definitely not off any previous models. So those parts at least are not off previous Bachmann V2s. I would suggest this indicates it is what we are getting.

Furthermore, overall looks much of a piece with Bachmann's other large Doncaster traction. Good RTR layout loco which will run reliably for many years with nothing falling off or needing work; very well suited to someone like me that mainly wants to operate, rather than run the loco works and the fitter's department at the loco shed. As ever, YMMV!
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Photo sof the new V2 are on the Peterborough North thread on Rmweb for those interested.
I'm left with mixed feelings.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Agree , some poor part sizing and detail . Not at that price as well !!

link here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... page/1347/
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Hi Mick - we seem to be on the same page. Truly a missed opportunity. When I spoke to Bachmann at Warley back now in 2019 it was touted as the steam release of what they then expected was late 2020 - Personally I think I'll be going down the 3D print route. More effort but hopefully a better result When I add more V2's
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Look forward to the photos David.

I wonder what the final price for the Bachmann V2 will be ?, £220 nearly a year ago.
I have also knocked the Hornby W1 on the head, now they have also have put the prices up even more , prices are getting unstainable !(to me at least ) !.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Infuriating that the front row of rivets on the smokebox (highlighted to Bachmann directly by way of social media) is still wrong, and not close enough to the front of the smokebox.

The other issues are all fixable to some degree, but this one is very "wrong" and only flush riveted examples are going to be right in this area.

This model has many excellent features and the boiler in particular is far better for a V2 than the original Bachmann one. It represents no improvement over my G.R. King trio and therefore will not be replacing them.

A missed opportunity for a definitive RTR V2, for sure, and I think Hornby may be watching, and wondering. I rather think their Thompson Pacifics show what can be done - it's such a shame given the size of the class and the number of examples LNER aficionados would buy.