Woodcock's Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Woodcock's Workbench

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Much as I would probably have done.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks - interesting
Andrew
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

)Good morning all from sunny Surrey (but cold)

Thanks for the details of modifying the J3 tender.

I made plans for such a method a while ago, but haven't put them into operation.

I'd be interested in further posts

Earlswood nob ( a signal box lost when the line was quadrupled around 1900)
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I feel that I was lucky to have had the older K's castings. Cutting and relocating would be more difficult where the side frames are united as part of the tender side - this problem exists with both the K's and Nu-Cast GNR tenders. The main problems are the gaps created when cutting out the middle section particularly the gap at the top where cleaning up could be an issue. A thought is that if a small piece of wood could be clamped across the front of this gap it could minimise the amount of necessary cleaning.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Something I meant to post earlier in the year.

I've added the correct plating to the top of the tender of Silver Fox. The plating on the top of the 4 silver tenders was different at the rear to that on the other A4 tenders in that there was a narrow gap between the top of the tender side sheets and the plating around the water filler. I studied a multitude of photos from an above angle to work out how wide this gap was and have given it my best shot. I used the rear plating I removed off my Hornby rebuilt 10000 as this had the raised section at the front already in place and simply narrowed it down. The front plating which needed to be lengthened is simply 10 thou plastic sheet fitted over the top of that which was already there, after filing the existing front down by around 10 thou.
IMG_2423 ps.jpg
IMG_2427 ps.jpg
Here is 10000 after removal of the rear plating and cutting down of the front plating - this gives it a better running period as it ran for only a couple of months before the plating was removed.
IMG_2434 ps.jpg

Sometime ago I also added the plating to the top of the tender of my LNER green Woodcock. On this occasion it was all made from plastic sheet.
20230224_141909 ps.jpg
Andrew
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Subtle but important differences, of which those who only clone-model the much later era may remain blissfully unaware.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.