Bachmann V2 release update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Bachmann V2 release update

Post by mick b »

A worked over Bachmann V2 , using the current chassis and Graeme's resin body from a few years ago.

[attachment=0]IMG_1 v2.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_1 v2.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Current Bachmann V2 modified and detailed and repainted , works well and near enough for my use.

Certainly not worth wasting £220 on the "so called improved version "

1 cor8 IMG_8609.jpg
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Timely posts Mick. The V2s built using Graeme's resin body may remain the best of the type around, excepting those made from Martin Finney kits or the Mike Trice 3D prints perhaps.

Paul
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Thank you Paul for your kind comments. That was some time ago! No.60903 is now no.903 to match the three Graeme King V2s I built shortly afterwards, all of them in LNER wartime black. That conversion was good, addressed a few of the issues, but fundamentally the model looks out of place next to the other V2s by comparison.

There's no getting away from the fact that the original Bachmann V2 is just not a good model of a V2. The new edition has new, different problems, and to be perfectly frank I think too much of it is too chunky in how it's put together. The Gresley V2 has elegance, fine lines, and looks balanced. The Bachmann model doesn't capture it for me and that's the big problem - you can have a model that is technically good on a detail level that simply doesn't get it right. This is one of those models, which is a huge shame given the popularity of the prototype and how necessary it is for LNER layouts.
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Hornby Magazine have reviewed the BR black version.

It does actually look better in black.

A very favorable review.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Having been directed to the similar thread on the dark side, and having read two more reviews (one from Railway Modeller, and one Model Rail review) I feel obliged to point out that some of the issues which are fairly obvious and pretty basic - such as the positioning of the rivets on the smokebox which are wrong - haven't been identified by some of the reviewers.

There's a lot good about the new Bachmann V2 but there are some basic errors that could have been easily avoided and are not easy to rectify.

I do think a replacement Hornby A3 type smokebox door might be the easiest win for making sure the smokebox rivets are against the leading edge of the smokebox, instead of being inset from the edge a good scale inch (not the case on the real thing).

One also observes from the dark side the - frankly bizarre - behaviour of the forum creator getting up in arms over the issue of copyright with a disabled contributor, well known for his artworks on the forum, who had obviously tried to observe copyright and had at least offered to remove if required. Hardly the shooting offence it appears it has been made out to be. I see nothing has changed in the near decade since I left the forum!
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:59 am One also observes from the dark side the - frankly bizarre - behaviour of the forum creator getting up in arms over the issue of copyright with a disabled contributor, well known for his artworks on the forum, who had obviously tried to observe copyright and had at least offered to remove if required. Hardly the shooting offence it appears it has been made out to be. I see nothing has changed in the near decade since I left the forum!
Whilst I'm not a fan of the current form of the forum and the direction it has taken (but understandable) I don't think you saw the whole picture regarding the 'stealing' of images. The poster in question (quite why you should mention he's disabled) had screenshotted a Warners/BRM review from the current edition and posted it (which is taking the P) then taken the image from the review and manipulated it and reposted it. Just because he writes "Mods remove if required" doesn't make it acceptable, it just means you've got to follow his every post to pick him up. If it were the first time for the poster you could say it was harsh, but it isn't, he does this continually, although I have noted him now asking permission first on some threads.

In the early days of the internet I would load pics to sites, but when I started seeing them on Ebay for sale and learnt they were doing the rounds on FB etc. I got them removed from Ebay and now only post cropped/edited copies as too many take the 'P and think anything is free on the web'.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I understand the copyright issue perfectly well, I just don't think the approach I've seen was in proportion to the "crime" as it were. I haven't seen the rest of it, absolutely, I barely read anything on there (only when directed to by friends) so it was notable for me the manner in which that conversation unravelled.

Rob's well known - apologies if there are issues with the mentioning of his disability - the reason I mentioned it was because he has always been clear about the limitations of his association with model railways and making artworks or posting is how he interacts as best he can, which is understandable and I think somewhat excuses it a tad. To my mind - and again I apologise if I speak out of turn - a forum mod picking up on the pictures/artworks in this way is picking on and stopping the main thing he is able to do to take part in the wider discussion. That seems harsh frankly.

I accept your points, I just don't feel it was handled well - it could have been done pleasantly and constructively, but it wasn't. I think the forum creator should have been more mindful - he wasn't.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:39 am I accept your points, I just don't feel it was handled well - it could have been done pleasantly and constructively, but it wasn't. I think the forum creator should have been more mindful - he wasn't.
It could be thought of as harsh treatment, but it depends on how many other occasions it has happened. I know I've seen comments before and got the feeling this wasn't the first time.

I suppose if I were in your shoes and just published a long researched book* and someone scanned pages of it and loaded it to an open forum how would you react....I know I'd blow my lid..

*Yep, I'm purchasing it.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

[Tangent] The real problem is with copyright law, which is frankly ridiculous. It should last no longer than patent protection on the intellectual property of original technical invention: for it is that scantily protected technical invention in which almost all the value obtained by intellectual property copyright resides. Fixing the fundamental problem is what is required, rather than dealing with the distortions that now hugely extended copyright produces. (It cannot be fixed the other way, by extending patent rights to match copyright duration, then 'none of us can afford anything' !) [/Tangent]

On subject, I am 'in' for the new Bach V2, potentially less carving required to make it the way I want, especially if reports of more weight for traction in the new model are correct. A V2 has got to make speed with 50 wagon fast freights on the ECML, which the current version simply cannot do out of the box, probably Bachmann's biggest steam loco fumble since the BR standard 5MT. It's not all about appearance standing still, the running performance counts for as much with me.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Interesting scenario, a totally rude and threatning response to the person posting. What was written by the moderator, should have been done in a Private Message , not in a public post. IMHO.
I am sure he was supported by the Mods on earlier posts ,when people complained about the number of manipuated photos he was posting. As a result that is why he started adding " I will remove if requested " on all his subsequent photos.

As to the V2, I doubt very much if a Hornby Smokebox door will be much help. It looks like the V2 has a one piece SmokeBox Door and surround area moulding, hence the awful gap around the front edge of the Smokebox . Bachmann have'nt helped by putting the rivets in the wrong place as well, they should have been on the edge of the Smokebox Door moulding, not on the other area of the Smokebox.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I'd like to think I'd appreciate the context of the copyright infringement before deciding to take someone to task publicly on the forum. That's my main objection. Of course if it's a genuine copyright infringement, anyone is bang to rights. Can it be resolved without a public slanging match? Yes definitely and that's the thing here I feel.
mick b wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:52 amAs to the V2, I doubt very much if a Hornby Smokebox door will be much help. It looks like the V2 has a one piece SmokeBox Door and surround area moulding, hence the awful gap around the front edge of the Smokebox . Bachmann have'nt helped by putting the rivets in the wrong place as well, they should have been on the edge of the Smokebox Door moulding, not on the other area of the Smokebox.
Very good points Mick. So frustrating. Even with fitting a replacement door, you're quite right, it would make the smokebox overall shorter than it should be. The resolution would seem to be to remove the moulded rivets, fill in the gap with filler, and then use Archer's resin rivets placed in the correct location, and then it would be correct.
Hatfield Shed wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:46 amOn subject, I am 'in' for the new Bach V2, potentially less carving required to make it the way I want, especially if reports of more weight for traction in the new model are correct. A V2 has got to make speed with 50 wagon fast freights on the ECML, which the current version simply cannot do out of the box, probably Bachmann's biggest steam loco fumble since the BR standard 5MT. It's not all about appearance standing still, the running performance counts for as much with me.
Having not run my Bachmann V2s for a good while, I hadn't realised they weren't particularly quick. They are all the later chassis type (no split chassis arrangement). It will be interesting to test this as they've all been bought and built (using Graeme's excellent bodyshells) for a variety of the fish and van trains. I will be disappointed if they're very slow...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:50 pm ...Having not run my Bachmann V2s for a good while, I hadn't realised they weren't particularly quick. They are all the later chassis type (no split chassis arrangement). It will be interesting to test this as they've all been bought and built (using Graeme's excellent bodyshells) for a variety of the fish and van trains. I will be disappointed if they're very slow...
At least the speed aspect is easily fixed, I have the DCC system track voltage set such that there is 15V at the motor terminals, which has got all the 'slugs' capable of scale progress at their rated line speed. (Have a main line layout, the trains that should go fast can legitimately do so.)

No, it's the current V2's traction that's the problem, as supplied, slips like fury on full size train loads of free-rolling stock. Much excavation of the boiler sides to add lead fixes this, but this is very tedious, so something better will be welcome. (No easy fix as on my Stanier 8F which is an 'occasional visitor'; adapt the H-D diecast body to fit on the current Hornby mechanism and the weakling is transformed into a Hercules...)
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:59 am Having been directed to the similar thread on the dark side, and having read two more reviews (one from Railway Modeller, and one Model Rail review) I feel obliged to point out that some of the issues which are fairly obvious and pretty basic - such as the positioning of the rivets on the smokebox which are wrong - haven't been identified by some of the reviewers.

There's a lot good about the new Bachmann V2 but there are some basic errors that could have been easily avoided and are not easy to rectify.

I do think a replacement Hornby A3 type smokebox door might be the easiest win for making sure the smokebox rivets are against the leading edge of the smokebox, instead of being inset from the edge a good scale inch (not the case on the real thing).

One also observes from the dark side the - frankly bizarre - behaviour of the forum creator getting up in arms over the issue of copyright with a disabled contributor, well known for his artworks on the forum, who had obviously tried to observe copyright and had at least offered to remove if required. Hardly the shooting offence it appears it has been made out to be. I see nothing has changed in the near decade since I left the forum!
According to Tim Easter the smoke box door from a Hornby a3 will not fit... Source for the goose
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

davidwest wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:34 am According to Tim Easter the smoke box door from a Hornby A3 will not fit...
Challenge accepted! I know Tim as both skillful and critical, but I don't possess his artistic sensibility. If I can bodge a Mainline Jubilee smokebox door onto on an old H-D 8F body this should be possible.