Coupled Wheelbases of LNER Locos (Request for info)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Coupled Wheelbases of LNER Locos (Request for info)

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Folks,

As part of my next Loco project, I'm on the hunt for some information please, specifically coupled wheel spacing's on the following classes

LNER A1/3
LNER B12
LNER B17
LNER D49

(Both spacing's on those with irregular spacing's between front-centre compared to centre to rear drivers where applicable please)

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Coupled Wheelbases of LNER Locos (Request for info)

Post by Hatfield Shed »

LNER A1/3 7'3"+7'3"
LNER B12 7'+7'
LNER B17 7'3"+9"
LNER D49 10'
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:55 pm LNER A1/3 7'3"+7'3"
LNER B12 7'+7'
LNER B17 7'3"+9"
LNER D49 10'
Exceptional Hatfield Shed, thank you!

Narrows the field down, as there are suitable candidates in those measurements!

Thanks once again.

Paul.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I can look up more if you want.
May I suggest getting copies of the RCTS 'Green Books' if you can find them.

Amazon has Part 2A (the Pacifics) ...here, as of this afternoon...

Part 2B (most of the 4-6-0s) .....here....

Part 4 has the D49s

Worthwhile keeping an eye open. I do have a full set, acquired at various times and prices. Very good bedtime reading and source of inspiration.
The only problem is that they are 'perfect bound', so can fall apart if treated roughly.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

drmditch wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:07 pm I can look up more if you want.
May I suggest getting copies of the RCTS 'Green Books' if you can find them.

Amazon has Part 2A (the Pacifics) ...here, as of this afternoon...

Part 2B (most of the 4-6-0s) .....here....

Part 4 has the D49s

Worthwhile keeping an eye open. I do have a full set, acquired at various times and prices. Very good bedtime reading and source of inspiration.
The only problem is that they are 'perfect bound', so can fall apart if treated roughly.
Thanks that would be appreciated, at the moment, my main aim is Ready-To-Run chassis that give a four-coupled chassis with 7'3" spacing's. Please, anyone who has guessed or worked out what class this is from that info, keep it to yourself, I'm not ready to reveal the project.

I have some RCTS grren books, I bought a few in a bundle some time back, but didn't get those in question, as, at the time, my main focus was on the books to get info for the Q1 and S1.

Thanks, Paul.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Paul: Even if it was published over three decades ago and contains a certain amount material relating to the enforced use of RTR products that we no longer have to tolerate and to which we are no longer limited, if you see a cheap copy of "Modeller's Guide to the LNER" by David Adair, it is well worth getting. It contains a lot to provoke thought, and....at the rear a full list of wheel bases, wheel sizes, and numbers of spokes for ALL classes of LNER loco.
What it cannot tell you is whether the various RTR and kit manufacturers have made their models to the correctly matching scale dimensions :roll:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Thanks Graeme,

I actually have that book, somewhere (!), and I never realised that.

It’s a good point re dimensions, though and manufacturers have got better in recent years. Despite this, the bachmann 56xx i've been using for LH&JC No.5, is around 1mm out against GWR drawings, and I do sometimes wonder why that would be the case when the info is available readily, and the dimension in question doesn’t appear to be in any way impossible for them to have done right in the first place.

Thanks.
Paul
bucoops
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by bucoops »

I borrowed the modellers guide to the LNER from the library so often, when they withdrew it they kept it aside and gave it to me!

No idea what I did with it mind :(
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

bucoops wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:20 am I borrowed the modellers guide to the LNER from the library so often, when they withdrew it they kept it aside and gave it to me!

No idea what I did with it mind :(
That was my first encounter with the book as well.

Paul.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:19 pm ...What it cannot tell you is whether the various RTR and kit manufacturers have made their models to the correctly matching scale dimensions...
I very much enjoy looking for what dimensions RTR manufacturers have chosen to 'adjust' to make an OO model practical as a production item. Bachmann I feel are most adept at this, their Ivatt Atlantic, Pepp A2, Riddles 9F, all subtly 'worked', and, "What complaints?".
Paul_sterling wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:50 pm ...Despite this, the bachmann 56xx i've been using for LH&JC No.5, is around 1mm out against GWR drawings, and I do sometimes wonder why that would be the case when the info is available readily, and the dimension in question doesn’t appear to be in any way impossible for them to have done right in the first place...
The more you know, helps inform the guess why. When the GWR realised that Brunel was wrong and to move to conform to Stephenson's gauge, the 0-6-0 wheelbase chosen was the Ramsbottom/Crewe standard dimensions of 7'3"+8'3"; which Swindon retained thereafter for all but its smallest 0-6-0 types.

So here's your model manufacturer, with - inevitably - a 57xx mechanism all in CAD, and a model mechanism for a 56xx requiring just 3" different coupled wheelbase, 7'3"+8'. Practically no one will notice, let's just repeat that part of the mechanism layout of the 57xx, takes a little cost out of the job...