bachmann V1/3

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

speach
NER Y7 0-4-0T

bachmann V1/3

Post by speach »

Just aquired a second hand bachmann V1/3 but it seems out of scale, much too high, anyone else noticed this?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: bachmann V1/3

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Can't say I've noticed such an anomaly, although the Bachmann cab roof always struck me as too flat, with the eaves too high rather than the middle too low. Do you have a side-view image of your particular loco, maybe with a rule held vertically alongside, to illustrate the point?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I have a current project to improve a Bachmann V3 and one V1 (haven't decided which yet.

I have swapped the underframe of two of my older models for the new (and I think better) version.

I haven't sent for drawings yet, but have prepared a comparison document in MS Word.
Below is a crude version (since I haven't got very good manipulation tools on this W11 box.)
V1-V3 comparison (2).jpg
I think there have been other discussions on this forum, although some of them relate to the older split chassis.

You have reminded to get on with my project.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The body remains as it was on the original split chassis release. The main problem is 'overweight'; the representation of detail and what should be thin metal edges exagerated, and the smokebox is bloated. As for that cab roof, fortunately the bunker and rear spectacle plate come away as a piece, and the original roof can then readily be cut away and replaced with a curved profile that puts the eaves much closer to the tops of the cabside windows.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some will recall that the original 1993-ish Bachmann publicity images for these models, before they came onto the market, actually showed locos built from whitemetal kits. I'm tempted to imagine that the Hong Kong factory largely copied the bodywork from those whitemetal examples, hence the chunky features, including a too-flat cab roof with too much substance above the cab side windows owing to the thickness of the whitemetal roof.

When I converted a Bachmann V3 body to suit my model of the never-was Gresley 3-cylinder 2-8-2 coal tank (since sold), I filed down the existing cab roof to create the correct deeper curve, losing the ventilator mouldings in the process, then added a very thin brass overlay and new details.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.