Hornby Gladiateur reverser

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AdamOrmorod4468
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Hornby Gladiateur reverser

Post by AdamOrmorod4468 »

The latest Hornby A1 releases got me looking closer at my older 2569 Gladiateur, which I noticed has the reverser on the wrong side. Before swapping it over, I wondered if this part on top of the footplate is also part of the reverser, and would also need moving?
20220604_180027.jpg
Flying Fox doesn't have this, so I guess it's part of the North British style reverser?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby Gladiateur reverser

Post by mick b »

You need the Brassmaster detail kit , this will provide the reverser and many other detail parts.

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/a3_details.htm
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I haven't paid any attention to more recent Hornby A1/A3 Pacifics, having picked up as many as I'll ever need from the earlier Chinese made, loco driven batches, but I suggest that you check carefully for dates of conversion from RHD to LHD when dealing with the representations of Gresley's earlier Pacifics. Also beware that other reach-rods may be for things like sanders or possibly even cylinder drain cocks rather than part of the reversing mechanism. Check as well for the correct side for the linkage to the grate / ashpan, under the firebox. Is there a long horiziontal vacuum ejector steam supply pipe on the correct side of the boiler?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
AdamOrmorod4468

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:46 am I haven't paid any attention to more recent Hornby A1/A3 Pacifics, having picked up as many as I'll ever need from the earlier Chinese made, loco driven batches, but I suggest that you check carefully for dates of conversion from RHD to LHD when dealing with the representations of Gresley's earlier Pacifics.
Their latest 2564 has the Doncaster style reverser, which is what got me looking closer at 2569. 2569 was converted to LHD in 1953.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:46 am Also beware that other reach-rods may be for things like sanders or possibly even cylinder drain cocks rather than part of the reversing mechanism. Check as well for the correct side for the linkage to the grate / ashpan, under the firebox. Is there a long horiziontal vacuum ejector steam supply pipe on the correct side of the boiler?
The vacuum pipe is on the right side of the boiler and the rocking grate lever on the left (visible in my photo), which I think is as they should be. I moved the main part of the reverser to the right today, but as you say I'm not sure whether this extra lever is part of the reverser, or something else.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Gladiateur from memory has the Doncaster Reversing Rod it should have a North British version a different shape , it is on the Brassmaster etch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L ... ocomotives
AdamOrmorod4468

mick b wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:20 pm Gladiateur from memory has the Doncaster Reversing Rod it should have a North British version a different shape , it is on the Brassmaster etch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L ... ocomotives
Yes, I'm aware Gladiateur is a NB example, but I'm sure that the reverser is the correct type, just on the wrong side. See below the comparison with my 2556 (renamed Flying Fox).
20220609_220449.jpg
20220609_220454.jpg
There's no slot at the back of the running plate on the correct side for the reverser to fit into, so I had to take some material off to get it to sit straight.

My question is specifically about the small extra reach rod above the footplate, in the picture in my original post.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Page 33 Locomotives Illustrated Vol106 shows 2569 with said reach rod fitted to the same side as the main valve gear reach rod. Date of photo is 23 March 1929 and at the time Gladiateur was also sporting a Westinghouse pump on the right hand side. Other A1s with the same rod all appear to have it positioned in a similar way. As for its function, it connects to a shaft that disappears in front of the rear splasher, sanders perhaps.... I'm not sure.

Paul
AdamOrmorod4468

nzpaul wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:55 pm Page 33 Locomotives Illustrated Vol106 shows 2569 with said reach rod fitted to the same side as the main valve gear reach rod. Date of photo is 23 March 1929 and at the time Gladiateur was also sporting a Westinghouse pump on the right hand side. Other A1s with the same rod all appear to have it positioned in a similar way. As for its function, it connects to a shaft that disappears in front of the rear splasher, sanders perhaps.... I'm not sure.

Paul
Thanks, guess I'd better swap it over!