Rails of Sheffield NER Autocar

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Rails of Sheffield NER Autocar

Post by mick b »

LNER version has just arrived .

Overall impression good, Truss frames are very delicate and will bend !!

Windows appear to quite thick with a slight prismatic effect around the Window frames'

Runs very quietly .

Driving wheels in Chrome need to be Blackened.

Instructions say a Magnet Wand included, there isnt one in the box. I tried my Rapido Dyno car one and the lights stayed on ?. Message to Rails sent.

The one big problem is that the model is not correct for the only 3170 LNER version. 3171 the other autocar only ver ran in NER Red/Cream livery in LNER period. Both cars ahd limited use before withdrawal in 1930/31.
On the original Black & White photograph below, there is a very large exhaust fitted to the roof and Radiators on the lower Roof section. This was fitted in 1923 when it also had a new Engine fitted.

The Model would need major work for those parts to be fitted . Curtains have been ignored as well. Body colour is nothing like a Teak shade it is a Dark Brown shade.

Overall quite good , but could have been much better, with more research. 6/10.
FEE1698E-8F11-43CD-A26C-3F4D9F9369F6_4_5005_c.jpeg
3A35CF96-A652-42DB-8266-F71895273A14_4_5005_c.jpeg
6CA581F9-3A3F-4197-AF21-65CD4C2281E1_4_5005_c.jpeg
1E7BDFF6-68A0-4BFA-8AE6-8AA7D484BDAF_4_5005_c.jpeg
Last edited by mick b on Mon May 09, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rails of Sheffield NER Autocar

Post by mick b »

1C14F221-FBF8-45FA-9263-66476348FE46_1_201_a.jpeg
B21652F8-5269-4CE0-AA9A-ABEF590A0EA2_4_5005_c.jpeg

This what Rails should have produced for the LNER Version.

NER AUTOCAR.png
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Thanks for posting information on a most unusual model. It appears that the motor and driveline are well concealed, which I see as a major positive. The extent of the glazing - which appears to be very well executed - makes an interior of accurate appearance important.

Were this model in any way appropriate to my modelling interest it would be purchased. Here's hoping that along with the GWR steam railcar model this encourages the production of more such vehicles. Need one add Hope for Rapid progress of a Bang Up model? Tally-Ho.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Got mine yesterday, as Micks no lighting wand thing. Not run it yet, may have a go tonight.
Seems at first glance a nice model, it certainly looks like one.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

My LNER version has been returned today, simply not good enough detail etc for £200.00.

Rails have replied and stated that the Magic Lighting Wand doesnt exist, a printing error is blamed :shock: and was the final straw for me !!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Illustrating one of the perils of pre-ordering when no finalised sample of the proposed item exists. At least you'll have the satisfaction or compensation of having all or most of your money back Mick.

I'm interested in some currently proposed models, but given the now very high and ever rising prices, combined with the tendency for lesser accuracy and quality in recent years' new releases, I'm willing to run the risk of missing my chance by waiting to see evidence of the quality of the final item.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Graeme, the whole r.t.r scene is in danger of total melt down , the prices are becoming just daft , add on poor research and actual quality , it doesnt look that good at all.

Hornby cant even get close to the shade of BR Green , bits falling off , squabbling over models with Rapido etc etc.

Rails already covered , add on dreadful customer service to that one (see below).

Bachmann prices just keeping going up. A BR Vanwide (a small van) @ £40 really !! . Most of what they are trying to sell, is yet more re releases of existing tooling with yet another livery painted on.

etc etc

The Autocar cost me £9 insured postage to return today . Rails refused to pay for return postage even after all the faults were pointed out to them. Once I actually get a refund, it will be a lucky escape. They also have had a £30 deposit of mine for the Autocar since November 2018 , again they totally ignored requests for that money to be refunded and to cancel my order , when I saw the photos and the confirmation that the prominent Exhaust system and Radiators on the Roof were missing/ignored on the incorrect early samples of the LNER version shown over a year ago.

Personally I will not pre order anything from anyone ever again.

cheers

Mick
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:34 pm Illustrating one of the perils of pre-ordering when no finalised sample of the proposed item exists...

I'm interested in some currently proposed models, but given the now very high and ever rising prices, combined with the tendency for lesser accuracy and quality in recent years' new releases, I'm willing to run the risk of missing my chance by waiting to see evidence of the quality of the final item.
Alternatively, just don't bother. I have 'missed out' at time they went on sale, on any number of RTR OO models suitable for my chosen modelling subject. But I haven't missed out, think the longest wait so far has been 7 years before a good s/h item was able to be purchased. Much cheaper, and most of the purchases unused; thanks to the bizarre habits of the collectorati.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That's inevitably one of the "plan B" options in my wait-and-see strategy too. Another option is to build one myself.

I waited until York show 2019 to acquire a "pre order or you'll miss it" Stirling Single, spotted on the Locomotion Models sales stand, in a perfect box, for (I think) a touch less than the official "new and perfect" price at that time. I've yet to see/find anything about it that makes it inferior to some of the "perfect" examples that were chaotically supplied to, and accepted by those who pre-ordered. You have to be lucky enough to be there at the right time to grab the rare opportunity of course, otherwise you may be tempted to settle for very much less of a bargain, as an occasional acquaintance of mine recently did, parting (I'm told) with over £800 for a nice used example with no box!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am That's inevitably one of the "plan B" options in my wait-and-see strategy too. Another option is to build one myself...
Smaller black engines I can do. Elaborately liveried singles with awkward drive layouts, I know my limits. That was the one I preordered, in part to vote for the large tender. (I did suggest to Sandra Rewcastle while visiting Locomotion at the time that a third option should be considered: a both tenders version, would have had that had it been offered. Incidentally does anyone know who built the very fine 4mm model that was exhibited to give an idea of the intent of the NRM/Rapido production? )

I'd feel similarly about the Autocar, were it a subject of interest to me. A large greenhouse plus matchboard sides and a clerestory, with a fully concealed drive - difficult.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

...does anyone know who built the very fine 4mm model that was exhibited to give an idea of the intent of the NRM/Rapido production? )
No, I don't believe anyone does, sadly. It belongs to Danny Pinnock and we had it on Grantham at a running weekend on its way to Shildon. I asked Danny about it some time later and he acquired it built and has no knowledge of it's origins. It's an 0-8-0 when you look carefully, but I can't now recall which wheels are driven.

Edit - it's tender drive with a K's motor: there's a commentary by Tony Wright and some video of it on the layout here.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am ...parting (I'm told) with over £800 for a nice used example with no box!
Did it come from here, by any chance?
Harry Enfield.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It may as well have done.

I presume that place is also the HQ of the price-setting committee for the UK's own holiday facilities.

Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

The NER versions offer an additional RTR model for those who model pre grouping and as such I can live with the compromises as its detail generally is of a high standard.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am That's inevitably one of the "plan B" options in my wait-and-see strategy too. Another option is to build one myself.

I waited until York show 2019 to acquire a "pre order or you'll miss it" Stirling Single, spotted on the Locomotion Models sales stand, in a perfect box, for (I think) a touch less than the official "new and perfect" price at that time. I've yet to see/find anything about it that makes it inferior to some of the "perfect" examples that were chaotically supplied to, and accepted by those who pre-ordered. You have to be lucky enough to be there at the right time to grab the rare opportunity of course, otherwise you may be tempted to settle for very much less of a bargain, as an occasional acquaintance of mine recently did, parting (I'm told) with over £800 for a nice used example with no box!
This one must be a absolute bargain!! If its still not sold.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374067123480