Help: I’ve wired up a split chassis loco backwards!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Help: I’ve wired up a split chassis loco backwards!

Post by Jim de Griz »

The catch is, I can’t figure out how it could be possible to do so!

The wheels sit directly on the chassis, the motor is held between the two halves, there is no ‘wiring’ for me to have gotten wrong, but regardless my Bachmann V3 runs backwards.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Does anyone know how to fix it?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Help: I’ve wired up a split chassis loco backwards!

Post by richard »

I don't know the Bachmann V3, but when I had a chassis go backwards (brand new 'Poole' Farish HST bogie), it was because a magnet was reversed. Apparently a relatively common problem although I think this was the only time I've seen it.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

From memory, for the Split chassis Bachmann locos reversal of polarity is achieved by undoing the screws and clip-on bits such as the keeper plate that hold the two halves of the chassis together, and turning the motor can through half a turn so that the external sprung motor contacts connect to the opposite sides.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:48 pm From memory, for the Split chassis Bachmann locos reversal of polarity is achieved by undoing the screws and clip-on bits such as the keeper plate that hold the two halves of the chassis together, and turning the motor can through half a turn so that the external sprung motor contacts connect to the opposite sides.
That did the trick!

Thank you.