DCC Concept 'Power Base'

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

DCC Concept 'Power Base'

Post by Graeme Leary »

To (hopefully) overcome a gradient issue, particularly with a long rake of weighted coal wagons I'm in the process of fitting the Power Base system to the main locos I will be using on it (plus Pacifics that work a 6 and 7 carriage rake which also occasionally have traction issues).

So far, so good but I came across an RMweb posting (from 2013) saying, in answer to a few odd queries that 'if you have any sound fitted locos with speakers located low in the model (fuel tanks etc) then high power magnetic fields will not do the speakers any good at all and may cause distortion rather then running issues'.

About 1/2 of my locos now have sound fitted so, if correct, this could be an issue. Can any member comment on this aspect of Power Base plus any general comments about their experience with Power Base.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: DCC Concept 'Power Base'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

This is best sorted out by experiment. I would not expect any trouble if the speaker and traction magnet are separated by half an inch or more.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: DCC Concept 'Power Base'

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks for comments Hatfield Shed and it has been pointed out by my tech assistant (ie he who does all my maintenance and electrical work) that all but one of my locos with sound decoders are locos with tenders and the speakers are installed in the tender, a very good 1/2 inch apart.

The sole tank might be an issue but it will be experimentation for that model.

Graeme