NER Clerestory carriage kits

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Clerestory carriage kits

Post by mick b »

David
Much clearer, now a obvious system once the Code is cracked ,and very simple to work out (hopefully :D ) !!

I havent seen/recived any emails from you for the last two weeks(ish) . If you can send them again, I will be much obliged .

many thanks

Mick
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

mick b wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:28 pm I havent seen/recived any emails from you for the last two weeks(ish) . If you can send them again, I will be much obliged.
Ah. Did you not get my one of 06/02 with all the pics I could find of D.26s in it?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Daddyman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:34 pm
mick b wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:28 pm I havent seen/recived any emails from you for the last two weeks(ish) . If you can send them again, I will be much obliged.
Ah. Did you not get my one of 06/02 with all the pics I could find of D.26s in it?

Last one from you was the 5th Febuary .
scottiedog
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by scottiedog »

On page 141 of The Last Years of North East Steam by Peter Tuffrey there is a photograph of a V3 on 3 coach down local service stopped at Washington station around 1948. It appears to be a 3 coach set made up of Clerestory coaches. The first is a 5 compartment brake third,BT,
a 8 compartment third, T. I am unable to identify the last coach but it is likely to be another brake third,BT.
The 5 compartment BTs, 87 built between 1902 and 1904, were Dia 77 and the 8 compartment T, 223 built between 1895 and 1906, were Dia 14. Kits for both were/are available from D&S models.
The photograph confirms the view that some of these Dias were in service for at least 40 years but I do feel that they would not have lasted many years after that. The exception of course is that some would have been used on colliery lines.
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

Apologies for not putting the key to the code in my post yesterday.....and thanks to David for clarifying it all.

Last year I trawled through the NER carriage Diagram books from NERA (5 volumes - 50 diagrams per volume) and noted down any that were 45, 49 and 52 ft non gangway types. I then added roof type, seats and compartments to the list. Finally adding whether D&S, Worsley and, now, Bill Bedford produce/produced kits for them.
Thankfully I put this into a spreadsheet.....so I haven’t lost it :) If anyone would like a copy I’d be happy to share it.

Jon
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

JonBates wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:41 pm Apologies for not putting the key to the code in my post yesterday.....and thanks to David for clarifying it all.

Last year I trawled through the NER carriage Diagram books from NERA (5 volumes - 50 diagrams per volume) and noted down any that were 45, 49 and 52 ft non gangway types. I then added roof type, seats and compartments to the list. Finally adding whether D&S, Worsley and, now, Bill Bedford produce/produced kits for them.
Thankfully I put this into a spreadsheet.....so I haven’t lost it :) If anyone would like a copy I’d be happy to share it.

Jon
Jon
Apologies not needed, well done for taking the time to help everybody.

Yes please re the spread sheet , it will be very useful. Via PM or do you need a email address ?

Mick
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

mick b wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:45 pm
JonBates wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:41 pm Apologies for not putting the key to the code in my post yesterday.....and thanks to David for clarifying it all.

Jon

Jon
Apologies not needed, well done for taking the time to help everybody.

Yes please re the spread sheet , it will be very useful. Via PM or do you need a email address ?

Mick

I’ll try a PM first - should work.

I will save the sheet as a separate file so it should be quite small file size. (Anyway you don’t want to see the other sheets....trust me!)
Jon
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

JonBates wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:41 pm Thankfully I put this into a spreadsheet.....so I haven’t lost it :) If anyone would like a copy I’d be happy to share it.
Yes, please! It sounds supremely useful! Well done.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

mick b wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:46 pm Last one from you was the 5th Febuary .
Still nothing, Mick? I re-sent it last night.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nothing so far !!

I have sent a PM with other email addresses.

thanks
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

scottiedog wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:23 pm On page 141 of The Last Years of North East Steam by Peter Tuffrey there is a photograph of a V3 on 3 coach down local service stopped at Washington station around 1948. It appears to be a 3 coach set made up of Clerestory coaches. The first is a 5 compartment brake third,BT,
a 8 compartment third, T. I am unable to identify the last coach but it is likely to be another brake third,BT.
The 5 compartment BTs, 87 built between 1902 and 1904, were Dia 77 and the 8 compartment T, 223 built between 1895 and 1906, were Dia 14. Kits for both were/are available from D&S models.
The photograph confirms the view that some of these Dias were in service for at least 40 years but I do feel that they would not have lasted many years after that. The exception of course is that some would have been used on colliery lines.
I've been looking too. There's an arc-roof full third (Dia 51/52 or 54 - essentially the same coach, I think, once the Gould's couplers were removed?), still gas-lit, in LNER Album Volume 2, while Brian J. Dickson' Northumberland & Durham Railway Pictorial 1948-1967 has a D.14 clerestory at one end of a train of 4 carriages, and an unidentifiable clerestory at the rear at Sunderland in April 1953; livery is almost certainly brown. My understanding is that these two all-thirds, being next to the engine and outside the front brake carriage, would have been added as strengtheners, and would not be used for much else by this time, only pressed into use every now and then, and spending the rest of the time in warm store.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Jon
That would be very useful, if you would be prepared to send it.
(Not that I do not enjoy going through the NERA Books of Carriage Diagrams - excellent if television is boring!)
The only problem is that keep giving me ideas - such as my ..current project...
I really should make more use of available kits and etched sides.
Some of my passenger stock is really poorly representative of the NEA in my timescales.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Jon
Have you considered doing this for the NERA journal, Jon? Are you a member? I could help out with transforming it into an article if you don't want the faff.
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

That would be very useful, if you would be prepared to send it.
(Not that I do not enjoy going through the NERA Books of Carriage Diagrams - excellent if television is boring!)
The only problem is that keep giving me ideas - such as my ..current project...
I really should make more use of available kits and etched sides.
Some of my passenger stock is really poorly representative of the NEA in my timescales.
[/quote]

PM is sent with list.

The reasons that I compiled the list were two:
1. I kept forgetting the composition for the sets that I was interested in
2. It keeps me focussed on acquiring and (sometimes) building the correct kits.....to stop me getting distracted by other interesting designs :)

The inspection saloon of yours is one of those interesting designs that I have resisted.....so far. What a good idea to put a camera in it and use the carriage to actually inspect the track! Food for thought for me......

Jon
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

Daddyman wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:00 pm [quote=JonBates post_id=144965 time=1645126892 user_id=4519
Have you considered doing this for the NERA journal, Jon? Are you a member? I could help out with transforming it into an article if you don't want the faff.
[/quote]

I hadn’t considered an article but I could put something together. I’ll PM you to work out some details.

Oh, and yes I’m a NERA member and yes any help gratefully received!

Jon