A4 Liveries

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

A4enthusiast
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A4 Liveries

Post by A4enthusiast »

I'm a bit of an obsessive about LNER A4 Pacifics and have been building up a large collection of Hornby (and a few Bachmann) models. A lot of these are the most common (Mallard) which I would like to re-name and re-number. I've used HMRS transfers in the past and have also been looking at Fox transfers. The problem is that these have white highlights in the number/letters but most of the loco models don't, which means re-lettering the tenders as well as the locos, but there are only enough "LNERs" in the transfer set to re-letter 5 locos.

Does anyone know:
1) Is the numbering and lettering used by Hornby (without white highlights) correct?
2. If it is correct, would locos have been coupled to tenders where the numbering and lettering didn't match (one with white highlights and the other without).

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A4 Liveries

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello,

White highlights were certainly part of the original full size letters. Whether they are over-done in the Fox & HMRS transfers is a matter of opinion. They can be toned down with a thin coat of varnish darkened with black-brown paint of course.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.