Coupling conundrum

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Coupling conundrum

Post by lu4472ke »

For the last few years I've been looking into an after market coupling system for my OO stock, as I'm not a big fan of the tension lock.

My requirements for a good coupling system:

Must be an autocoupler

Must be able to negotiate set track curves

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a system that fits the bill? I've ruled Kadees out as they are a little expensive
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Coupling conundrum

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Too little information for a useful response.
Kit or DIY couplers, or ready to install commercial oifferings? If the latter then the following questions:
Are vehicles all fitted with NEM coupler pockets, all screw on / clip on coupler mounts, or a mixture?
Are there close coupling mechanisms on some or all vehicles, and if 'some' what types of vehicles have each type?
Is remote auto uncoupling required.
Is appearance of the coupler of any importance? (This being on the LNER forum, it might be mentioned that the Kadee type coupler has a good resemblance to the knuckle coupler fitted as standard on LNER Pullman gangway equipped coach stock.
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:17 pm Too little information for a useful response.
Kit or DIY couplers, or ready to install commercial oifferings? If the latter then the following questions:
Are vehicles all fitted with NEM coupler pockets, all screw on / clip on coupler mounts, or a mixture?
Are there close coupling mechanisms on some or all vehicles, and if 'some' what types of vehicles have each type?
Is remote auto uncoupling required.
Is appearance of the coupler of any importance? (This being on the LNER forum, it might be mentioned that the Kadee type coupler has a good resemblance to the knuckle coupler fitted as standard on LNER Pullman gangway equipped coach stock.
I apologise for the lack of info, I'll address all of your questions one by one:

"Kit or DIY couplers, or ready to install commercial oifferings?": I don't mind either option.

"Are vehicles all fitted with NEM coupler pockets, all screw on / clip on coupler mounts, or a mixture?": I have a mix of all 3. I also have some kit built wagons which don't have anything

"Are there close coupling mechanisms on some or all vehicles, and if 'some' what types of vehicles have each type?": If I'm understanding your question correctly, I have some super detail Hornby Pullmans and teaks with their cam type coupling system.

"Is remote auto uncoupling required.": 100%

"Is appearance of the coupler of any importance?": To an extent. But if they have to look a bit crude, then so be it
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

OK, I don't know of a kit build/DIY autocoupler that will fit all your requirements, especially set track curves. These are usually intended for 'finescale' OO with much larger curve radii, think 30" radius minimum, but others posting here may know different and be able to advise.

I have tried six types of commercial autocouplers on my OO layout, stocked with the same mix of vehicles as yourself, so here's my experience.

Miniature tension lock. For reliable performance use only one brand, there are significant dimensional and shape differences across the versions now available. It has to be Bachmann's if you want the best auto-uncoupling, as the hook is non-ferrous and will magnetically auto-uncouple if the 'Brian Kirby' modification is applied (see below). Conveniently Bachmann also offers the largest choice of fittings,suitable for NEM pocket, RTR tension lock mountings various, and kit builds. I use this on steam era wagon stock, goods locos.

HO 'hook and loop' type. It works nearly as well as the miniature tension lock for autocoupling, can be magnetically uncoupled but didn't bother to experiment further as it is more visually obtrusive than miniature tension lock.

Roco 40270 / Hornby R8220. Forms a rigid link between coaches such as your Pullmans with close coupling systems. Not what I would call an autocoupler, but works reliably once coupled up: I use this within trains of coaches all with close coupling systems, because this is the type of linkage the close coupling systems need to perform optimally. Hornby pack their version with their Pullmans etc, so you should already have some!

Fleischmann 'Profi' coupler. Forms a rigid link between coaches such as your Pullmans with close coupling systems. More reliable autocoupling than the Roco type, potentially decent auto uncoupling (not tested) more obtrusive than Kadee. Might have used this had not Hornby provided the R8220 with their coaches, compatible with the Roco 40270. (I'm mean, and a saving is a saving.)

Hunt (there are likely to be competitiors by now) magnetic coupler. Couples fine, reliable, no auto-uncoupling.

Kadee. This is the business, you get what you pay for. Reliable coupling and magnetic uncoupling. (The Kadee magnetic uncouplers also uncouple the Brian Kirby modified miniature tension locks, which is handy.) Used on all passenger locos, both ends of passenger train formations, and on one end of a few goods wagons to enable a passenger loco on freight workings.

HTH.
lu4472ke
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lu4472ke »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:16 pm OK, I don't know of a kit build/DIY autocoupler that will fit all your requirements, especially set track curves. These are usually intended for 'finescale' OO with much larger curve radii, think 30" radius minimum, but others posting here may know different and be able to advise.

I have tried six types of commercial autocouplers on my OO layout, stocked with the same mix of vehicles as yourself, so here's my experience.

Miniature tension lock. For reliable performance use only one brand, there are significant dimensional and shape differences across the versions now available. It has to be Bachmann's if you want the best auto-uncoupling, as the hook is non-ferrous and will magnetically auto-uncouple if the 'Brian Kirby' modification is applied (see below). Conveniently Bachmann also offers the largest choice of fittings,suitable for NEM pocket, RTR tension lock mountings various, and kit builds. I use this on steam era wagon stock, goods locos.

HO 'hook and loop' type. It works nearly as well as the miniature tension lock for autocoupling, can be magnetically uncoupled but didn't bother to experiment further as it is more visually obtrusive than miniature tension lock.

Roco 40270 / Hornby R8220. Forms a rigid link between coaches such as your Pullmans with close coupling systems. Not what I would call an autocoupler, but works reliably once coupled up: I use this within trains of coaches all with close coupling systems, because this is the type of linkage the close coupling systems need to perform optimally. Hornby pack their version with their Pullmans etc, so you should already have some!

Fleischmann 'Profi' coupler. Forms a rigid link between coaches such as your Pullmans with close coupling systems. More reliable autocoupling than the Roco type, potentially decent auto uncoupling (not tested) more obtrusive than Kadee. Might have used this had not Hornby provided the R8220 with their coaches, compatible with the Roco 40270. (I'm mean, and a saving is a saving.)

Hunt (there are likely to be competitiors by now) magnetic coupler. Couples fine, reliable, no auto-uncoupling.

Kadee. This is the business, you get what you pay for. Reliable coupling and magnetic uncoupling. (The Kadee magnetic uncouplers also uncouple the Brian Kirby modified miniature tension locks, which is handy.) Used on all passenger locos, both ends of passenger train formations, and on one end of a few goods wagons to enable a passenger loco on freight workings.

HTH.
Thank you for the advice

My current plan is to use Kadees on the locos and at the ends of coach/wagon rakes, and Hunt couplers in the rakes.