Uncertain origin on an LNER B1, any thoughts?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Uncertain origin on an LNER B1, any thoughts?

Post by NZRedBaron »

I just got a Thompson B1 off of Ebay- a post-war Apple Green with unshaded lettering/numbering engine, as the class leader number 1000 Springbok.

I'm not sure as to the origin of the model though- the seller listed it as being a Mainline model, with others saying it was Replica Railways, and others still saying it's a Bachmann model. Any help?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Uncertain origin on an LNER B1, any thoughts?

Post by jwealleans »

It could be any one of those. What does it say on the box or on the model itself?
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

It's still in the post, and due soon, but given that it apparently had a product code of 11012, I'm suspecting it might be a Bachmann model; which if it is, would be a bit of a relief, as I've heard that locos that were built by Mainline Models are a bear to maintain.
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

NZRedBaron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 am It's still in the post, and due soon, but given that it apparently had a product code of 11012, I'm suspecting it might be a Bachmann model; which if it is, would be a bit of a relief, as I've heard that locos that were built by Mainline Models are a bear to maintain.
By and large they are one in the same, all made by Kader.

Some of the Mainline stuff got re-motored, such as the J72, but in regards to the B1, I am unsure.

Paul.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

NZRedBaron wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 am ...I'm not sure as to the origin of the model though- the seller listed it as being a Mainline model, with others saying it was Replica Railways, and others still saying it's a Bachmann model.
You can rule out Mainline, if it's pre-Bachmann then it is Replica. But as already mentioned, from Kader's factory, with a split chassis construction on the same principles as Mainline.

Easy recognition: the Replica mechanism had traction tyres on the rear wheelset, if not present, then grooves in those tyres.

Incidentally, the current Bachmann B1 on a regular wiper pick-up, steel axle wheelset mechanism still has the same body tooling first seen on the Replica model. If memory serves Iain Rice rated it the best looking RTR OO steam loco on release. It's proved a very useful loco body for late LNER and BR(ER) steam 'kit bashing': can be mangled into a body for a Thompson B2, K1, O1
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I suspect that there was a very early version of the Kader B1 chassis with a pancake motor, giving decidedly less "refined" performance than the later versions with Can motors and worm / pinion drive.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Problem I had with both Replica and Bachmann B1's was bulging of the plastic wheel centres so they knocked against the rods. I have put the Replica body onto a Bachmann chassis as the motor seems better quality, and added two Hornby B1's to the fleet.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Update: I've looked around, and I think I've seen a similar model on Hampshire Models' website; and if it's accurate, then it's likely to be a Replica Railways model of the B1.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

My Bachmann B1s on the current mechanism are allocated to KX and in 'workaday' condition which covers some of the lack of refinement in appearance; while my one very spiffy Hornby B1 now represents Hitchin's 'Oliver Bury' which appeared to be something of a pet at the time steam was on the way out, and is accordingly barely work stained, so that the excellent exterior appearance doesn't go to waste.

The Bachmann split chassis mechanism in the B1 was one of the best of this type in my experience, none of them had misalignment of the chassis halves which bedevilled such as the V2, and comfortably achieved the longest service of the various models with this drive. And the can motor Bach used in most of their split chassis is a good one, never had a failure, and am slowly recycling them into kit and RTR mechanisms various. (Had to cut off a couple of worms, because were they on tight or what?)