Silver Jubilee colours - again!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

A4enthusiast
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Silver Jubilee colours - again!

Post by A4enthusiast »

I know there have been previous discussions on this forum as to what were the exact colours used on Silver Jubilee trains. I am currently refurbishing a kit-built Silver Jubilee 8-coach rake and was wondering if any new information has come to light. All the photographs I can find (taking care not to be fooled by some very realistic photos of models) seem to show two different colour schemes (or I should say shades of grey schemes as these are all B/W photos). Either the coaches have white or very light grey roofs (lighter than the loco) with darker grey sides and valances, or the coaches have light grey roofs and sides and darker grey valances. Any comments and/or new information would be appreciated.

Secondly, on my set the ends of coaches that are articulated to a common bogie are completely plain and flat, which looks very odd. My understanding is that the original coaches had some kind of streamlining sheath around the two coach ends (which is impractical on a model), but presumably they also had bellows corridor connectors between the coaches.

Again, any comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Silver Jubilee colours - again!

Post by mick b »

From this page below my Jubilee set build.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624&start=60

Roof. Silver

Bodies. Precision Phoenix paints their Silver Jubilee Colours in their paint range .

Bogies & Wheel centres Dark Grey.

Corridor Connectors on all Coaches at each end , see photos.

Rubber sheets fitted between Coaches

Fox Transfers
A4enthusiast
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by A4enthusiast »

Thanks mick b. Now I know what the ends of my articulated coaches should look like and what paints to buy.
A4enthusiast
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by A4enthusiast »

mick b, I'm intrigued to know how you managed to fit rubber sheeting between the coaches. Is it attached to one or both coaches? Does it affect cornering?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I have'nt !!! :D :D
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

A4enthusiast wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:17 pm ...I'm intrigued to know how you managed to fit rubber sheeting between the coaches. Is it attached to one or both coaches? Does it affect cornering?
It would need very exotic material (think polymer formulation in the Unobtanium class) to enable modelling of a working elastic sheet connected between 4mm coach ends.

I use Tesco's 'Ugh quality*' black wheely bin liner for such purposes as weather sheeting on loco cabs. (*Needs to be cheap for thinness. Other brands are likely available, and naturally might offer greater 'Ugh'. Regarding grocery shopping as a form of torment and this merchant offering a 'one stop' shop with the most superior car parking of any nearby, I haven't tried elsewhere in circa 35 years. If you are prepared to undertake the research and find something better, do advise.)

Secured with Evostick (original lovely solvent smell type) to one surface such as the tender front plate top, and 'dressed' to go between a wire bar and the cab roof underside this typically lasts a year or two in regular operation before replacement is required. Doesn't look perfect, but gives the right impression on a 4mm East Coast pacific belting past.

You could try this or similar materials on coach ends, experimenting with cunning arrangements to make it look good. I wouldn't hold out hope for rapid success...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mailcoach used to supply thins trips of foam rubber to go between the vehicles of their Coronation set. It was a bugger to paint, but it allows the vehicles to run through curves and pointwork with the gaps filled, so you get part of the effect.