Unknown Model Brake Van Prototype

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Unknown Model Brake Van Prototype

Post by notascoobie »

Hi folks,
My first post for a while. After lockdowns etc I've spent my time fishing.
Recently I've been gifted some lovely 4mm pre-grouping models. Many are scratchbuilt. Among them is this brake van, which purports to a GNR brake. Now I've built several GNR brakes and I've done my research, but I've not seen one like this. Likewise I don't think it's GCE/GER/M&GNJR/NER.
Can anyone help me out with an identity please?
Cheers,
Vernon
Attachments
20211206_200632.jpg
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Unknown Model Brake Van Prototype

Post by Darryl Tooley »

It's an, or possibly, the, East & West Yorkshire Union Railway brake van. A photograph of this in LNER livery appeared in Tatlow's original single volume work on LNER wagons, where it was said to be a GN 13 ton van. The builder has evidently backdated it to a supposed GNR condition.

However the same photograph appears in Vol 2 of Tatlow's later work on the subject (Wild Swan, 2007), in the H&BR section (because of its similarity to that railway's brakes). Evidently it passed from the E&WYU direct to the LNER, and so was never a GN vehicle, and was simply given a GN series number (418036) because the E&WYU came under Doncaster's purview.

D
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Interesting. I would have speculated either H & B or M & GN, but E&WYU never came to mind.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Daryl,
Thanks very much for your info. I'll have a look at my Tatlow book when I get home. E&WYUR never entered my head!
Vernon