Wartime Black

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Wartime Black

Post by Graeme Leary »

Would the Wartime Black paint finish have been gloss or matt when (in particular) A1/3s were so painted in the period 1941 to 1943?

Possibly whatever was to hand as I imagine there was a certain flexibility during those times and rules were not strictly enforced but grateful for any thoughts.

This is for an A3 model I'm repainting and renaming 'Call Boy'/2795 (with LNER on the tender as noted in RCTS 2A).

Many thanks,
Graeme Lwary,
New Zealand
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Wartime Black

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I would confidently apply gloss black. The war time livery spec. for the V2 reproduced in the NRM's 'Gresley and Stanier is for gloss. This wasn't a beauty contest, but simply for the superior wearing quality of the paint when cleaned, on machines which deposited abrasive ash and iron oxide (glued on with cylinder oil residue) all over their exterior.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

On new metal or, assuming that the previous finish had been rubbed down well, would the new top-coat paint or varnish of the time have to be the gloss variety anyway in order to be sufficiently waterproof?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

The finish of wartime black locomotives on the LNER is sufficiently broad in photographs to suggest strongly that there's no wrong answer to this.

The instructions for wartime black recorded in the LNER Emergency Board Minutes are not specific to the paint finish other than plain black and simplified lettering until appropriate paint and transfer supplies became available again.

My wartime black A10s and A3s I have built from railroad scotsman models have a range of paint finishes, deliberately so as to present a range of finishes including heavy weathering and ex-works.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all; I have used a Tamiya aerosol Black (not proficient with airbrush and my previous attempt at hand painting left a lot to be desired) and this has given a fairly 'low gloss' effect which should be acceptable to all. Could even be construed as a coat of varnish over the paint.

Graeme
New Zealand