Bachmann V2 release update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Bachmann V2 release update

Post by nzpaul »

I think the issue is the Bachmann smokebox is larger in diameter than the Hornby A3, not so much a case of the door won't fit but may be too small and look out of proportion. I wonder if Bachmann have a fat boiler again or is the Hornby A3 a little bit undersize??

Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Modified trial sample here. Smokebox door filed down , rear Cab windows removed (it needs the front ones out as well).

What I have now noticed on this one, is a very obvious join between the Boiler halfs . It appears to be painted Black, and the lining hasnt been carried down either, finishing in mid air. In fairness this a pre production example. The "for sale" versions maybe different/better in due course.

Bachmann, still wont be seeing any of my money !!.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-4623732
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

mick b wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:30 pm Modified trial sample here. Smokebox door filed down , rear Cab windows removed (it needs the front ones out as well).

What I have now noticed on this one, is a very obvious join between the Boiler halfs . It appears to be painted Black, and the lining hasnt been carried down either, finishing in mid air. In fairness this a pre production example. The "for sale" versions maybe different/better in due course.

Bachmann, still wont be seeing any of my money !!.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-4623732
I'd not noticed that. Bachmann really have made a hash of this. From what I understand this is a production model
Last edited by davidwest on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Problem is it took them 7 or 8 years to do this. How much longer would it take for them to correct all this and what then would they try to charge for it. 300, 350? The mind becomes a whirl.
Why has it taken soooo long for a V2 to be made.

And now the more we observe it, it seems like bachmann have tried to cut corners all over the place. Perhaps they thought we wouldn't notice?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

If a Hornby A3 door is smaller than the V2 smoke box then logic follows that Bachmann have got the boiler diameter wrong…again.

Or Hornbys could be too small, but I’d be amazed given the number of years that have passed since that models introduction if one of us hadn’t checked it against drawings. My recollection when I did my V2 mods and used a hornby door was that the hornby A3 door was spot on for an A3. The A3 door and V2 door are standard fittings abd virtually identical on the prototype. So something is amiss here.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

nzpaul wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:29 am I think the issue is the Bachmann smokebox is larger in diameter than the Hornby A3, not so much a case of the door won't fit but may be too small and look out of proportion. I wonder if Bachmann have a fat boiler again or is the Hornby A3 a little bit undersize?...
Or even both in error? This needs measurements. But no worries, Tim has indicated how the Bachmann door piece can be adjusted to make a better job of the assembly in this area.

Must admit to disappointment that Bachmann have abandoned what was the RTR OO class leading loco to tender drawbar arrangement: a strip of metal in the right location, engaging a screw locked slide concealed on the tender underside offering flexible adjustment down to scale spacing if the layout curves permitted. What doofus of a designer thought to 'improve' on that? It'll be gear coupling the coupled axles next, sigh.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Perhaps Bachmann have over-paid market-research experts telling them that an ugly combined coupling and (needless) DCC electrical connector suitable for handling by clumsy fools will result in better sales than something that suits those requiring a bit more visual refinement? Perhaps the requirement for digital "connectivity" and the potential to chuff, whistle and hiss now counts for much more than looking correct and being able to pull a decent load?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
davidwest

Post by davidwest »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:13 am Perhaps Bachmann have over-paid market-research experts telling them that an ugly combined coupling and (needless) DCC electrical connector suitable for handling by clumsy fools will result in better sales than something that suits those requiring a bit more visual refinement? Perhaps the requirement for digital "connectivity" and the potential to chuff, whistle and hiss now counts for much more than looking correct and being able to pull a decent load?
Speaker isn't even in the tender.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

drifting off topic but staying on topic regarding price , from my other hobby forum the - cost of shipping a full container from China to UK is 2,600 USD , but from 1st December the Chineese goverment have up'ed the price to 10,000 USD , now my betting Bachmann , Hornby and others have the christmas stock in their wearhouse and not relise till after beginning of December and will be profertiering .

Hello everyone,

As you would all be aware, the current global shipping crisis is upon us. Containers that used to cost $2500 USD from China to the UK now cost over $10,000 USD.

We've held off as long as we can but unfortunately, if we want to continue our long-term presence in this wonderful industry, we have to implement some price increases.

Starting from December 1st, the following price increases will be implemented:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A very simple solution make them elsewhere, which is now long overdue . The world have been stupid enough to allow China to dominate virtually all trade, and that will continue at pace, as will their total disregard for the planet etc etc .

Companies will be very naieve to think they can charge any price, and items will always sell. They might be getting a big shock in the near future , many people will struggle for basic necessites soon, that is without those who already are in that boat.

Luxury goods of all descriptions , and their makers will be the first to go, if they are not careful and realistic in their pricing etc.

In Bachmanns case, if they think the quality of the V2, and their just as bad forthcoming Caledonian 0-6-0 via Rails efforts (Battleship thickness Tender sides and Scaffold thickness Cab Roof supports I kid you not . Look on the Dark Side for photos) justify £220 plus prices for their efforts , they maybe getting some very big shocks soon !!.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well very predictably, just as any other predatory organization would, capitalist or pseudo-communist, the Chinese Totalitarian Power Machine bought its way into the market by initially offering goods that appeared to be of significantly better standard and at lower prices. Equally predictably, once competing manufacturing facilities have been put thoroughly out of business, dismantled, staff dispersed, machinery scrapped, the new market dominators are slamming the prices up.

The answer for the dissatisfied individual customer of course, if he has the ability and the willingness to try / learn, is to build models for himself, to the standards that he is prepared to accept. The speed at which gratification is obtained will be much lower, but successfully completed models will be a source of much satisfaction, and unique, not one of 10,000 clones.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

mr B wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 pm drifting off topic but staying on topic regarding price , from my other hobby forum the - cost of shipping a full container from China to UK is 2,600 USD , but from 1st December the Chineese goverment have up'ed the price to 10,000 USD , now my betting Bachmann , Hornby and others have the christmas stock in their wearhouse and not relise till after beginning of December and will be profertiering .

Hello everyone,

As you would all be aware, the current global shipping crisis is upon us. Containers that used to cost $2500 USD from China to the UK now cost over $10,000 USD.

We've held off as long as we can but unfortunately, if we want to continue our long-term presence in this wonderful industry, we have to implement some price increases.

Starting from December 1st, the following price increases will be implemented:
A good story, but story it is.

Do we seriously think that the Chinese government set the prices for container movements for companies such as:
Maersk - Copenhagen based
CMA CMG - Marseille based
MSC - Geneva based

(three out of the world top 5 container shipping companies).

They may indeed be able (almost certainly do) impact on the costs for Chinese shippers such as Cosco and have indeed been subsidising the return of containers from the world at large back to China - and so distorting the market.

Prices are going up simply on a supply and demand basis. Covid and the problems of the Evergreen ship stuck in the Suez Canal (Evergreen - Taiwanese) have resulted in ships and containers all stacked up in the wrong part of the world - hence the subsidy to Cosco to bring empty containers back to China. Empty containers are not revenue earning so a government handout is welcomed.

For the sceptics, I suggest you put something like "shipping rates to increase from China in December" into your favourite search engine and see if any of the shipping and forwarding companies mention it.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Whether true or not is irrelevant , a clear fact is China has the majority of the rest of the world by the nuts . The warning is there as to the future.
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

There I cannot disagree but if false stories about China are allowed to run rampant and then shown to be wrong, it just means the real ones will not be believed by the average person.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

As far as I can see, the base line is that Bachmann have generally charged more. This price policy appears to be also the case for their American market items and predates any current Chinese issue. Price apart, I just don't like what I've seen of the Bachmann V2.