Hornby Thane of Fife A2/2 now here.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Hornby Thane of Fife A2/2 now here.

Post by mick b »

LInk to pictures of the latest Hornby Pacific. The BR Green looks a most odd shade however !!.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-4304743
S.A.C. Martin

Re: Hornby Thane of Fife A2/2 now here.

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hornby look to have played a blinder. Looks excellent. Agree that the green isn't as deep as it should be - but the model looks excellent.

Who will be the first to backdate one of these to L.N.E.R. form I wonder? It would require a lot of mods, it has to be said, but then I've built a few of Graeme's kits and I accept more compromises around the boiler and firebox area there.

We are in an absolute golden age of LNER RTR modelling, frankly. Just enjoy it while it lasts!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

The driving wheels (if available as spares) could be re-used on a V2, maybe.....
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

A nice looking model perhaps, but do you think that £170+ is good value for a loco with a poor paint colour like that and poor lining? I wonder how many coaches it pulls?
Charlie
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Well, take it with a grain of salt, but Sam's Trains did a review of Cock o' The North in the same trim, and his engine pulled 27 coaches.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

By report these models have what appear to be the same 'black can' motor that the earlier pacifics have; and that's well proven as able to pull a good load, if there is a well chosen gear train reduction and sufficient weight on the driven wheels provided by well positioned ballast. Hornby started to get these aspects right as long ago as the Britannia release of 2007, and when tested that model started and hauled thirty Bachmann mk1 coaches on level track, including 30" radius return curves.

It had 380g bearing on the coupled wheelbase, with the CoG coincident with the centre driver, and the estimate I obtained of drawbar pull was 55gf, within the usual 14 -15% of the mass bearing on the coupled wheelbase, acting on the coefficient of friction between the tyre plating and n/s rail materials. (I had the happy experience of a physics master who demonstrated much of what we needed to know to pass the mechanics element of O level physics using model railway items; and I have been Mr 'joy of data' ever since.)
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

60526 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:22 pm A nice looking model perhaps, but do you think that £170+ is good value for a loco with a poor paint colour like that and poor lining? I wonder how many coaches it pulls?
Charlie
Having looked at one in the flesh - the green paintwork is a bit light, but well applied. There's a few small QC issues - water scoop on wrong way it seems - but other than that, it looks exceptional. £170 is around the same amount other similar models are going for these days. The time of the £99 super detail LNER Pacific is long gone I am afraid!

I am not replacing my Graeme King kit bashes though. I may get one to supplement my fleet with a few mods to represent wartime black better.