2022 - The 4mm scale Wishlist Poll returns, hosted by RMweb, Opens 12 December

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 2022 - The 4mm scale Wishlist Poll returns, hosted by RMweb, Opens 12 December

Post by Hatfield Shed »

kimballthurlow wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:12 am ... I searched for an English equivalent, and the discovered Hornby Dublo (1949-64) has given me a similar pleasure. In that regard I limit my purchases to pre-nationalisation LNER which is why I follow this online group. I too look forward to re-issues...
There won't be any re-issues of the old Hornby-Dublo product. The tooling went to 'Wrenn' who fooled around with it, and found many ways of diluting the quality, but thankfully that's all over now.

What the current Hornby brand management is doing is using H-D 'lookalike' packaging styling , with completely newly tooled metal bodied locos inside. Nary a report of how they run, so until Hornby introduce a Kylchap A4 in this range - and provided I am swift enough to get an order accepted - the running qualities will remain unknown. (Unless some kind contributor here knows differently!)
kimballthurlow wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:12 am ... Some modern Hornby do come with metal bodies. I wrote to them a few years ago and asked why they did not advertise that feature so I could make a choice - it is a BIG DEAL for me. I cannot go to a hobby shop and check, on which subject Hornby are forging ahead in an attempt to make them disappear. Their answer said something like it was not one of the specification criteria for marketing purposes!...
On this matter, let me help. There's a big choice of four models for pre-nationalisation LNER: B12/3, D16/3, J15, J36. I have them all and am very pleased. It's only the locos that have a largely metal body, with some plastic parts, cabs in particular. All benefit from the weight a largely metal body provides to assist traction. The tenders are plastic mouldings. (For those interested in other railways, there are metal loco bodied Schools 4-4-0, 700 0-6-0, Peckett 0-4-0ST; and the awaited BR std 2MT 2-6-0, all new Black 5, and Stanier Turbomotive all appear to have metal loco bodies based on the pre-production pictures Hornby have shown.)

I would suggest the one to sample is the B12/3. I haven't sampled every RTR OO steam model by a long chalk, but in comparison to those I have, my opinion is that this is the all around best RTR OO steam loco I own. Beats the Rapido Stirling single and Bachmann's new V2 for accuracy, beats Bachmann's atlantics, and 'all brands' current 2-6-0, 4-6-0, and eight coupled goods for traction, the sole exceptions among what has been sampled the Heljan 2-8-0s which are properly weighty (by metal packed inside plastic bodyshells). HTH

Forgot one, not branded Hornby but introduced by Oxford Rail, which is now part of the Hornby's range. That's the N7, 90% of the body cast as a single piece, and very heavy as a result.

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: 2022 - The 4mm scale Wishlist Poll returns, hosted by RMweb, Opens 12 December

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello Hatfield Shed,

Thanks for that illuminating reply.
Firstly I will say that the modern Märklin (all digital purchased since 2005) while having the main loco body and frames in die-cast material (and often the tender) have the cab and add on stuff in plastic. That is fine.

And yes I have the J36 in NBR colours with metal body.
And no I do not have the others you mentioned though I may now be more inclined to look out for them.
That said I am pre-disposed to limit my collection in 2 rail (my HD is 3 rail) to pre-grouping so the B12/3, D16/3, N7 and J15 would suit if issued as such.
As for the Rapido Stirling single I have tried unsuccesfully to buy one at auction. The last on which I bid got £480 which was more than my offering.

regards
Kimball
Brian Macdermott
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Brian Macdermott »

Hello everyone

A reminder that The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 closes at 1800 on Friday 30 December.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)
Brian Macdermott

Hello everyone

Firstly, a Happy New Year to you all.

The results can now be found on the link below.

Regards

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176460-re ... nt-5041338
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Some interesting results, it's good to see the J67/69 do well, hopefully one of the manufacturers will pick it up before too much longer.

Another Ex GER tank that I think could be an addition to the poll in the future is the Nielson 209/Y5 although it might be better suited to the quirky poll.
Brian Macdermott

Many thanks - I'll put that on the Quirky Agenda.