Hornby R3985 Lord President

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Hornby R3985 Lord President

Post by Kestrel »

Has anyone on here received an e-mail from Hattons to say their pre-order for 'Lord President' has been cancelled?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby R3985 Lord President

Post by mick b »

There are a couple of people saying the same on the dark side.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

They may have to settle for doing some work to create a home-brewed version then...
Ultimately finished Lord President lnerf.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Stupid question, but why are they cancelling Hornby orders? Or is this tied in with the generic coaches debacle?
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Kestrel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:26 amHas anyone on here received an e-mail from Hattons to say their pre-order for 'Lord President' has been cancelled?
Was it signed - E. Thompson :)

I used Hattons a lot in the past and at that time they were very good. A little while ago they started to lose the plot in several ways since then I have been using a different and less well know retailer who matches Hattons on price and easily beats them in service and communication.

There are several suppliers still open for pre-orders at the same price as Hattons and some offer free postage.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Rustynuts
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Rustynuts »

Yep mine got cancelled and R3979 Hush-Hush, but could supply "Earl Marischal".

Good Job I had put in duplicate orders in directly with Hornby.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am They may have to settle for doing some work to create a home-brewed version then...

Ultimately finished Lord President lnerf.jpg

Or this one !!

IMG_5171.JPG
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I finally got around to ringing Hatton's today and ended up speaking to 'Michael' in Peterborough. I said "What are you doing working for Hatton's if you're in Peterborough?" He replied with "Because they pay well."

I rang to try and sort out why my Lord President had been cancelled and he said it was something about getting fewer than they wanted from the manufacture. He couldn't answer if and when it will be available in the future.

He also said that 'Rails of Sheffield' have stopped selling Hornby. So I checked and they confirmed that and are just selling off any Hornby stock they have.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Hornby Lord President and Hush Hushs

Post by Kestrel »

Following on from above, I received the following from Hatton's today regarding Hush Hushs.

We're sorry to inform you that we have had to cancel your pre-order(s) for:

R3840 Class W1 Hush-Hush 4-6-4 10000 in LNER battleship grey
R3843 Rebuilt Class W1 Hush-Hush 4-6-4 10000 in LNER Garter blue

We are not able to acquire the stock to allocate to your pre-order. We always endeavour to honour all pre-orders but in this situation, we are unable to do so.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

This order will be cancelled automatically shortly, so no further action is required from you.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch if we can help with anything else.

Does anybody know what's happening at Hattons and Hornby?
Last edited by Kestrel on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

The rate things seem to be going, it'll probably be quicker to buy a kit from PDK and build it.....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For those willing and able to do some work, I know a man who could, in theory, still supply fairly complete sets of resin and etched parts to convert Bachmann A2s to various Thompson versions, if he had enough demand to justify the re-ordering of the etched parts. He can also cater for Hornby A4 to streamlined W1 conversions, and the P2 versions that Hornby haven't yet done - and which you might not be be able to buy even if/when they do make them, should you happen to pre-order from a retailer who has no guarantee of receiving stock for the number of pre-orders he has accepted...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Horsetan wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:29 am The rate things seem to be going, it'll probably be quicker to buy a kit from PDK and build it.....
From the PDK website the P2 for Lord President is still at the drawing stage and has been for quite a few years. So hope no one is getting their hopes up of a Bugatti nose P2 in the near future from PDK as they are likely to be disappointed.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby Lord President and Hush Hushs

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Kestrel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm Following on from above, I received the following from Hatton's today regarding Hush Hushs.
...We are not able to acquire the stock to allocate to your pre-order. We always endeavour to honour all pre-orders but in this situation, we are unable to do so...
And how do you read that, beyond the bald fact? To me it suggests that their past experience has led to confidence in an ability to 'acquire' (not 'order') stock as required to fulfill customer pre-orders; but for some reason(s) which we are never likely to know, this is now not possible.
Kestrel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm ...Does anybody know what's happening at Hattons and Hornby?
You might extend that question to Bachmann, Hattons, Hornby, Rails of Sheffield: and my answer has to be 'no'.

But the smoke signals are clear enough. Both of these retailers are no longer being supplied by one of those named manufacturers. That's no chance coincidence. What have both these retailers got in common that might have led to this withdrawal of supply? Both are engaged in having exclusive products made independent of any 'manufacturer', and there has been mention of distribution... Turf war in short.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Pre-ordering is just a bunch of hype anyway :roll: