Millholme Stirling Single

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Millholme Stirling Single

Post by Hatfield Shed »

ricon1952 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:27 pm ...I ordered the Rapido model with the interim tender, but they decided not to make it ...
It was the customers that effectively made that decision, very few orders for the 'preservation' tender. (It might have been better to have offered a 'two tender' version in order to get sufficient volume for the interim tender: I would have taken that option, but given the choice of one or other, the big tender it had to be.)
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Please excuse a possibly unrelated question.

When building a 4-2-2, how do arrange the springing and weight distribution?

Actually I'm considering a 2-2-4, but it will spend a lot of time running in reverse!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

drmditch wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:02 am ...Actually I'm considering a 2-2-4, but it will spend a lot of time running in reverse!
Aerolite?
drmditch wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:02 am ...When building a 4-2-2, how to arrange the springing and weight distribution?...
This is a question that cannot be considered independently of the drive layout.

If I wanted such a loco, my inclination would be to build it on the pattern of a centre motor driving the front bogie and trailing wheelset (with gear ratios for the best match of tyre speed) rigid chassis over those six wheels, with the unpowered driving wheel 'floating'. (The rigid wheelbase is about the same length as a 9F, so should be able to go around R2 if required.) No significant balance issue as it would functionally be an 0-6-0.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Considering the lack of movement available for the front bogie, the old fashioned way still seems best

Make it as an 0-6-2. Bogie and drivers connected and the rear trailer running free. Maybe even drive
from the trailing wheel. Lots of weight in the boiler then.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If considering multiple driven axles coupled by gears of suitable ratios, maybe have a look first at what gears you have, or can get, at what cost, and where you can actually put them inside the model. That may determine the matter of which axles can be driven...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.