Millholme Stirling Single

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ricon1952
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Millholme Stirling Single

Post by ricon1952 »

I have just bought a Millholme Sterling Single, from the package it does not seem to include any instructions. It is a nice model, but I am a bit worried about trying to assemble it without the instructions, can anyone advise. Also what is the tender that it comes with?
Attachments
twnRkGFCMyUJy0gOaIcv5oB4h0C9E_VfzrDfOcQCDWv8V6Zia7ruimD4WL6l_nVukYj4Pt5s6uBkcFNTkA_bReW4o_dsb4M5mhx1tNtoU30iJ0Uclfdp3K546m7FHJ_Y7YmO-NSwpoh1p1aD2LMbetupuwRHLJREGbkDJQdZHtwJwQFb6nM0as4TYADMjuvoPFoNgB0p8Nr6Posj7fE8QyaU1J2OX_rFk.jpg
hCh7s0PocCGBEd4xG4Y28X2ieEBZsnjAlRby0nbTUIcYxaXrTceE6ppLi18ygg1F6Ip1XZqUMD6C6k_ipSps5KfqAxR8Y5iIen_9aqP7zQw2Oo2_BQZ0te0qi2GF3DhModyXEDbHqm4Cd5Ew6azMG-gE1bIAhDFATkEkHWXpg7r2nArQ90Ghyyfz1Zumu-_xckRgw2_x4xMDVM8GUUBb8a1H9yPl5xcYE.jpg
e6INRypnrEFoG4cXXHOAunarwsGrEi1VpMITAJl9dLE4x8QSPmCug495FzjtJ0-esH3kGcJ2qDzQ6vz7gW_S6nir41WfvSDhKk6_tIFjzoQg7PyZsgWJA0qLnWrfA5dax-KubkjLBBDRWmuJ5brTm7BdX2Abv8UrAkuuNEPDx0EEc-7-SZcUDy1DHeqeaVgc-fjxewyTDydl-h-v-xvPkFTWUB49Q8ha8.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Millholme Stirling Single

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. The tender seen in the drawing is one of Stirling's early wood-framed types with the leaf springs hidden between inner and outer frame members. That general type would presumably be correct for the early years of the eight-footers, although whether the model is of an original tender for use behind a passenger engine, or might instead be a model of a slightly different goods engine's tender paired with No1 in preservation I cannot say. Having no experience of this kit I also do not know if the kit and the drawing cover loco No1 in original condition, or a later "more typical" eight-footer. Others will know far more than I do, so I'll leave it to them to comment further.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
ricon1952
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by ricon1952 »

Thought it might be the Sturrock one it was paired within it’s early preservation.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

The drawing shows the tender that was behind No 1 for most of its preserved life, until 2010 or so.
As Graeme has said, it is despite what other might say, completely a Stirling tender, but very much
an hybrid. It has an R8 goods tender underframe, with 3ft 6 wheels, and springs inside the frames.
It had an water capacity of 1500 gallons, until after 1923, when being prepared for running at
Shildon for the Centenary, it seems to have been fitted with a well tank too. It seems certain
that the body still on that tender came from a tender to R12.

The tender was behind a converted Hawthorn 0-4-2 luggage engine for at least 15 years before
that loco was scrapped, and the tender preserved for initially standing behind No 1.

The GNRS tender book has a suitable drawing.

Paul
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Whomever currently owns Stevenson Carriages also owns Millholme, so you'd think tey might be a decent bet for a set of instructions.

Edit - checking the invaluable suppliers.txt I see that it's apparently Squires, of Tools fame.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Good luck with that then!
Squires also now have SE Finecast. I've been trying to get the K3 cab etch for about 12 months. This was shortly after they acquired SEF from Dave Ellis.
Initially I had a couple of emails with their sales dept enquiring on part nos which I was able to supply then total silence and no response to my last follow-up email back in August 2021.

I've actually got a Millholme Stirling Single chassis (to fit into a Kitmaster kit one day) but didn't get any instructions when I acquired this from Millholme probably 20 years ago - not that I'll need them.
Andrew
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Shame you didn't mention it, Andrew, they were at Doncaster with just the SEF range on their stand and I had a fair old chat with the chap (whose name escapes me momentarily) - I could have followed that up for you.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Apologies for the photo quality but attached are two photos of a Millholme Stirling Single tender I currently have. Perhaps somebody might be able to identify the tender type. I do have a set of kit instruction so I'll scan them and send them through later. If anyone else wants a copy just pm me.
StSingle 1.jpg
StSingle 2.jpg
Charlie
ricon1952
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by ricon1952 »

That would be great, I think looking at the kit it would be very daunting without instructions. I also sent an enquiry to Squires and got no reply, was hoping to see them at our local model show in September.

I ordered the Rapido model with the interim tender, but they decided not to make it and offered me the one with the original tender, which I declined (Wish I had got it, going for a lot now). Anyway I saw this kit on ebay and the tender looked like the one that was used when it was first preserved. The reason I wanted this kit, is I am building a layout c1938 which would be when the it went on tour. It would go nicely with a set of 6 wheelers.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Woodcock29 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:29 am Good luck with that then!
Squires also now have SE Finecast. I've been trying to get the K3 cab etch for about 12 months. This was shortly after they acquired SEF from Dave Ellis.
Initially I had a couple of emails with their sales dept enquiring on part nos which I was able to supply then total silence and no response to my last follow-up email back in August 2021....
I have heard it suggested that we shouldn't order anything SEF from Squires until nearer 2024 in order to give them time to sort themselves out....

*shrugs*
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

In case you haven't seen it, there are pictures and discussion of tenders ......here.....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

If you wanted to sidestep the challenge of building the Millholme kit, you could stump up for the Rapido NRM model and build the general kind of tender you really wanted from modified Kitmaster bits, as I did (albeit with added coal rails) for the tender of my recent Stirling 0-6-0, which is seen finished at:
https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... 09#p144609

Should you like the idea, but be unable to source Kitmaster parts anywhere else, I might be able to assist.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
ricon1952
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by ricon1952 »

60526 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:56 pm Apologies for the photo quality but attached are two photos of a Millholme Stirling Single tender I currently have. Perhaps somebody might be able to identify the tender type. I do have a set of kit instruction so I'll scan them and send them through later. If anyone else wants a copy just pm me.

StSingle 1.jpg

StSingle 2.jpg

Charlie
Hi Charlie.
Alas it seems that as a Y4 I do not have the privileges to reply to your message with my email, until I have posted more posts. Unless you have any ideas, I will have to wait and get back to you when I have posted more to the forum.
Richard
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Richard, I was going to suggest searching RMweb to pick up my details but that seems to be on a go slow, actually snails pace today. Can you send an e-mail to cbloomfield54@gmail.com and I will reply with the Millholme kit instructions.
I have a partially finished kit of this model but it has stalled because the box is missing the front footplate casting, it looked complete when I bought it. In making the tender I would plan to have all wheel pick-up and consider hard wiring it to the loco or use a small 2-pin plug. With the 32mm Romford drivers it looks quite an impressive model even without the front footplate.
Charlie
ricon1952
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by ricon1952 »

drmditch wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:23 am In case you haven't seen it, there are pictures and discussion of tenders ......here.....
Looks like I have the correct one, from your pictures. It seems sad but I have never been to the railway museum, and my father’s family come from York. Been abroad a lot and only started modelling on my return & retirement.