carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

LNER steel container Ender 3 S1 print using Cura slicer at 0.08mm
Attachments
20230204_130422.jpg
20230204_130428.jpg
20230204_130434.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Daves C & W Works

Jonny Duffett has also put up a steel LNER 6w BG on his page and I printed the chassis a few days ago. Again this is it just off the build plate before any cleaning up. Most of the stringing was caused when the small steps failed to print, probably due to the supports being too weak in fdm and getting pulled by the print head. I would have been replacing them with brass supports anyway. I have not printed the body yet. It will take about 13 hours.
Jonny has also just released a LNER/BR plate wagon too.
Attachments
20230131_162343.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

And a couple of shots of some BR wagons to show that the S1 managed to produce the fine webs and supports pretty well, certainly much better using Cra as they had failed to print at all using Creality's own slicer. I have got the pig iron tidied up a bit and drilled the cut away some plastic in the w irons to allow me to recess top hat bearings in to the axleboxes. Jonny's designs take wheels without bearing but I prefer to fit bearings and then use Dapol 3 hole disc wheels, the cheapest available at present. I have done the same on Jonny's Conflat Bs and took them to the Ulster model Railway club on Thursday night. They managed to get round the 40' oval test track on one push. The 3d design process makes for good square chassis even if I have to angle a 2mm drill bit to fit the bearings.
Attachments
20230203_104602.jpg
20230203_111829.jpg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

carlislecitadel2 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:18 pm LNER steel container Ender 3 S1 print using Cura slicer at 0.08mm
I hope you don't mind, but I have called Jonathan Wealleans attention to this. I promised to make some a long time ago and have failed to do so.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Not a problem. This is actually the LMS version of the container. The LNER ones had vents on the doors. They can all be found at the link I posted further up this thread. Sascha Freundenberg has done a great job on this and other containers and I know he has a couple of others planned. His SR style one which can be printed with doors open and interior detail is great. Hes even planning LMS meat containers with open doors and meat hooks with carcasses.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Stephen.
Thank you for the kind comments on the H4.
Wow the photo's of the prints of the containers and wagon look very good.
I wish I had a printer as I think it is the way forward to a healthy cottage industry in the future.
The big RTR boys will have to look out with their obsession with collectors, when there is such good
stuff being printed. Please feel free to keep us update, I find it fascinating.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

carlislecitadel2 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:36 pm Not a problem. This is actually the LMS version of the container. The LNER ones had vents on the doors. They can all be found at the link I posted further up this thread. Sascha Freundenberg has done a great job on this and other containers and I know he has a couple of others planned. His SR style one which can be printed with doors open and interior detail is great. Hes even planning LMS meat containers with open doors and meat hooks with carcasses.
No obvious link ?? I presume these are 4mm ?

cheers

Mick
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

Post by jwealleans »

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks JW , I had presumed it was refering to someone who could actually print them.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

No, the way this work sis that someone designs them and then you can download the files and print them. Not unlike that brick paper site whose name escapes me.

I have asked a mate to print one of the containers and will report when it turns up.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hi folks,
Just to clarify, despite the name of this thread, these containers were drawn by Sascha Freudenberg and these are just my prints of his designs. I intend to post prints as they have come off my fdm printer with no tidying up to let you see the quality, or lack thereof, of the prints. These are not a reflection of the actual CAD drawings which are best judged in a 3d viewing package. A resin printer will undoubtedly deliver better results than my Ender 3 S1, but I am tweaking settings in the Cura slicer to get the best results.
Sascha's containers are all designed for N guage so I have enlarged them in a slicer by 195%. They are printed at 0.8mm layer height. The white models used a PLA often used for architectural models which is quite strong but consequently hard to file. They were sliced in Creality's own slicer and were among my first prints and tended to be quite stringy and less detailed than prints sliced n Cura, which I have been using since the start of the year. I will probably reprint these earlier models in Cura for comparison. The grey models were printed in Sunlu grey PLA, which is slightly softer, and sliced in Cura. I am very new to 3d printing and am still experimenting with different settings in Cura to try and improve the results. I have been using a .4mm nozzle so far but intend to switch to a .2mm to see if that significantly improves the definition of the models enough to justify doubling the print time. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the best out of the Cura package please add your comments.
Also the first container at the top of this thread is of the LMS version of the steel container from page 55 of their container diagram book.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Next up is one of the Techbears PLA prints of an LMS BC container from page 126 of their container diagram book built in 1938.
Attachments
IMG-20220911-WA0012.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hot off the printer tonight, a LNER BL container. This differs from the LMS D55 at the top of the thread in that it has vents at both ends whereas the LMS version has none. I still have to remove the supports which were needed to print the 5 transver beams underneath the container. The pictures are cruel as the vertical ribs at the side look much more pitted than they appear to the eye. I few swift stokes with a needle file will take care of these. Unfortunatley the lifting loops have failed to print fully. The 3d files can be downloaded from the link below, along with a file for their LNER markings, for those who can print their own transfers. Unfortunately I cannot so it may be sometime before this gets finished.
https://www.printables.com/model/349082 ... iner-1-148

Full details of the design can be found in Tatlows Volume 4b. I hope to print the version with roof supports tomorrow as used by those containers intended to be stackable for use in ferry traffic.

We just to get some kind person to 3d design some LNER container flats to show these off as built, before the Conflat S came in to use.
Attachments
20230206_232407.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

and the end wihout doors
Attachments
20230206_232419.jpg