GNR Atlantic Lettering/Numerals

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

gregson3059
NER Y7 0-4-0T

GNR Atlantic Lettering/Numerals

Post by gregson3059 »

Gents,
My brother-in-law is building an LBSC design 3.5" Gauge "Maisie", i.e. a GNR Atlantic. He wants to paint this in GNR colours, rather than LNER. However he is having difficulty in sourcing GNR letters for the tender, and also numerals for the cab side and buffer beam.
Questions:
1) Does anyone know of a source of 3.5" Gauge GNR transfers?
2) How similar are GNR and LNER lettering/numerals? (He can obtain LNER versions from Fox Transfers).
Any assistance most welcome. Many Thanks John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: GNR Atlantic Lettering/Numerals

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've recently been reminded of this question, for which I had no really good answer at the time of its original posting, but as nobody else has offered any comment perhaps the little that I can say may be of some use, if I'm not too late.

I believe the GNR loco lettering and numerals were fundamentally the same style and colours as those adopted by the LNER for green locos, but the problem that I foresee if Fox LNER loco letters are used, is that of the missing letter G.

I suspect that among those who frequent model engineering forums who there may be those who know more about larger scale transfers.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: GNR Atlantic Lettering/Numerals

Post by john coffin »

I have a couple of contemporaneous painting diagrams in my collection, but not had recent time to find them,
I think the K2 would at least provide a suitable guide.

Paul