3D prints

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

3D prints

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Hi,
Jonathan suggested setting up a NER thread for 3D prints instead of clogging up Dave’s thread. So over the next day or two I will post some pics of wagons and other items which may be of interest to board members. I am using an Ender 3 S1 so I will not get to the same level of detail as resin machines can achieve.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: 3D prints

Post by richard »

I'll split away the posts from the exiting thread into their own thread.

Richard (mod)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Thanks Richard. That first line should have read 'another thread' but somehow came out NER.
First couple of pics are an early print of one of Kevin Knight's 2mm LMS D1814 vans.
Attachments
IMG-20220911-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20220911-WA0006.jpeg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

An LMS BC container, to Page 126 of the diagram book. This is one of Sascha's older designs based on photos in Paul Bartlett's collection. It was produed in both Tongue and Grovve and plywood versions. Sascha's model needs a slight revision to the end planking as it has wider planks there than on the side. Personally I will just fill the plank lines and rescribe. As thye are on the end they are not likely to be too visible on a moving conflat. I have toyed witht he idea of putting filler in all the grooves to get a plywood version. I have used the same technique on 3 old Mainle GWR 12t van bodies to get the later plywood version. That was a lot of very and has taken several coats of filler and sanding to even look presentable, but the AK interactive filler I am using now fills better than the Plastic Magic filler, in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG-20220911-WA0012.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sascha has now uploaded his LMS meat containers to his Prinatables page along with some DIY decals for those who can print such things. My early prints were missing some details but that was down to my slicer software not the files Sascha had done. I had the same issue with parts not printing on some of Jonny Duffets designs too.

https://www.printables.com/de/social/39 ... nok/models

We really need LMS conflats to do these beauties justice. I will try and run off new prints of these later this week, this time sliced in Cura.
Attachments
20230205_162733.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Ran off this BR pig iron wagon to D1/004 this morning from Jonny Duffett's stable. Its a tough test for my fdm machine doing all those fine web supports and a quick tidy up with a file should produce a nice wagon that is not available rtr. orin kit form.

It augurs well for trying Jonny's latest LNER/LMS/BR 20t steel plate and twin bolsters, plus the trestle version. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Parkside kits and the Bachmann RTR versions, the latter being very nice models indeed. Jonny has coil carrrying conversions of these planned too which is what really interests me as I have enough Parkside and BR models for my Carlisle based needs at present.
Attachments
20230224_092621.jpg
20230224_092632.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hi,
A manged to run off this LMS weltrol yestderday. It took 13 hours printing at 0.05mm in a effort to capture as much rovet detail as possible. It needs a bit of work with the file to clean it up, but not too much.
Attachments
20230228_145812.jpg
20230228_145824.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hi,
Apologies for being away for a while. I have been having fun and games with the 3d printer producing some pretty awful results for several weeks and have only recently started to get prints approaching the quality of what I was getting before. I am not sure what the issue was or if it is now resolved but some prints this week have been reasonable, at least compared to a few weeks ago. Prints have been very stringy and vertical lines have been jaggy. I'm not sure if its the PLA I am now using. The Esun ePLA gloss is no longer available on Amazon and the only online store I can find selling it in the UK wants to charge as much for posting it to Belfast as the spool of PLA itself, but you would get free delivery on the mainland. Thats what happens when firms switch to couriers rather than use the Royal Mail.
These are the best prints to have come off the production line recently. Some cable drums designed by Jonny Duffett and printed at the request of fellow Ulster Model Railway Club members.
Attachments
20230518_080836.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Phil Brighton was kind enough to send me copies of his .stls for his wagons. This is the GNR sliding door van. 18 hours to print at 0.08mm layer height. To try and avoid having the supports in and around the exquisite brake gear Phil has included, I have printed most of his designs upside down, hence the raft still on the roof. This van is not too stringy on the sides but it its quite prevalent on the ends. The first print was quite nice until a closer look at the planks revealed very jaggy lines between the planks. This one looks a bit better but you can see a shift to the right near the top of the body. I might be able to clean that up. I should stress that these are issues with my printer/slicer settings and not Phil's CAD work.
Attachments
20230519_101447.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Another of Phil's masterpieces, this time a perishables van to D79. The verticals look much better but there is some clear difference in quality between some layers and a fair number of blobs and a bit of stringing. However, after a bit of work with a scalpel and file the body is looking more reasonable, albeit at the price of some handling damage to the delicate brake gear. Again I would stress this is an issue with my printing, not Phil's artwork as you can see the quality of his prints elsewhere on the forum.

If anybody has any advice on what I can do to improve these prints I would be grateful. I have reduced line width, slowed printing down to 20mm a second, dialled in the retraction settings as best I can and, (despite what the pictures suggest) that has reduced the stringing and blobs. I am using Esun Pla+ matte white at the minute. I managed to pick up some Esun ePLA gloss on ebay and it should arrive tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference. Does anyone else use an Ender 3 S1, if so what settings are you using on your slicer?
Attachments
20230520_103000.jpg
20230521_170554.jpg
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Interesting to see them printed on a different printer to mine. I have a resin printer so designed them for that I don't know how well a filiment printer will deal with the underframe parts but will be good to find out.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

On the subject of 3D prints we have a person in Tasmania who has started to develop a range of 3D printed wagons - under the name Bygone Wagons. I commissioned her to print an LNER refrigerator van for me. After a little bit of back and forth I ended up with a numbers of vans - which have been produced in a kit form. I've only built one so far a Dia 21 on steel underframe. The body is about 1mm too short and not 100% perfect but it does capture the look fairly well after a bit of work. Its been printed on a filament printer as that's what she works with. I found a number of the vertical planks on the sides and horizontal planks on the ends have fine crevices along them so painted the relevant planks with several coats of Humbrol matt white to fill them, then lightly sanded them. I also replaced the printed strapping/door hinges with brass strip that I had in stock and added Lanarkshire buffers and ladders from Wizard. I have 5 more to build - one or two of which will be built to Dia 20 with timber underframes.

Phil Brighton did send me the files for his version but no one I knew could print them - one BRMA member tried but his printer was not of sufficient high quality.

Andrew
IMG_2226 ps.jpg
IMG_2261 ps.jpg
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

That looks pretty good to me.

I don't tend to get too close to my models, either with or without a magnifying glass, so a few minor errors here and there don't worry me.

As you say, as long as it looks 'right' from a sensible viewing distance.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

That D21 looks pretty good to me too. I have Phil’s file for the same van but have not tried to print it yet until I can resolve a few of the issue illustrated above. You can see that the underlying detail of Phil’s artwork is there but my printer/slicer/ PLA is not tuned in well enough to do them justice. Hopefully I can resolve that and get back to the better print quality I had earlier when running off Sascha’s containers.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

these all look good, and I know many are happy with the results, which is fine, it does show some of the restrictions on
printing 3d files all in one go.

However, it does occur to me that you may have to consider whether or not your filament is too old, or water logged.
Even the latest filaments are somewhat hydroscopic and if not stored properly, can be slightly off whack for precision
printing.

I have a Creality ender 3, and have had some problems with stuff not fixing to the bed properly, and some were traced
to my filament being too old, and hence carrying more moisture content than perfect. Mind you, I found that an updated
creality software worked better than the industry standard, even though it was based on that. Strange.

Also worth remembering that filament printers are very much like ink jet printers in that they leave a trace of their
motion, and sometimes the design is too thin for use by standard filament.

HTH

Paul