Modelling East Anglia's Railways in 2mm Scale

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Modelling East Anglia's Railways in 2mm Scale

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all

I created this document back in March 2021. Will be updating it soon, but as I've just joined this forum, I thought it would be good to share it.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Enjoy!

Stu
(Hopefully it's attached!)

(Note: This has now been updated and is attached on a Post below)
Last edited by 03piggs on Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Modelling East Anglia's Railways in 2mm Scale

Post by PGBerrie »

Nice document - I've been collecting something similar in an Excel file, but for N gauge in general.

Peter
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Thanks Peter!

Someone did suggest I do one other companies, but for sanitys sake I'll leave that for Now!

Haha! :lol:

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all.

Attached to this post should be the 2nd edition of my document about modelling the railways of East Anglia.

Please feel free to add comments on here about any possible improvements, products that you think should be added or any models that I have missed.

Also, if anyone would like to write a review this document, please feel free to contact me off group.

Hope you find it intresting, and that you are inspired to pick an ex-GE location for you next project.

Stu
Attachments
Modelling East Anglia's railways in 2mm Scale v2.0 December 2022.pdf
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Stu,
That's something new to me, how far do you go with these sort of lists? If I was modelling GER or LNER(GE), perhaps a link to signalling might be of interest? A link to relevant books? I model 4mm so managed to find the Paul Goldsmith document, very interesting.
Regards
Charlie
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

The O4 used to be available as a Foxhunter kit with either a Belpaire or round-topped boiler - I've just built one of the latter type. The kits occasionally turn up on e-bay etc.

Peter
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

60526 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:41 pm Stu,
That's something new to me, how far do you go with these sort of lists? If I was modelling GER or LNER(GE), perhaps a link to signalling might be of interest? A link to relevant books? I model 4mm so managed to find the Paul Goldsmith document, very interesting.
Regards
Charlie
The production of this list was consequential upon Paul Goldsmith's massive efforts over several years, over 2 decades even. That has a comprehensive booklist so why duplicate it? Read the content of the two lists together for the factual information - there is more than enough of it!

Why don't you do the research on signalling and add your contribution? Mine was the coaching stock section in Paul's list, plus assisting with the annual updates.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

PGBerrie wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:08 pm The O4 used to be available as a Foxhunter kit with either a Belpaire or round-topped boiler - I've just built one of the latter type. The kits occasionally turn up on e-bay etc.

Peter
Thanks for this Peter.

I'll make a note of this and add it on on v2.1

I did look on the NGS list of privious kits and this one didnt crop up.

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

60526 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:41 pm Stu,
Regards
Charlie
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your comment.
When I produced the 1st version of this, it was done to be similar but not the same as Paul's document, so I omitted some of the 'features' to streamline it a bit.

When you mention signaling, what aspect are you talking about? I have a link to some of the manufactures of signal kits and parts on the last page. If you mean GE/LNER Signaling practices, then I wouldn't really want to include that as that would be a book all in itself! :lol:

As regards the list of books, it would also be a long list to include, but some sort of link or reference to where someone could look for inspiration or guidance for researching a model would be a good idea.

Stu
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

The production of this list was consequential upon Paul Goldsmith's massive efforts over several years, over 2 decades even. That has a comprehensive booklist so why duplicate it? Read the content of the two lists together for the factual information - there is more than enough of it!

Why don't you do the research on signalling and add your contribution? Mine was the coaching stock section in Paul's list, plus assisting with the annual updates.
[/quote]
Not sure where I implied a duplicate list? I know very little about signalling, best for somebody in the know to consider this. The easy option is to buy the likes of Dapol working signals because they might look right, I will be looking I'm eventually after working signals, I don't want to buy the likes of the Dapol signals but would prefer to identify what signals are relevant to a secondary BR(GE) line and probably buy the parts from the likes of Wizard, probably muck up a few parts before they work properly, but will get ore fun from it. So the reference to books is a good start.
Charlie
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all,

Version 2.1 of this document has now been released and is attached.

Thanks for all who have helped me keep this updated.

Part of me would like this reviewed in the NGS journal or the one for 2mm society. (Or any other magazine, like Ngaugenow) so if anyone can do this who is connected to these, please DM me.

Enjoy!

Stuart
Attachments
Modelling East Anglia's railways in 2mm Scale v2.1 Feb 2023.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Don't forget all the large ex-LNER classes which were seen at Cambridge on running in turns from Kings Cross. I'm assuming Cambridge counts as East Anglia (although the way it has grown recently it could be another suburb of outer London :wink: ).

On my spotting site, I did create a photo page called 'Cambridge', which can be found at https://www.spottinglogs.co.uk/cambridge (I hope)

I have put a few photos of the locos seen at the station, but you would have to actually model that location to justify many of them. There were even a few WC/BB Pacific's there when the Britannias were withdrawn temporarily due to their driving wheels moving on the axles soon after delivery.

Also many locos moving to/from Stratford works were often stabled at Cambridge during weekends, before continuing their journeys - so that a multitude of classes which never worked in that area could be seen.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/