A4 Chime whistles

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

A4 Chime whistles

Post by Graeme Leary »

Surprisingly, I have only just become aware of the 'Chime' whistles fitted to A4s and am contemplating (cost allowing) fitting these on my 8 A4 models. I see Hornby produces a TTS sound decoder (their R8107) which seems to be a sound decoder with a chime whistle. I'd be interested to know if this product has a 'reasonably' (acceptably) accurate chime sound as well as being an improvement on their earlier TTS (non-chime) sound decoders which seemed to lack synchronised 'chuff' with the wheel revolutions. (I hope I have that description correct!)

As there were some variations to when chime whistles were fitted to A4s I'd also like to know if they would be appropriate for my A4s (Grouping period/pre nationalisation) which are:-
2510/Quicksilver (Silver livery)
4492/Dominion of New Zealand (Garter Blue)
4482/Golden Eagle (LNER Green/parebolic smokebox marking)
4489/Woodcock (Workshop/Works Grey) There may be a variation as when 4489 was renamed Dominion of Canada, RCTS
Vol 2A notes a different type of (5 note) chime whistle was fitted and carried until 1949 (out of my period
of modelling ie Grouping)
4903/Peregrine (NE/Black)
4484/Falcon (LNER Green with Full black smokebox)
4468/Mallard
4489/Dominion of Canada (LNER Black) This may also be different as I understand it also had the typical North American bell which I
presume was in addition to the chime whistle and probably unlikely to have this sound available on r-t-r brands.

Any comments on the subject would be very welcome including any comparisons with the (usually) more expensive sound decoder brands (Loksound/Zimo etc) which I presume also produce a 'chime' whistle decoder.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: A4 Chime whistles

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello Graeme,
Because you have introduced a subject that interests me, I have this to say.
My opinions only.

I see that retailers in UK generally sell sound decoders around £140 fitted, but not in all cases it appears.
I have fitted Märklin decoders (which come with both Märklin and DCC protocols, large and small speaker) to fit to US locomotive models, and so the whistle was not typically the steam-boat type which might be more appropriate. That did not bother me.
And their performance and sound characteristics were better than US sourced decoders in my opinion.
(I think the bell is included, being a feature of German steamers).
I am considering (installing decoders is low in my priorities at the moment) them for English models (eg Bachmann C1 and others).
Märklin sound decoders at full retail price in Europe are €100. They come in either 8 pin or 21 pin configuration.
That is a lot cheaper than the UK sourced decoders, and I get them at times for around €80.

If you wish to investigate this, you might find a local Märklin dealer (Toottoot?) where you can hear a typical sound in a RTR model.
And there is quite a squad of dedicated Märklin fans in NZ (and even a specialized club) which/where may be useful to test what I say.
I can locate contacts if you need them.

regards
Kimball
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Graeme
Dominion of Canada has a Canadian Pacific Railway whistle and bell, so will not suit a standard A4 chime whistle.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Hi Graeme
In a similar arrangement to DOC, DONZ was fitted with a foreign whistle of NZGR origins. I've looked in Yeadon's this morning and the 1939 official photo appears to show the loco fitted with what I think is a Nathan 5 note whistle, of the type fitted to K and J classes over here. Plenty of YouTube clips to hear what they sound like but as far as a pre programmed chip, I'd say you'll be looking at a Soundtracks or Econami chip with generic American sounds. I'm sure one of those has 3 cylinder options as well so you should be able to get pretty close to what you want.
I concur with Kimball regarding the MSD3 Marklin chip, they are very good and respond perfectly well to DCC. You can definitely get a 3 cylinder exhaust but I'm not so sure about the whistle selection. I've just bought a Marklin BR10 with one in it, so when I have a moment I'll get it out and see what's available from it.

Cheers
Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks Kimball, Dave and Paul. All your comments duly noted and will follow them up in the New Year. (And thanks Paul for the reminder about the NZR type whistle in Dom of NZ - I did know this but senior moment and slipped my mind. As my main running A4 is 4492 I had better get this one right). But price will still enter into my final decision re doing all 8.

Happy New Year to all.

Graeme