New to loco building

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Griff
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

New to loco building

Post by Griff »

I thought for sometime about building a loco kit but have up to now stayed shy of it. Any suggestions to were to start?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New to loco building

Post by jwealleans »

What area do you model and did you have anything in mind. Can you solder brass and/or whitemetal and have you built rolling stock kits?

A simple 0-6-0 is the best place to start - one of Arthur Kimber's kits if you want a brass loco, or something like a K's J72 in whitemetal. Replace the chassis with a Comet substitute. The Comet chassis under a plastic J72, J52 or with some work a J71 body will also allow you to work on getting a running chassis with the advantage of the body being ready made.

Expand on what you've been thinking about for us and I'm sure you'll be given plenty of advice.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Griff wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm I thought for sometime about building a loco kit but have up to now stayed shy of it. Any suggestions to were to start?
a Dapol kit :mrgreen:
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Hi

You don't mention gauge, if O gauge you won't go far wrong with one of Jim's kits..

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/0%20Gauge%20Locomotives.html

Pete
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

The first kit I built was a Craftsman C12, I still think it was an excellent "teacher" kit. Being all brass it didn't require a temp controlled iron or any other fancy toys although I'd recommend getting a decent temp controlled iron all the same if you don't already have one.
I'm not sure if Craftsman kits are still around but there's others to choose from, Judith Edge do some kits that might be suitable for a first effort, not the NER electric types though, they're "advanced"....
JW has a good point with comet chassis combined with a plastic body, the chassis requires the most accuracy during construction so getting your head around a Comet 0-6-0 or similar would be a good start.

Paul
Griff
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Griff »

Sorry should have stated oo gauge
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

As someone who designs kits in etched metal, I would ask whether or not you have any experience in terms of using a soldering iron,
if not then, you should think about getting some practice by starting with a couple of etched metal vans. I normally suggest that people
do not try on a model that they like, but rather any old thing, then if it goes wrong, it is easier to accept the failure, but it all gives
experience. As you get experience you can always go back and rebuild it. Learning to solder does cost a few bob though, which is
why practicing on some thing smaller is a better bet, you don't need to spend on special irons and so on, you can probably, these days
by something useful for under £ 20.00, (even if it does come from China!). Then other things involve, solder and flux, plus some tools
which you might have like files and knives, plus something to hold the bits together because it hurts your fingers other wise.

If you do not yet want to invest in even a cheap soldering iron, then a white metal kit, is much simpler to build, you can even use glue,
CA, or epoxy, and that is not too big an investment and you can use them elsewhere.

Start with a flat footplate 0-6-0t, less to go wrong.
However one way to get soldering is also to add a chassis kit to an RTR bodyshell, if you can find one that suits you.

HTH
Paul
Griff
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the advice can anyone advise me how to purchase Arthur Kimber's kits does he have a web site?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This is his thread on RMWeb. There's a list in there somewhere, but your best bet is to email and see what he has in stock.

My build of his J73 starts here. It comes as a bit of a shock to realise that that is 10 years ago. Many of Arthur's kits are also test built by Mike Megginson, whose RMWeb thread is here.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Go on ebay and buy a old cheap kit , have a practise on that before spending serious money on new kits.

The easiest to build is a Whitemetal 0-4-0 Tank engine to get running , and build.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The problem with that, Mick, is that your man might end up with a Jidenco or MTK kit which will be impossible to build and think it's down to his lack of experience. Starting with a kit from someone like Arthur (or Jim McGeown in 7mm) means you can be sure that it can be built and if you do have problems you can go back to the supplier and be confident you'll be given help.
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 am The problem with that, Mick, is that your man might end up with a Jidenco or MTK kit which will be impossible to build and think it's down to his lack of experience. Starting with a kit from someone like Arthur 9or Jim McGeown in 7mm) means you can be sure that it can be built and if you do have problems you can go back to the supplier and be confident you'll be given help.
JW
I agree re above , in addition add Falcon Brass to the list,just as bad as Jidenco . I have never tried a MTK kit ! .
I suggested whitemetal as a start point , as etched kits normally need experience in a lot of areas, and are not as forgiving as whitemetal to build .
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

It's worth pointing out as well that there are very few "cheap" kits to be had on eBay. Most of them seem to go for ridiculous prices.

I've even seen secondhand kits sell for more than the cost of new ones, even though they are still in production!
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Falcon Brass are of course Jidenco kits under a later owner and probably the most difficult to build of cheaper brass kits from my experience of just one of the range. - the LYR steam rail motor.
Andrew
Griff
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Griff »

Would it be better to cut my teeth on a comet coach kit?