3 1/2 inch gauge model of NER express engine

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 3 1/2 inch gauge model of NER express engine

Post by jwealleans »

I wondered about that. Would that be No. 1 in front of it, then?
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

No Jonathan, it looks more like 990 from the tender.

Actually it was of course the celebration of the opening of the Stockton and Darlington, but held near Shildon I think,
since even I am not old enough to have been there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if they have anything planned for 2025?????

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Perhaps the miniature version of the Tennant was based on the real thing as imperfectly "restored" for the Shildon event?

I've heard rumours of 2025. Given that nothing major can be planned with any confidence at this stage, I doubt that excitement is yet justified.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

990 would have been in LNER green by then, surely? Or was it repainted specially? I don't remember seeing a picture of it in the 1925 cavalcade.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Colour pictures of the Tennant as seen in Queen Street museum York and at Darlington, finished largely as per the model:

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotive ... -ner-1463/
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

It is certainly not NO 1's tender, since at that date it already had the Inside spring STIRLING tender composite that had been installed
for the White City exhibition in 1912.

It on later reflection might well not be the S&D exhibition, since the Tennant does not have a number on its chimney base
for the Shildon runs. Could as Graeme has suggested be the opening of Queen Street mueum under the LNER.

Somewhere I have some different pictures of the S&D run, but now I have to find them.

Paul
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

On checking I am pretty sure that the photo is around the time of the opening of
Queen Street Museum sometime 1937-38, when 990 was preserved by the LNER,
as in GNR Livery.

Paul
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

john coffin wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:07 pm On checking I am pretty sure that the photo is around the time of the opening of
Queen Street Museum sometime 1937-38, when 990 was preserved by the LNER,
as in GNR Livery.

Paul
I suspect it may be later than that, going by the van in the background.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... -set-no-1/

D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having had another careful look through Hoole's book this morning, paying more attention this time to the liveries rather than other things in the photographs of various classes of loco, and then reading relevant captions, I think I've established something that Hoole doesn't say in the main text and which isn't presented as a single organised piece of information.
It looks as if there was another livery period, between the end of Fletcher's ornately lined livery and the establishment of the first T.W. Worsdell standard livery of green with crimson borders. This livery appears to have been green without contrasting borders, and the livery in monochrome photos looks like that of the even later Wilson Worsdell / Vincent Raven eras BUT with inset corners to the panel lining. ALSO, there's one photo seemingly showing a Fletcher tender in this post-Fletcher livery but still having three separate panels of lining on its side, while another photo shows possibly the "same" livery on a new Class 8 Tennant-committee tank engine with the tank sides lined as a single long panel. In one caption the green is stated to be "olive green" and the black lining edged with yellow rather than the white of the later era.
True students of the NER probably know much more about this, but it is all new to me.

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thank you all for your fascinating insights into the possible photo dating and the livery changes.
After I posted that photo and as I was going to bed, I realised two things:
1. It is possible that the locomotives in the photo were especially repainted for an event
2. I had to down-size the photo (original was 6480 x 4345 pixels) to get it into this forum, so the darker reproduction is certainly not as good as the original. If anyone requires the original I am allowed to share it (4.8mb) but of course only for personal use.

Thanks Graeme for the link to the preserved engines site, some great photos there.

On the forum to which Pete (greenglade of this parish) referred me, there has been quite some interest in the model from model engineers. It transpires that the model was offered for sale in 2004 by Station Road Steam.
The seller at that time believed the model was made in the 1920s which is the summation of the model engineer in Brisbane who looked the engine over and gave it a brief run test under compressed air.
All the information is still available on Station Road Steam site under Tennant.

To sum up even though I am convinced that a darker layer of green has been overlaid, I intend to keep the engine in the same condition I purchased it.
Perhaps the only addition I may make (because the cab interior is so shabby anyway) is to make up a stained wood interior.
That is well within my limited capabilities because I love working with wood, and this will be done in 1mm stripwood or similar.
I just have to figure out a method of installation that does not require glue, which is anathema to me on a project of this nature.
I will wait for any advice from modellers as to how to make affixing on the metalwork of the cab.

regards
Kimball Thurlow