Paint Removal

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

roverman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Paint Removal

Post by roverman »

I don't contribute much to this excellent forum (but learn loads from it) but I do hope this "discovery" might be of interest:

Current advice re removing paint from both commercial models and from plastic kit built stuff seems to vary between brake fluid (which works but very slowly and does seem to slightly affect some plastics) and Dettol (never tried).

Anyway, Nitromors old formula would happily dissolve the toughest of finishes "while you wait" but at the same time was guaranteed to melt plastic and is quite painful on skin! Useful on Hornby Dublo metal bodies and abandoned white metal projects - will also melt some glues.

I recently tried the modern formula Wilko own brand paint stripper on a test piece of plasticard for a few hours when it did no harm at all to the plastic. It was also 100% successful removing the paint from a Lima class 33 bodyshell and had no effect at all on the plastic beneath. The stuff comes in a white screw top plastic container (500ml) and although there is no mention of using it on plastic I can confirm it works perfectly on the plastic that Lima used on the class 33! It's been stripped for over a fortnight now and there's nothing untoward happened over time - they're moulded in bright yellow if anybody is interested.

Might be of interest if some of the other forum members could pass on their experiences.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Paint Removal

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It's worth repeating that the tampo printed numbering, lettering, lining, etc. on Bachmann's OO product 'floats off' with nothing more sophisticated than being dampened with white spirit. Usually the print is released within about 30 seconds from application. Obviously some care is required for selective removal, such as a digit or two within a lined out panel. The underlying body colour paint is unaffected. Altogether a very useful feature.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Paint Removal

Post by mick b »

Have a look here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-4020511

I have used the Caustic Soda and Meths method mentioned, without any problems.