LNER A4 Whistles.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

LNER A4 Whistles.

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I am busy doing some conversions and completing several A4s using those bodies obtained with that magazine some time ago. I am having difficulty in sourcing A4 type chime whistles in 4mm scale. Any ideas?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER A4 Whistles.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Given the ratio of price to size for proprietary turned brass (or any other) model whistles I resort to cobbling together bits of brass wire and tube, refining shape to a semblance of the real thing by rotating the parts in a drill or a simple pin chuck and applying fine files or a razor saw blade for narrow slots. They only work out "near enough" in most cases but I don't spend my whole time studying the finest details of the whistle on each model loco.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Markits list one. A very strange over priced effort.

http://www.markits.com/MARKITS_Price_Guide_2013_09.pdf

247 Developments sell them. I bought one and sent it back for a refund, it was that bad.

As Graeme says make your own, or modify a Hornby one there a few versions on E bay.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired