Sonic Models A5

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

West Norfolk branch
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Sonic Models A5

Post by West Norfolk branch »

2 of these locomotives were allocated to Norwich from 1951 to 1955. For most of this time the locos involved were 69824 and 69826, 69824 was moved to Lowestoft in late 1955, 69829 taking its place at Norwich, all three of these locos were at Lowestoft through 1956.
Does any one know what routes they were used on during this time and were they fitted with a Westinghouse pump?
Worsdell#67261
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Worsdell#67261 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:15 am Far be it from me to indulge in "sour grapes" when I'm just finishing the livery on a hand-built version, but, looking at the Hornby mag YouTube presentation...

GOLD coloured coupling rods?

Angular corners to parts of the lining that should be rounded.

Chimney shape?

Banana shaped plastic coal rails.

Black and white illustrative film doesn't show a GCR Robinson A5 at all - one loco seen is a Hawthorn-Leslie built loco to the changed post-grouping design, the other I believe is an A8, not an A5.

An un-proven new "manufacturer" in OO scale (or is it another non-manufacturer, commissioning construction by a foreign factory making money for a dangerous regime?)

Only available from a source that I avoid on account of past dealings.

Video presentation featuring the unfortunately prevalent modern obsession with the use of "so" to commence every statement.

I'll be happy with the loco I already have thanks, known faults included.
So, I may be a new member here, but this just seems like HARD reaching, first off these are samples and I doubt the final product will have that, second it's not their faults that ths LNER locos video didn't show the A5/1s, also it's their first venture into 00 Gauge so give them the benefit of the doubt. I for one, who has no time or money to afford kit or scratch will be pre-ordering one, plus I have no skill at kit building anyways.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Finally got around to viewing the Hornby Mag video, and suspect a feature that if it is present on the production model I shall like very much indeed. The flange depth appears shallower than 'standard' (not that RTR OO really has a thoroughgoing complete set of standards, mostly suggestions that are honoured in the breach as much as the observance). At present Heljan consistently use a shallower than usual flange, which shows to real advantage on the small pony truck wheel of the O2. Further moves in this direction are welcome.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Just had a chat with the Rails of Sheffield mob; they confirmed that the A5 is due around about the end of Q2; either end of May or early June.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Okay, cheeky update from Rails just now; the models are at the quayside in China, waiting to be loaded onto a ship- delivery date tentatively scheduled for late February or early-ish March.

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news ... ank-update
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Apart from the trio that were based in Norfolk, I'm sure somewhere I have seen reference, and indeed a picture, of an A5 en route to Southend VIc, possibly while LIverpool St turntable was being enlarged to take Britannias. Can anybody confirm and if so give loco numbers? Thanks
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

I read the last two posts a little too quickly and thought there was a suggested connection between members of this class being based in Norfolk and China... and then realised my mistake! :lol:
Chas
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

apart from pre-orders , one wonder's if any are for general sale ?

(driffting off the forth comming Kato Big Boy seems in high demand)
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

mr B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:26 pm apart from pre-orders , one wonder's if any are for general sale ?
Saw earlier today that RoS are now showing these models as in stock and available, so placed an order. It all went through and I have a shipping reference, so it seems that a pre-order was unnecessary. Of course the proof will be the arrival of the goods. And here's hoping it's as good as the photos and videos various suggest.

(I intend resisting 'the need' to pre-order for as long as possible. I made an exception for the NRM/Bachmann Deltic Prototype, as I was pretty sure that would briskly sell out the first production run; and then for the NRM/Rapido Stirling single, because that was the only way to register a vote for the big tender. I did float the idea that offering both tenders might be the yet better option, and still wonder if that might have flown had it been offered.)
paul_anderson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by paul_anderson »

Rails have not contacted me despite pre-order. Should I panic?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I don't think you should. Keep in mind that not all pre-orders are equal; I didn't study the A5 versions that were shown in stock, arrived at the version I wanted and clicked: that's for a BR early crest DCC ready. It's quite possible that not all liveries have been delivered, and they definitely weren't showing any DCC sound versions: so pre-orders on the latter definitely cannot yet be fulfilled.

Already read yesterday of a customer with a pre-order getting notification that his card was being charged, (which alerted me to potential availability of these models) so the process of dealing with the pre-orders RoS have taken that are capable of fulfillment is underway.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Many years ago I pre-ordered a limited production run model from a dealer I had dealt with for years. When I found out that the models were being despatched I phoned only to be told that they had sold out. I asked whether they kept a listing and supplied in sequence of date ordered. Apparently no such sequential list existed. I have never ordered from them again!
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I shouldn't be, but I am tempted by these engines!
There are several questions however, to which a quick trawl through this thread and others on the 'other side' has not produced answers.

My interests would require one of the Hawthorn Leslie 1925/6 built engines. Probably in 1940s condition when they were all based on Darlington. Does anyone know if the manufacturer is intending to produce one of these?

Some of the currently released models do have the lower dome. Do any have the 'built up' LNER chimney?
(Preferably not the earlier and cruder 'flowerpot' version!)

I am assuming that I might need to modify:-
- The cab roof (possibly)
- Spectacles (definitely)
- Lower curvature to frames under the smokebox/boiler (definitely)
- Front sandbox replaced above footplate (definitely)
- Chimney (if no manufactured version available) (definitely)
- Change to LH drive (definitely)
- replace the coal rails on the bunker (if they as wobbly as published pictures show!)
- repaint in plain un-lined black. (and advantage of the 1940s though probably not if one was alive at the time!)

I would not bother about the overall width (reduced by 2" (.66mm) from the Gorton version, nor worry about the increase in wheelbase of 4" (1.33mm) between the trailing bogie wheels and the leading coupled wheels.

I do think that the price is quite reasonable (for current times) and much lower than the cost of scratch/kit building.

I would be grateful for other views and (polite) opinions!

-
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I think this is a case of what's been shown as samples covers what will be produced; and your listed alterations applied to the 'best fit' version will be the way forward to obtain a representative of the batch the LNER ordered for deployment to the North Eastern section.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Or buy the 52F Models kit version.