Mainline J72 DCC - Has anyone managed to chip one?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Mainline J72 DCC - Has anyone managed to chip one?

Post by Robpulham »

Hi I am new to posting in this forum though I have been reading it for a while. Has anyone sucessfully chipped a Mainline J72? I have a couple that I am quite fond of and don't really want to dispose of them. I have managed to sucessfully chip most of my other locos without mishap until trying the J72. I have chopped a piece out of the front of the chassis to accomodate the chip but I am struggling to isolate the chassis
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Well, I have a Bachmann (ex-Mainline) J72, and even though I work in DC, I have thoroughly examined the model and the only way I've seen of installing a chip is in the cab :? how easy is the metal split chassis to hack bits off?
The user formerly known as Bass.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

One of my Bachmann J72s has a Lenz Gold decoder and USP module fitted - the work was done for me by the excellent Ken Chapman at http://www.freewebs.com/dccmodelrailways/. The cab remains unobstructed. I've no idea where he fitted the gubbins as I haven't taken the body off to see, but it proves it can be done.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Thanks guys. I have a Bachmann version that I haven't attempted yet but it does seem simpler because it's a can motor. It has another problem that I need to fix first or both at the same time (the drive cog has a split in it causing it to jump as it goes along.) I just haven't got around to contacting Bachmann spares dept for a replacement. I bought it off ebay knowing there was a problem.

With regard to cutting the chassis on the mainline one, I did it with a junior hacksaw fairly easily I thought. I have attached a picture to show you what I chopped off. The chip you see wired is the first one out of 20 or so that I think I have killed.

Regards,

Rob
Attachments
LNER - J72.jpg
Mainline J72
(69.48 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Interesting... so if you can hack of a large piece like that, how easy would anyone say it would be to file or sand the parts hanging over the hind wheels? I'm considering increasing the wheel clearance in order to attach the larger wheels of a J71.
The user formerly known as Bass.
paullad1984
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by paullad1984 »

Is it possible to change a mainline j72 chassis for a bachmann one, got my eye on a NER one but heard mainline chassis can be awful!
Stainmore forever!
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

To answer Bass first - One side of the rear of the chassis is hollow (housing the motor) so I wouldn't think that you could take any off for bigger wheels.

Paul with regard to replacement with a Bachmann chassis I will try swapping my Bachmann chassis into one of my Mainline bodies and let you know later tonight.

Regards,

Rob
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I tried swapping the Bachmann chassis for the Mainline one. The bodies look identical but it was a tight squeeze to get the Bachmann chassis in. It would go but you would need to ease the way a little. Still worth consideration rather than renumbering Bachmann bodies especially if you already have the mainline ones. If I can't make a success of chipping the Mainline chassis I may take that as being an option.
paullad1984
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by paullad1984 »

excellent! going for an entirely ner layout! would green J72 and green J21 ever have been seen together?
Stainmore forever!
paullad1984
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by paullad1984 »

does anyone have a bachmann J72 chassis available?
Stainmore forever!