Flying Scotsman Coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Flying Scotsman Coaches

Post by Phil Brighton »

I haven't been able to get much actual progress made at the moment so have been looking into and doing a bit a research around something I plan to do which is model the Flying Scotsman train in its late mid late 1930s phase. This would be prior to the updating of the whole train in 1938.

I have been collecting kirk kits and specific sides before they got crazy expensive on ebay and think I have everything I need to make a 10 coach representation of the train - triplet set, hairdressing/cocktail bar/superfirst etc.

What I am not sure about however is the windows on the end door thirds/composite/brake third. I think it may be the case that on the corridor side they didnt have the 4 little ventilators at the top of the large windows until after 1938 and therefore need removing for the period of the train I am going for.

Anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Flying Scotsman Coaches

Post by jwealleans »

I'm fairly sure Nick Campling mentions when they were added in the yellow book. I'll have a look when it's to hand.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Flying Scotsman Coaches

Post by Phil Brighton »

I have that book and you are quite right. Apologies for posting without doing my own research enough first! It looks clear that this is the case for the brake third and the composite and while it doesn't say the same for the full third I think its a pretty safe assumption. Thanks.