Sonic Models A5

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sonic Models A5

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Received the one I ordered on Tuesday14th earlier today (BR early crest), and it's a very good model. Ran sweetly and quietly from the box, neat construction, looks right, main dimensions are correct, shallower than normal flanges - 0.7mm deep - ample weight for traction balanced above the centre of the coupled wheelbase, thoughtful touches like an easily removeable cab roof for anyone wishing to install crew, neatly applied detail, glazing paint and lining: what's not to like?

Lets have many more LNER group subjects from this source, please...
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Sounds nice, but I'll stick doggedly with my kit / scratch built version, even if the bunker is too narrow and the finish almost inevitably less perfect than that of a product of high tech manufacture.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 am Sounds nice, but I'll stick doggedly with my kit / scratch built version, even if the bunker is too narrow and the finish almost inevitably less perfect than that of a product of high tech manufacture.
[/quote

I find this both refreshing, and a very sane philosophy.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Some fiddling with my A5, to reduce the spring loading on the bogie and slightly increase its downward travel, while ensuring that the retaining screw will not again fall out, with a little threadlock.
Pebbles wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:48 pmI find this both refreshing, and a very sane philosophy.
I should think most contributors in this section will have a good stock of kit and quite possibly scratchbuilt models. For sure I am not getting rid of any of mine, they happily run alongside the RTR products: but I am very grateful for the latter, as one whose primary reason for having a model railway is timetable operation. If others are prepared to operate the loco, carriage and wagon works, I will cheerfully purchase any suitable good quality items they produce.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I have mine, also. The photos below show 69820 after a light weathering by me. The loco came complete with front and back lamps, although I haven't tried removing them, as stopping passenger is more relevant than express lamp code.

For those interested, there is a nice colour photo of 68920 at Derby Midland in July 1959. This can be found in the January 2019 issue of Backtrack magazine, and it is listed as Colour-Rail image BRE 197.

IMG_5936.JPG
IMG_5937.JPG
IMG_5938.JPG
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

I have been watching the list of faults some people have had with this, and am very happy to report mine arrived today with none of them - just perfick! only time for a short run up and down - pretty quiet, a full bedding in run will have to wait for Saturday's club session.

Felt I had to redress the balance.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

My beastie arrived this morning and I'm very impressed. No major issues or problems and those wheels should make an EM conversion possible with a wee back to back adjustment - not forgetting some washers to address excessive side play.
Maybe a few gentle fettles and this model is remarkable value...
So how how about an N5 next then? :lol:
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

RayS wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:27 pm I have been watching the list of faults some people have had with this, and am very happy to report mine arrived today with none of them - just perfick! only time for a short run up and down - pretty quiet, a full bedding in run will have to wait for Saturday's club session.

Felt I had to redress the balance.
Anyone who has read these kinds of new model pages at 'the dark side' will know that it is required to criticise anything and everything because it gives the impression of being an 'expert'.

I remember one comment about a newly released loco which insisted they would not purchase it as the whistle was placed 1mm too far from the cab compared with official drawings. I mean.... really?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

mine arrived this morning post (not pre-order) , runs nice - had to slack the front bogie screw , the rear bogie needs less springy-ness also .

well and truly run in (loft layout roundy roundy) will test haulage next .
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:00 pm shallower than normal flanges
This worries me a bit if I'm honest.

I've got quite a few old points (i.e. intended for older larger flange wheels) and 2nd radius curves that my older stock tends to handle better than the newer stuff.

I'm sorely tempted by such a handsome model (even if they never ran anywhere near the location my M&GNJR inspired layout) but I'm concerned she won't like my less than ideal trackwork.

Has anyone tried one on tighter radius curves?

Jim de Griz
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I have on on the way, Jim and I intend to take it to Grantham's next show to try out. That uses Code 100 rail and some pretty tight pointwork in the fiddle yard. I'll let you know how it performs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Jim de Griz wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:09 pm ...I've got quite a few old points (i.e. intended for older larger flange wheels) and 2nd radius curves that my older stock tends to handle better than the newer stuff.

I'm sorely tempted by such a handsome model (even if they never ran anywhere near the location my M&GNJR inspired layout) but I'm concerned she won't like my less than ideal trackwork.

Has anyone tried one on tighter radius curves?
I have now, and it is second radius plain track curve capable. But it is on the limit, won't tolerate any deviation from a smooth curve, no doglegs or bumps of any sort, and a reverse curve formed of two R2 pieces directly connected is liable to have it off the rails.

But the standard set track point with its R2 substitution radius is no go, carrying wheels fall off and the coupled wheels are tight on the main curved element, which of course is necessarily less than R2, because there are two straight sections in the curved road.

None of this is to do with the flanges, put deeper flanged wheelsets on and it will still derail: and there will be a further problem in that the bogie wheel flanges may well contact the front platform underside.

(The track pieces used are Hornby system six, well used but all good and flat, salvaged from a friend's old layout to enable me to undertake such testing.)

The model is reliable on Peco Streamline 'small radius' points (nominal 24" radius), and will go through a crossover made from these.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Sonic Models A5/MGNR

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi but the MGNR lines did have A5 tanks pictures show mainly Norwich Thorpe(32A)based or sub shedded examples in the area you seek, working along with the Dereham & Thetford areas so your clear to run it.jj
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Although one would have to be a bit careful, if accuracy is required; because the Norwich based examples were there between 1951 and 1956. This would mean only the early crest models are appropriate.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

I would be interested to see a photo of, or a reference to, an A5 on the ex-M&GN system - not ex-GE or ex-Norfolk and Suffolk Joint. All the locations mentioned (Norwich Thorpe, Dereham and Thetford) are ex-GE.