Just a random idea; forum tutorials

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Just a random idea; forum tutorials

Post by NZRedBaron »

Remember how Hattons used to do streams about things like train formations, how to paint and weather buildings and rolling stock, how to maintain your equipment?

It's been a while since they did any of those, but I think they were great; and so, why not try something like that here?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Just a random idea; forum tutorials

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Use of suitably selected search terms and a well known search engine will reveal masses of generalmodelling information already on the web. Is it necessary or beneficial for there to be repetition of general modelling advice on an LNER- specific website, or would it just add to amount of material that needs to be searched through when looking for LNER-specific items?

As for train formations, whilst some generalisation might be possible, if you model a generalisation there will be experts (genuine or otherwise) queuing up to tell you that your train formation isn't in accordance with a specific example. That doesn't necessarily have to put you off of course. It won't put me off, as I'll run the stock I have, in the most reasonable formations I can devise, right or wrong, and be damned. If you really want specifics however, it is a massive subject in its own right, and not all is known. There are almost certainly a number of scattered references on this site to various trains in particular years and seasons. Again, a search engine may assist. Some of the historic information, if not destroyed, may be firmly in the hands of those who intend either to keep it to themselves or who only release it in in book form, subject to copyright law, as part of their means of earning a living. The Banks and Carter book on LNER passenger train formations is a good source but inevitably cannot cover everything. It may not be cheap, but somebody had to spend a lot of time (and money?) gathering and organising the information.
Learning to recognise vehicle types and study of photographs showing specific trains / dates /locations may be the only way to deduce some of the details that you may require.

PS Other than observing good hygiene, I find my equipment looks after itself...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

As the right onourable member for Grimsberg says all the info is on the net and on many pages here, and the dark place, just search or look.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

This is a decidedly old fashioned way to do things,but acquisition of some books like these will prove useful.
books.jpg
The Irwell books are still available, the old MAP book crops up at book sales or swap meets. Plenty to learn from all of them.
There's plenty of good advise to be found from non- railway modellers as well, military modellers and war gamers are worth looking into for scenery ideas.

Paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Not so keen on tutorials which tend to 'I did it this way, so should you'; but would rather have the interaction or 'round table' that typifies the better forums, such as this:
https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... 66#p145066
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

NZRedBaron wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:10 am Remember how Hattons used to do streams about things like train formations, how to paint and weather buildings and rolling stock, how to maintain your equipment?

It's been a while since they did any of those, but I think they were great; and so, why not try something like that here?
Go on then.

If you think it's such a great idea set it up and show us how it should be done.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

nzpaul wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:20 pm This is a decidedly old fashioned way to do things, but acquisition of some books like these will prove useful.
Paul
Wild Swan also produce a number of good books on weathering, whitemetal/etched kit building, etc. YouTube is OK, but reading how to do something and looking at the photos seems to stick better in the mind.

Peter