NER fixed distants signals - slotted posts or not?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Trev21
GNR J52 0-6-0T

NER fixed distants signals - slotted posts or not?

Post by Trev21 »

Well - what it says up there!

Would the NER have used a slotted post for a fixed distant, given the 'slot' would be completely useless?

On the one hand, why would you? Of course the answer might be 'that's all you've got'.....
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: NER fixed distants signals - slotted posts or not?

Post by majormagna »

I would assume that they would be slotted post, though depending on the "division" of the NER you're in, it may not be.

Southern Division used mostly slotted wooden posts (with rare exception).
Central Division (The former S&DR) had solid posts, though later on, Southern and Northern Division style signals crept up.
The Northern Division primarily used lattice posts, though still with a "slotted post" style mechanism, though wooden posts could be found in some locations.
Moors Bound
Trev21
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trev21 »

Thanks Major.

I'm modelling a stretch of the Leeds Northern, and photographic evidence shows a mix of wooden and lattice posts - both slotted.

I'm thinking like you - in the absence of evidence to the contrary it would have probably been more expensive and troublesome to make a few non-slotted posts for fixed signals than just to use the standard slotted ones.... Of course they could have got a solid one from another Division, but I suspect that would have been a step too far!
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

I do believe, however, that if the fixed arm of a distant were on the same post as a stop signal, it may have simply been bolted to the post, at least that's what many other companies did.

Just remember, if you're setting your model prior to ~1925, the distant arms would be red!
Moors Bound
Trev21
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trev21 »

Happily, 1928-1930, otherwise some repainting!

Attached a pic of a couple of working electric slotted-post NER signals, among the 23 I need for my DCC layout.....

NOT intended to be exhibition-standard items of perfection by any means, and have been subjected to some minor improvements since that pic, but they are, within their limitations, accurate copies of prototype signals at the location I'm modelling. Older readers may spot their distant origins.....

Best bit is they are easy to make, (no soldering...), and cost me about £5 each - not bad for an electric signal including electrics ;-)
If anyone is interested I might get round to explaining how to make them.
Attachments
s1.jpg
s3.jpg
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Most NER signals which were "fixed" would start out as working signals so they would of course be slotted.
The PRO at Kew have most of the Railway Inspectorate reports into new and altered signal layouts and I once read the Inspectors report for the Hexham & Allendale railway just before it was opened in 1867. He pointed out that it was absurd to have have working distant signals on a single track line with maybe 5 low speed trains a day and recommended that they should all be "fixed".
When they were "fixed" they would normally have a small iron bar bolted to the post under the arm to stop it moving down and generally the green lens would either be removed or smashed and never replaced.
Trev21
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trev21 »

Thanks Pinza, great info!
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Trev21 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:45 pm Happily, 1928-1930, otherwise some repainting!

Attached a pic of a couple of working electric slotted-post NER signals, among the 23 I need for my DCC layout.....

NOT intended to be exhibition-standard items of perfection by any means, and have been subjected to some minor improvements since that pic, but they are, within their limitations, accurate copies of prototype signals at the location I'm modelling. Older readers may spot their distant origins.....

Best bit is they are easy to make, (no soldering...), and cost me about £5 each - not bad for an electric signal including electrics ;-)
If anyone is interested I might get round to explaining how to make them.
They look interesting, Trev. I for one would be interested :)

Mark
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Ditto
Trev21
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trev21 »

Ok - thanks guys.

Will take me a while so be patient, but I'll put something together and do a thread.

I'm by no means a skilled modeller - in fact I'll solder on a dropper wire and that's my limit! But these can be done with some plastic rod, some superglue, a craft knife and some broken old signals.... and to match most signal formats, not necessarily NER slotted post; in fact that's probably about the trickiest but what I needed and really not that hard ;-)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Trev21 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:45 pm... Older readers may spot their distant origins.....
Hornby Dublo.

Ingenious.