Project 65033 - a 3D printed LNER J21

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Project 65033 - a 3D printed LNER J21

Post by Paul_sterling »

I've all but finished the CAD work now, well nothing that impacts on the look of the loco, more down to ease and efficiency of print, to keep material use down, and improve reliability.

To get the rivet heads and bolt heads to show/print to size, I've had to model them longer than dimension, this is slightly counter intuitive because normally, resin prints display light bleed, and over-sizing on peripheral edges, but with very small sections, this is countered by the shrinkage of the resin on curing. Of course we're talking about bolt heads around 0.4mm across the flats, they are small!

The westinghouse pump is deliberately modelled in a separate CAD body, so it can be turned on or off. The same will go for the limited run of early NER and later LNER C/C1 class and J21's that I'm considering a run of, in respect of their boiler, smokebox, and valve arrangements.

The same as the loco, the intention is to add the third coal rail in as an option as well.

Those little black marks on the prints are just deposits from the cleaning station, as the last resin it washed was Elegoo water washable black, which leaves little specks, needed a flush out, and did sop after this print finished.

Like the rest of the loco, the cab underwent LOADS of changes, but its too many for me to undertake economically, and once a crew is in there, the detail isn't visible anyway!

Though I don't want to use this thread as a plug, these shells are now available for sale, please get in touch if you would like to order one.

Thanks, Paul.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I shall consult my financial department forthwith!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:37 pm I shall consult my financial department forthwith!
Thanks Graeme,

I'll be chuffed to bits if it meets your seal of approval!

Cheers, Paul.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The J21 looks great Paul. I'd be ordering one except I bought a good second-hand kit built model from a friend a couple of years ago and the fact my main areas of interest are the ex GC and GN areas so I don't need two. I might contemplate a tender though as the one I have should have a different tender I think? Need to research that a bit more.
Andrew
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Andrew,

The tenders did go through quite a few variations. Coal rail alone came in 2, 3 and 4 rail versions, as well as backed with 1/4" steel plate or not.

Frames came with oval or D cut outs (thankfully for me, 65033 has D cut outs)

Tool boxes on the top of the tender varied in shape and size too.

Thanks. Paul.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I must admit, I'm more than a little tempted, since a few J21's were assigned to the GE region for a while; what chassis can we pull to get this?

I saw you mention that you originally planned on a Hornby J15, and then later a Bachmann SECR "C-class"; but are there any others that might suit?
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

NZRedBaron wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:59 am I must admit, I'm more than a little tempted, since a few J21's were assigned to the GE region for a while; what chassis can we pull to get this?

I saw you mention that you originally planned on a Hornby J15, and then later a Bachmann SECR "C-class"; but are there any others that might suit?
Hi, It uses a Bachmann C class.

Derby 0-6-0's such as the Jinty use the same 8-8'6" wheelbase as the J21, but you are likely to spend an awful lot of time hacking the shell to make something it wasn't designed for fit, may as well use the chassis it was design around, plus you would then need to consider a tender chassis as well.

J15 was very close, but it boiler underside is part of the chassis, and as shown early on, it just wasn't a convincing look.

Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

So I've been working on the 67A superheated version. The plan is to make two limited batches of 67A boilered Locos, and a 67/67B Piston Valve engine.

67A is the easiest, and I've tackled that first, it has no boiler side feed, dome, and boiler bands are as 65033, so the only change (which makes it sound easier than it actually was) is to bring the front face of the smokebox forward, same for the chimney, and a new valve cover on the front. A Gresley Snifting valve has been added, but this can be cut off for earlier version of the 67A, or saturated variants. Vac pipes extended to match the position of the chimney/blast pipe.

67/67B is a little more difficult, the front of the Piston valves needs to be modelled, boiler side feed on LH side, and a rather attractive safety valve bonnet.

I am deliberately avoiding the Dia70 loco for now. I can't do too many at once, and I don't think there is sufficient a market to cover so many versions of the J21, simply put, whilst many will likely want 65033, for every minor detail permutation I've got to completely reslice and support the CAD, which takes time, patience, and yet more file management. Tender to Loco combinations isn't so bad, as its swapping in and out on Chitubox, but still time consuming, and first and foremost, I make these models because I want them myself, as opposed to choosing deliberately marketable products. But we'll see.

Thanks, Paul.
Attachments
20210525 Superheated 67a -1.JPG
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Paul_sterling wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:28 pm
Well, I suppose that's fair enough then; there's a few Bachmann C's going semi-cheap up at Hattons at the moment.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

NZRedBaron wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:19 am
Paul_sterling wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:28 pm
Well, I suppose that's fair enough then; there's a few Bachmann C's going semi-cheap up at Hattons at the moment.
Probably the best bet. the general purpose C-class (in black) fetches circa £70-80 usually, and is a lot less pain towards powering the J21.

Thanks, Paul.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Oh god, what am I doing now!

This is why RCTS books are dangerous!

I bought an N9 some time back, a Nu-cast (I think), and it had a number of issues, largely that it would not go around anything less than a 60" curve. I set to and resolved a lot of the gripes, but its still a wonkey shell, with shall we say poor engineering underneath. I know with my skills I'll not make a better job with a whitemetal kit, but I do stand a chance with CAD, well, sort of.

J21 is about as complete as I wish it to be (beyond trial prints of the intended Dia 67A and Dia 67B variants. The NER N / LNER N9 uses the same boiler, and is all but identical from front buffer to cab (tanks excepted) to a J21, so here we go. Isinglass doesn't have drawings for the N9/N10, but I'm reasonably confident I've got enough from the J21 drawing that it'll still be accurate.

I am considering, only considering, at this stage, using the C-class chassis once more, as the powerplant, which would free up a set of tender frames to be used on a potential J25, which in itself would be re-engineered from the J21 CAD, and using a Bachmann Jinty 3F donor. This is early days, and could frankly be pie in the sky, but I'll at least look into it. rear truck at present, will be a derivative of the Bachmann 56xx rear truck, but set to slide only.

Paul.
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

Told you...

:D :D :D :D :D
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Danby Wiske wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:15 pm Told you...

:D :D :D :D :D
Indeed you did. I can't promise I'll get to the J25, but N9 is hopefully possible.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Paul: Check the e-mail address you sent me. You should have received a tank engine drawing.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Thanks Graeme, email received, and I'll have a look in the morning after my covid vac jab.

cheers, Paul.