Project 65033 - a 3D printed LNER J21

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Flit
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Project 65033 - a 3D printed LNER J21

Post by Flit »

Many thanks for the headsup of sources.

Locos and rolling stock are reasonably well covered, photographed, and modelled.
Relatively, there is much less documentation of stations and their architecture - and of course they changed frequently too.
Typically, the locations that really fascinate me like Barnard Castle and Rothbury are no longer available for on site measurements.

Ken Hoole's Branch line Termini was an unrivalled template, and the disused stations website is extremely useful, though enlarging low res screen pics to look at detailing often raises more questions than provides answers.
I already have both Walton's brilliant book, and Railway Memories No2 edited by Chapman.
I follow the NERA pages, but have yet to get hold of the three NER books.

Plan dimensions are not too difficult to get reasonably accurately from historic OS 1:2500 scale plans, the cartography was generally excellent, as I guess they'll have been chain surveyed, and there are no copyright issues.
I use the often present 50ft turntable as my scale measurement when enlarging maps on screen.
Elevations though, are often much more challenging, but the research is still (mostly) fun.
The online lists of York based drawings in their archives are useful too, to locate plans and drawings, but don't seem to be cross referenced.

If only there was a national or regional archive just of station architectural drawings ! If there's a retired conservation architect out there, it would make a brilliant project.

cheers(
Tony