trains and rolling stock of the now disused line between Honnington and Lincoln

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pastabake
NER Y7 0-4-0T

trains and rolling stock of the now disused line between Honnington and Lincoln

Post by Pastabake »

Good afternoon
My name is Stephen and I have just joined this forum. I am new to model railway's and I have decided to build a line between a village called Ledenham and Navenby in North Kesteven Lincolnshire. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas what trains and rolling stock ran on this line in the 1930s and 1940s? I do understand that ammunition and bombs were transported during WW2 to RAF Digby also stone and bricks from the respective quarry's. If anyone can give me the information I require I will be very grateful. As I say I am very new to railway modelling but I would like to get the whole thing as true as possible to the real thing. I wish you all well in your endeavours.
regards
Stephen
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: trains and rolling stock of the now disused line between Honnington and Lincoln

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello Stephen,

You may already know that Stewart Squires wrote a small book on this line, published in the Oakwood series, If you do not have a copy, it would be worth trying to get one as an initial guide. I don't know whether Alan Stennett has produced something relevant too, it may be worth checking. That line of course was the main LNER route from Lincoln to London and the south via Grantham and the GN main line, the "modern" route via Newark being part of the LMS system at the time, heading off into Nottinghamshire and the midlands. Any books you can find covering the railways of Lincoln and of Grantham are likely to contain clues about the traffic if you study them. At least one of the late Alf Ludlam's Oakwood books covers Lincoln as part of the Lincs loop line.
I imagine D2s or D3s on the Lincoln-Grantham local trains were common. Iron stone trains from the High Dyke area to Frodingham, and returning empties ran that way for some time too, with reversals at Lincoln and Wrawby. All varieties of O4 (and maybe Q4) would appear, with varied and some very distinctive wagons, well outside of the ranges that are covered by RTR or common kits. One of the Oakwood books on the North Lincs lines also includes a signalman's log showing a J11 on southbound iron ore empties.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Bunkerbarge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: trains and rolling stock of the now disused line between Honnington and Lincoln

Post by Bunkerbarge »

Alan Stennett published a superb book in 2020 called "East Lincolnshire's Lost Railways", available here:

https://www.branchstow.co.uk/eastlincol ... nstennett/

Interesting you mention Leadenham Station, very good friends of ours used to live in the station building, unfortunately before we knew them. I have looked as I passed though, a beautiful building.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

If you are interested in Lincolnshire Railways, it is worth checking out the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway bookshop.
As well as Alan Stennett's books there are some reprints of Alf Ludlam books which were I think originally
Oakwood, and of course you help one of the preserved railways which are obviously struggling at the moment.

Paul
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Make sure you go to the Lincolnshire Wold Railway Society website (LWRS) not that of the railway (LWR). I made that mistake recently and it took me a while to find the shop.
Andrew
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Is "Pastabake" still looking at this website?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.