Union Mills Q2 "Long Tom" - where to use?

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

josh_will
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Union Mills Q2 "Long Tom" - where to use?

Post by josh_will »

I've recently acquired a Union Mills Q2 in N gauge, and it's a great model. But what sort of layout might I use it on? Having read the information on the LNER site, a model of a section of the ECML between King's Cross and Peterborough in the 1920s would make sense, but what other models are available in N gauge to work alongside the Q2? I think long coal trains behind a Q2 would make a fascinating subject which is seldom modelled in N gauge.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Union Mills Q2 "Long Tom" - where to use?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I believe you could also consider a West Riding layout. Use of the 0-8-0s on a goods train from Keighley known as the "Keighley Wringer" is I believe mentioned in the relevant volume of the RCTS book series covering locos of the LNER.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Union Mills Q2 "Long Tom" - where to use?

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Q2's would also have been used on the Hertford branch after 1922, so a two track layout would be available.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.