Woodbourne; The Lea Valley(ish) in N Gauge

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Woodbourne; The Lea Valley(ish) in N Gauge

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all,

I've been posting some of my projects for my layout on Instagram (accounts at the bottom if you want to follow) and thought id post some of what I've been doing on here. My skills certainly aren't as good as some of the others on here, so I apologize in advance for the quality:

As a bit of an introduction, the Layout has been in development for quite a few years (I can't really remember how long). It consists of two boards, one which has been salvaged from a previous layout (Of Standon on the Buntingford Branch). This board has yet to be started on (as this will become the general goods yard), but the other board has been developed to a degree. This board has (Starting from the front of the board) 3 sidings which are a small diesel refueling point, a cattle/loading dock and a loading dock. Then a Up & Down Main Line, a Loop Line on the back of an Island Platform, and a Reception Line for the Marshaling Yard. This board has only part of the station, so will be extended onto another board if space ever allows.

I operate the layout from Working Timetables that I own, that I have matched to the Engine Workings, so the 'schedule' for each session is the actual timetable. Woodbourne has been put in the place of Broxbourne in the timetable, but I hope to alter the timetable, so I can put a MPD at Woodbourne. Freight is operated by an idea from a CJ Freezer book that involves train cards, wagon cards & waybills to make shunting a little bit more interesting.

Track is Peco, with the Stock from various sources. Locos are a mix of Farish, Dapol and Union Mills, with some kit built items, with some more in the pipeline. Coaches are just Farish & Dapol, with one NGS kit Gresley Full Brake. Wagons are also a mix of Farish, Dapol, Peco and NGS kits, with a couple of parkside & a Parkwood Diesel Brake Tender. Control is DC with 5 sections (Front Sidings, Down Main, Up Main, Back Platform & Reception). Points are controlled by Peco solenoid point motors.
20210627_211404.jpg
20210626_151321_2.jpg
20210627_181012.jpg
20210627_180143_2.jpg

A couple of pictures are on here. Some of the layout has changed, but these are the latest pictures, as time hasn't allowed me put this board up recently. (The loading dock & Cattle Dock are were the 31 & 16 are on the last photo)
I'll try and upload some of the recent projects I've done mainly with some NGS wagon kits. Hope this all made sense and makes you want to know a little more about the layout as I give updates on my work.

Stu
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Woodbourne; The Lea Valley(ish) in N Gauge

Post by 03piggs »

Projects from last year that I need to finish off are a batch of 8 wagons from NGS kits.

Biggest one has been a pair of LNER Fruit vans, one planked & one plywood. The roof vents were sourced from Langley Miniature Models via a well known auction site. I also had 3 of these vans that I had built previously, but hadn't added the vents, so these also had them added.
IMG-20220905-WA0003.jpg
Unfortunately, some of the glue seeped onto my finger while fitting one of the vents, though I managed to scrape away some of the ridges. These are now ready for the roofs to be painted, which has since been done and has helped hide the fingerprint. The lettering on the completed vans will be modified at some point.
IMG-20220905-WA0004.jpg
These are all the wagons ready for final roof painting and to have their chassis, Brake pipes & buffer beams painted black, as well as a coat of gloss varnish. These kits are all from the NGS & are twin packs. Apart from the LNER Vans, the others are Shock Van & Open, GWR Vans (1 as a MOGO the other as a Plywood Vent Van) and also a pair of 5 plank wagons of LMS & GWR designs.
IMG-20220911-WA0004.jpg
These will be finished this year, as well as some of my other projects, which include 4 loco kits and 6 locos that need renumbering. This is because I have done a bit of a clear out of my stock, so only GE locos or locos that have been recorded as seen on the GE can be used on the layout. Also, I some upgrading of some old Graham Farish 'Suburban Coaches' into LMS non-corridor coaches as run on the LTS....so I need a few more torpedo vents.... :shock:

Also, I have some other projects to finish on the main layout board, as well as work on the platforms, station buildings, footbridges,...basically there are enough things to keep me out of trouble for awhile!! :lol: :lol:

Hope you found this intresting, more updates when they are done.
Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi all,

Thought I'd show what I've doing since the last photos where taken.
So what I had done is buy locos & stock for whatever I fancied, but late last year I decided that I needed to have a sort out and get rid of whatever wasn't either allocated to East Anglia (so that's the 30-33 shed code districts) or been seen on the East Anglia lines. This was done by scanning copies of Trains Illustrated & looking through the Shed by Shed book for the Eastern Region. The picture below was the result.. :shock:
IMG-20230122-WA0003.jpg
Before I had packed it up, I had also gone through what chassis could be used for kits of GE motive power and these where then purchased. So below is the chassis doners and the kits waiting to be built. (To be fair, I've had the atso-cad C12 & L1 for a while)
IMG-20230122-WA0000.jpg
Finally, I could look at what locos needed to be re-numbered to fit in with the GE area. Below is the locos that need to go through this process.
IMG-20230122-WA0001.jpg
This last week, I've been concentrating on finishing these off, so the wagons & Locos have been getting their transfers applied. I use Fox transfers for loco numbering, as I just prefer them. The wagon transfers are a mix of Modelmaster, Fox & NGS. (Sorry for the angle, I can't seem to flip it)
20230127_100849.jpg
Some of the locos that may be a bit unusual for the GE include a Farish 4P numbered 40925. This is a Crewe loco, but was seen at Cambridge on a turn from Bletchley. The J11 is numbered 64442. This type was seen on the M&GN, but this loco was seen at Temple Mills. All the more remarkable as this is a Barnsley Loco! Finally is the J94 numbered 68033. This was one that was based at Hornsey in the late 50's/early 60s. They worked into the docks from Ferme Park.

Hope you found that interesting. I try and put up another post when all is complete with the wagons and locos.

Stu
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

This is excellent. I love the photos, and they show how layouts build up slowly from a rather spartan start.

I'm assuming this is all set in the early 1960s, given the small yellow panel on the class 16.

Do they make an Eastern DMU in 2mm? It might be worth trying to acquire a Derby lightweight 2-car unit, as they could be found all over East Anglia during the 1960s.

Thanks very much for sharing. I look forward to seeing more photos as the project progresses.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

03piggs wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:39 pm ...Some of the locos that may be a bit unusual for the GE include a Farish 4P numbered 40925. This is a Crewe loco, but was seen at Cambridge on a turn from Bletchley. The J11 is numbered 64442. This type was seen on the M&GN, but this loco was seen at Temple Mills. All the more remarkable as this is a Barnsley Loco! Finally is the J94 numbered 68033. This was one that was based at Hornsey in the late 50's/early 60s. They worked into the docks from Ferme Park.

Hope you found that interesting...
Oh yes, this is a major part of the charm of ER during the steam to diesel transition. My modelling is based on the BR 34 shed code area, and I can have a good selection of the so characterful surviving GER design classes, a couple allocated, others regular or occasional visitors. Similarly with GCR classes and one NER class. As for the 'leakage' from the less fortunate regions of BR, there's a fairly distant limit. A total 46 steam classes, the sum of natives and visitors, can authentically appear. :D
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

strang steel wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:08 pm This is excellent. I love the photos, and they show how layouts build up slowly from a rather spartan start.

I'm assuming this is all set in the early 1960s, given the small yellow panel on the class 16.

Do they make an Eastern DMU in 2mm? It might be worth trying to acquire a Derby lightweight 2-car unit, as they could be found all over East Anglia during the 1960s.

Thanks very much for sharing. I look forward to seeing more photos as the project progresses.
Thanks strang steel.

Its based 1950-1962. Although the timetable is from 1953, anything in that period will work the services. Also my locos are anything that was based at the 30-33 districts, though most of those classes where seen in the lea valley. Trains Illustrated has been very helpful with this.

There is a Derby lightweight available, but id have to try and source a suitable motor...and its a brass kit, which kind of scares me! I have hoped that Bachmann will scale down their 105 but that hasn't happened. (Tbh, nothing really happens for N when Bachmann does any announcement)

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:29 am
03piggs wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:39 pm ...Some of the locos that may be a bit unusual for the GE include a Farish 4P numbered 40925. This is a Crewe loco, but was seen at Cambridge on a turn from Bletchley. The J11 is numbered 64442. This type was seen on the M&GN, but this loco was seen at Temple Mills. All the more remarkable as this is a Barnsley Loco! Finally is the J94 numbered 68033. This was one that was based at Hornsey in the late 50's/early 60s. They worked into the docks from Ferme Park.

Hope you found that interesting...
Oh yes, this is a major part of the charm of ER during the steam to diesel transition. My modelling is based on the BR 34 shed code area, and I can have a good selection of the so characterful surviving GER design classes, a couple allocated, others regular or occasional visitors. Similarly with GCR classes and one NER class. As for the 'leakage' from the less fortunate regions of BR, there's a fairly distant limit. A total 46 steam classes, the sum of natives and visitors, can authentically appear. :D
Thanks Hatfield Shed,

It is very true. I'm starting to go through my TI copies to see what was reported to have been seen south of Peterborough. One thing I have seen is that the amount of SR locos working through is quite high. Some of the reports of them on the GN seem to see the loco come off at Ferme Park. When on the GE the SR Light Pacific's where seen at Parkeston.

Stu
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

03piggs wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:30 pm

There is a Derby lightweight available, but id have to try and source a suitable motor...and its a brass kit, which kind of scares me!

Stu
I know exactly what you mean about brass kits, they frighten me as well. I did buy a brass wagon kit once, in order to try out my skills, but it became a disaster. The brass bends far too easily, and with my cow udder fingers the result was less than realistic even to anyone with poor eyesight. This was in 00 and I can't imagine the extra problems with N gauge.

My model is based on GCR meets GNR in the late 1950s, with a bit of MR running powers for extra interest. Apparently, an rtr A5 tank loco is in the pipeline, which will be great for added realism with the L1s. I have a Cravens which occasionally gets an outing in the guise of driver training.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

strang steel wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:55 am
I know exactly what you mean about brass kits, they frighten me as well. I did buy a brass wagon kit once, in order to try out my skills, but it became a disaster. The brass bends far too easily, and with my cow udder fingers the result was less than realistic even to anyone with poor eyesight. This was in 00 and I can't imagine the extra problems with N gauge.
[/quote]

Yeah it is going to be intresting as I've got a Brass Thompson BZ to build at some point, so will see how I get on when I build up the courage to build it!

:D :D :D

Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi All,

Since the last update, I've managed to finish all of the transfers on both the locos & wagons. I used Fox transfers for the locos, and a mix of Fox, Modelmaster & NGS transfers for the wagons.
20230208_102506.jpg
20230208_101544.jpg
20230208_102004.jpg
I'm really pleased how they have all come out, as this was my first time re-numbering locos. Was a little nervous about it before I started, as I didn't want to mess it up. Really proud of the J39, as it feels like its a factory finish.
2.jpg
The biggest pain I had was the Shock wagons. I tried to used the transfers for the distinctive stripes, but after several attempts of them not 'sticking' (and the wagons nearly finding themselves out the window), I just decided to give up them, so they need to be painted on now. The GWR open is an experiment to try and get the G W to show through the grey paint.
The Diesel Brake Tender was in my 'to do' box, and I thought I'd just have a go at it. I'm pleased how its come out, but the number isn't correct for this kind of DBT. But the number is so small, I didnt think it would matter that much!

Next project is to complete some of the outstanding items in my 'to do' box, so will keep you updated with these previously unfinished projects.

Stu

PS. Sorry about the pictures. I have no idea what is going on with them and why they are like this.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

The locos really do look good. I have trouble with 4mm transfers, so how anyone can manage the 2mm versions is beyond me and my cow udder fingers and failing eyesight for close-up work.

The wagons look pretty good to me, even without the white stripes. I tend to weather my stock using thinned down acrylics (water is perfect for acrylics), and just give them a quick brush wash in that mixture. I find upturned bottle tops from plastic fizzy drink bottles to be ideal for mixing small amounts of paint.

I don't do each wagon the same. Some I splash the thinned paint all over, but others I dab a very small brush into corners and let the paint run where it wants to go. A bit of trial and error produces quite a realistic result, as the water will evaporate leaving thin paint (I tend to use Revell 'Anthracite' or 'Tar Black' or I mix a bit of both) in some areas but not others.

On the subject of the photos, they may be sideways on the thumbnails, but when I click on each one the image comes up the right way round (at least they do on my laptop).
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi All!

Sorry for the lack of updates, but there has been a lack of work! (I know, I'm slacking :D)

I managed to finish off a few projects from my 'to do' box, but then got distracted at trying to start a YouTube channel with main line footage (Shameless Plug; Link in Bio)
I also added to my pile with the following from the Ally Pally show;
IMG-20230621-WA0002 1.jpg
These are 4 ex Parkside Dundas Kits (LNER 20T Loco Coal; 12T BR Pipe Open & 2x BR Grampus Opens), also a couple of BH Enterprises Brass kits, One is a LNER Fish Van (Think this is the early Diagram) & a Quad-Art set (Though this feels more like a scratch aid)
The Quad-Art is a bit of a mystery to me, as I'm not sure what variation this is. If this was a GN Quad, then all of the sides should be the same length. The fact that its not, would point it to being a GE (also know as a Hertford) Quad. The problem with this is that the longer coaches where on the end of the sets, which the longer sides are for the middle coaches. Also one of these sides apears to be a 'semi-open' which none of the Quads had. Any help on this would be apprecated.

Then there was the NGS event at the NRM in York where I bought the following;
IMG-20230621-WA0003.jpg
The A3 was a bit of a impulse buy of the Anoraks Anonyms stand, though they did get diverted through Cambridge on occasions. :)

Been steadily working through these recently, so will upload more soon with these builds.

Stu
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

It’s a GN section quad – sort of.

On these the brake and the adjacent carriage were just over 38’ long, while the other two were 43’ 6”.

However, on the third-class quads the two 43’ 6” carriages were all thirds, while on the composite quads, both were composites. Here we have one of each, the idea no doubt being that two identical etches would provide all the right sort of carriages for an eight-car set.

The fish van is a GCR type, with slatted sides for ventilation, rather than the louvres of the otherwise rather similar LNER dia 23.

D
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Darryl Tooley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:30 am It’s a GN section quad – sort of.

On these the brake and the adjacent carriage were just over 38’ long, while the other two were 43’ 6”.

However, on the third-class quads the two 43’ 6” carriages were all thirds, while on the composite quads, both were composites. Here we have one of each, the idea no doubt being that two identical etches would provide all the right sort of carriages for an eight-car set.

The fish van is a GCR type, with slatted sides for ventilation, rather than the louvres of the otherwise rather similar LNER dia 23.

D
Thanks for this Darryl.
That certainly solves the mystery of the Quad-Art. Wasn't really wanting a GN set, so not 100% sure what im going to do with this now. :?

Thanks also about the Fish Van. The instructions have no prototype information on them, so I had to assume that it was a LNER dia 23, from the picture I've seen in 'Acquired Wagons of British Railways'.

Does anyone know if any of the GCR Fish Vans make it to Nationalisation? And if they did, what condition were they in?

Thanks in advance,
Stu
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

Hi again!

Time to show what I've been up too.
20230526_165621.jpg
First up is the finished(ish) wagons from the kits I was working on before. I'm really happy with how the GWR open came out. I love that this was the effect I was hoping to achieve, and it worked. The Shock wagons need a little touching up, as I had a wee bit of bleed from the masking, but it should be easy to correct. The Opens also need some weight added.
20230609_201642.jpg
This is another quick project Ive finished. This started life as a wooden chassis Warburton's Van that I repainted Brown and added transfers to. The repaint was really bad (One of my first), so recently I wanted to make some changes.
I found out that none of the Vans with this body type had wooden chassis, so this was removed and replaced with a Peco 9ft steel chassis to make a GWR V33 Van. I had to add some ends from a 10ft chassis, as the sides were a little short, and these also had to be trimmed to create a good join. These only had brake shoes on 1 side, which has been replicated. Finished off with some Farish Spoked wheels (which had the tip of the point filed down), its just now waiting for transfers. (Sorry for this not being an LNER van)

Next up are some Parkside Dundas & Osbornes kits.

Stu

PS; sorry for the wagon building spam, but work on the layout is on hold due to a possible house move. Wagons are just easier to work on!