Sonic Models A5

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Sonic Models A5

Post by Woodcock29 »

Wow have just heard the announcement by Hornby Magazine of the Sonic Models A5.

GC fans should be happy. Various versions proposed and supposedly out around the end of 2021.

Lets hope it proves to be a good model.

Andrew
Woodcock29

Re: Sonic Models A5

Post by Woodcock29 »

I've just looked on the Rails of Sheffield site, they are the exclusive retailer.

Rather bizarre there is a drawing of an LNER black version with strangely positioned white lining. But when you go into the pre-order page there is nicely red lined black version as 5024.

Andrew
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

It's one hell of an announcement, and tbh I am not surprised that someone has announced it. I expected Bachmann to follow up their D11 and J11 with this, but they never did. Excellent for Sonic - pre-order from me will be forthcoming for at least one. It's too good looking to ignore!
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

I've ordered one (having missed out on the OO Works 4-4-2 tank a few years ago I'm not letting this one get away!)
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Interestingly Yeadon has a photo of 5045 in what is described as black with red and white lining. The Sonic drawing appears to be only white.
Anyway we learn something new everyday in this hobby.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

She looks beefy and beastly; and given that my layout is meant to be somewhat generic, an A5 might well look at home on it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Far be it from me to indulge in "sour grapes" when I'm just finishing the livery on a hand-built version, but, looking at the Hornby mag YouTube presentation...

GOLD coloured coupling rods?

Angular corners to parts of the lining that should be rounded.

Chimney shape?

Banana shaped plastic coal rails.

Black and white illustrative film doesn't show a GCR Robinson A5 at all - one loco seen is a Hawthorn-Leslie built loco to the changed post-grouping design, the other I believe is an A8, not an A5.

An un-proven new "manufacturer" in OO scale (or is it another non-manufacturer, commissioning construction by a foreign factory making money for a dangerous regime?)

Only available from a source that I avoid on account of past dealings.

Video presentation featuring the unfortunately prevalent modern obsession with the use of "so" to commence every statement.

I'll be happy with the loco I already have thanks, known faults included.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

As one who will take all the suitable RTR OO models that are available I am definitely in for a purchase when available, there's more to like than not; as a basis for working up to look the way I like, this looks like a good start.

I do share the following two concerns.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:15 am ...An un-proven new "manufacturer" in OO scale (or is it another non-manufacturer, commissioning construction by a foreign factory making money for a dangerous regime?)...
But model railway is a droplet against the Niagara Falls of trade with China. I was uneasy when young inside a major multinational finding myself in commercial dealings with the USSR, involving their well known state organ, whose initials begin with 'K'. But seen from the other end of my career, this has turned out somewhat better than my expectations. Still hostile, but not threatening use of their thermonuclear arsenal every month with an 'R' in it. The Chinese historically less aggressive, and have maintained a multi-millennial national stability. Better potential there for future co-existence would be my estimate.

As for the 'newcomer' aspect, provided there is no powerful contra-indication, I am in for a punt. (Riding the wave that has me at 4-0 - Heljan, Rapido, Oxford Rail, dodged the bullet that was DJM on reading the product spec.)
...Only available from a source that I avoid on account of past dealings...
I am not alone then! Supping with the devil, use long spoon. The price is large enough that credit card protection is effective...
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I'm generally rather with Atlantic. With so many societies around there is no excuse not to consult with them. It is always a great help when the designer is in harmony with their subject, as all to often simple errors occur through lack of research. In the case of reviewers, why oh why don't they put a rule over the product before getting carried away with the paint finish.
The coupling rod issue, well 5167 appears to have acceptable rods although what about oval buffers or have I missed something? I am somewhat uneasy about the width of the front foot plating, I know that it should be 8ft but, to me, it seems a tab narrow relative to the buffers.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Tony Wright has been assisting Sonic Models with information and examples of models for quite some time on this project. So I think we can expect quite a reasonable model.
What we've seen so far are only pilot models.
The main issue I see so far is the shape of the chimney which has too straighter sides to it and virtually no top rim.
The 'banana' coal rails I'm sure will get sorted.
Andrew
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A 50/50 view with TW's involvement, he was also involved in the Heljan O2 , in my opinion a very poor design, and model, no idea what his involvement actually was , or on this one,,.

Time will tell on this one. No interest to me unlesss they produce the A5/2 version in due course. I did notice on the video the Green version was rocking up and down.

As always with a pre production model, a lot can change on the final version. I do wonder at times, if these pre production versions cause more fuss/hype than is ever justified.
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Kyle1987 »

I'd be happy to take a punt on this - apparently Sonic Models' N Gauge 56XX was quite well received, so at least there's a little bit of precedent there.

I'm quite curious about the white-lined black LNER livery (https://railsofsheffield.com/collection ... ed-no-5045); it is something quite different from anything I've ever seen before, but I don't believe it is prototypical. Is anyone able to shed some light on this?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

mick b wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm ...As always with a pre production model, a lot can change on the final version. I do wonder at times, if these pre production versions cause more fuss/hype than is ever justified.
The competitive landscape pushes new entrants in this direction: got to get plenty of attention if the product is going to sell fast enough to deliver the cashflow to continue operation. The paint treatments seen so far were applied by hand to EP samples, and don't necessarily reflect the intended final appearance of the model, both physical structure and livery. (Emerging information on RMWeb, treat with usual caution.)
mick b wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm A 50/50 view with TW's involvement, he was also involved in the Heljan O2 , in my opinion a very poor design, and model...
I would take the view that Tony Wright's input is likely to have been very sound, what the manufacturer then does with it is all and only their responsibility.

The A5 samples look better than what I can achieve by kit building, and that being the case I will take it. (I am an enthusiast for schedule operation above all else, not nearly so keen to run the loco, carriage and wagon works, so if someone else will supply that I am all for it. Others may naturally have very different preferences.)

[Tangent] The O2 is an interesting 'curate's egg'. A reliable and heavy mechanism that will haul a full size mineral drag, the commendably fine flanges and well proportioned side rods, the overall appearance of the subject well captured, stand on the credit side. The awkward constructional technique, poor materials choices and significant detail errors and absences have to be accepted, and the latter are at least fairly simple to correct.[/Tangent]
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

I think they said on the video it was only the green pilot model that was hand finished. The black model was properly done. I could be wrong though.

I agree with Hatfield Shed' s view on TWs involvement.

I've ordered 5024 in black lined out in red.

As I said above there is a photo in Yeadon of 5045 in black lined out in what is described as GC mixed traffic livery of red and white in 1925. I suspect that might be what is intended by what appears to be the white lined version on Rails site.

Only time will tell and maybe we don't have to wait long?

Andrew
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

In response to Pebbles above some had round buffers and some oval (and there were variations in the oval shape as well as on other GC locos). Also I think the buffer beam width in relation to the buffers looks ok compared to photos.

Andrew