Multi track level crossings

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Multi track level crossings

Post by Graeme Leary »

I am interested to find out if there were any examples of level crossings over 3 (or even 4) tracks in grouping days, particularly where such a crossing would cross 2 main lines and a loop either on one or both sides.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Multi track level crossings

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Lots.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Never mind grouping, this is present day on the ECML. Helpston, just South of Peterborough. It's very flat thereabouts...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYWKEroQZE
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks both for replies and link, much appreciated.

Supplementary question: the link clearly shows the crossing at an angle to the tracks but were level crossings ever built on curves of tracks? If so, will make my present project much easier to do.

Graeme
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Short answer, yes, but more likely to be single track and slow speed. Possibly the long gone Thorpe Road crossing on the approach to Peterborough might have been an example, but I don't have a good enough picture (it was replaced by a bridge by the GNR). However, considering there was an example of a level crossing built through station platforms (GER) we might just relax and suggest 'as you like it'.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

How much of a curve is a curve? The ECML four track level crossing at Offord is on slightly curved track. The level crossing at the West end of Grimsby Town station included part of a double-track junction when there were still two avoiding lines looping around the South side of the station. It still includes three tracks. Grimsby's Pasture Street had a triple track crossing on a slight curve (Gy-Cleethorpes running line plus goods relief) AND only yards away a double track crossing of the lines connecting the GN goods yard and East Lincs line to GC line to Grimsby docks and Cleethorpes. Durham Ox crossing at the East end of Lincoln Central was over part of diamond crossing of two double track routes with curved connecting lines too...
Quite a lot of stations had road crossings over multiple lines forming part of the throat.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks again Hatfield Shed and Atlantic 3279: Enough info there for me to include a 3 track level crossing over the curved loop parallel to the 2 'up/down'' main line tracks.

'Rule 1' (as introduced to me by d17) will apply to respond to any nay-sayers

Graeme
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Sorry to bring this to life again. There was a four-track level crossing near Wath upon Dearne where the main road to Mexborough crossed the GC mainline close to Manvers. The Dearne District Light Railway was seeking permission to extend from this point into Mexborough, but the GC denied them as they would have been in direct competition for local traffic.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Brian, have now got the conundrum sorted out - changed the angle of the siding from the double main so there are now 2 separate level crossings, one over the 2 (main) tracks and a one across the single road which leads to a cattle/stock loading set up (with what would be, in real life, about 250 yards between them).

Graeme