Gcr full brake ends? Perseverance kit.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Richard i
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Gcr full brake ends? Perseverance kit.

Post by Richard i »

I got the kit as a pack of parts collected together with instructions for the passenger carriages.
It came with four end pieces! My guess is that the brake end has the windows. The other end should have the alarm gear as that was only fitted one end.
I have pieces to do both ends with windows or both without if either variation is correct.
Does anyone know for certain?
Also the alarm gear end has etching for steps but again I have not seen either gcr carriages with steps at both end nor steps at the alarm gear end. It this etch correct or does it need some adjustment.
Any help gratefully received
Richard
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Gcr full brake ends? Perseverance kit.

Post by billbedford »

On the GC 50' full brakes the guard's seat was in the middle of the van, so neither end had windows. Alarm gear was not fitted as these coaches were not intended to carry passengers. The photo of 520 in Dow shows a roof end handrail so steps were fitted at one end.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Richard i

Post by Richard i »

Thanks bill
That is not what I was expecting as an answer, it shows why it is worth checking.
It does seem strange as the guards door is at one end and the ducket right at the end of the sides, I would have assumed a seat there. However, standing and leaning into the ducket must have been the practice.
No window in the end! Again perhaps because there was a ducket. They must have needed the electric light on all the time as other than the guards window there is no natural light. I am assuming the clearstory windows get sooted up very quickly.
I am away from my books so can not check Dow at present. I will need to look when I get back in a months time.
Richard
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Hang on, are you sure you have a full brake, with no passenger compartments, or is it a brake third?

Brake thirds had windows in the brake ends and alarm gear and steps on the other end.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Richard i

Post by Richard i »

Definitely a full brake with sliding doors a third of the way from both ends and a guard door and ducket at one end. I would up load a photo but the site says my iPad photos are too big. I will keep trying.
Richard
Richard i

Post by Richard i »

Picture up loaded to the dark side on my dettingen thread as a back up to being able to load it up here.
Richard
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Will photos taken today of John Quick's model of a 50' clerestory brake be helpful? If so I can add them on here.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Here's John Quick's model:
IMG_20220730_114203 Clerestory brake.jpg
IMG_20220730_114220.jpg
IMG_20220730_114247.jpg
IMG_20220730_114255.jpg
End near duckets fenestrated, other end plain. I notice this model has steps both ends.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Richard i

Post by Richard i »

Those are excellent shots thanks. Whilst you should not build based on a model, if you are, one researched by John quick is probably the best starting point.
Many thanks
Richard