carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

Post by jwealleans »

We just to get some kind person to 3d design some LNER container flats to show these off as built, before the Conflat S came in to use.
Conflat V decks can be had from Graeme King in resin (from my master) and all the bits to complete them are available.

I did also start to make a master for a D76 Container Flat and this might just spur me to complete it, but I need to get hold of a container first so I can make sure it fits.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

Finally got the BSS version printed. Note that Sascha has modelled the strengthing ironwork at the corners compared to the standard version.
Attachments
20230209_110030.jpg
20230209_110037.jpg
20230209_110048.jpg
20230209_110030.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

So who is volunteering to 3d print some conflats to carry these? :wink:
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

As the BSS version was designed with extra strengthening and roof beams to permit stacking container on board ships, I assume these were used on specific traffic flows and may not have moved off these in to general use. Does anyone have any idea what these traffic flows might have been, or am I assuming wrongly? With the war causing interruption to cross channel trade and the LNER not shipping to Ireland, would these have moved about more widely during the conflict?
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Good to see more progress.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

I hope to be posting the first couple of containers out to those who requested them tomorrow morning, all being well.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

I printed some of Sascha's little H conatiners last night used by all the Big 4 companies. It was intersted to compare the latest Cura sliced version done at 0.05mm layers of Sunlu grey, with the version I printed back in August using the Creality slicer and Techbears white PLA+. The August print captured the lifting hooks while lasts night batch of 6 did not. The floor is also correctly planked along the length of the wagon in the August print, so I am not sure what is going on there. Batch printing definitely seems to result in more stringing on the prints and excess plastic.
Attachments
20230213_173612.jpg
20230213_173538.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

I also found pics of a couple other designs of Sascha's that I had printed months ago using the Creality slicer. First up is a SR and private owner design with diagonal sheeting. Sascha has made this printable in closed and open versions. The detail inside looks great. He even does furniture and workmen unloading it which you can download form his pages. He also does the H with an open end door and has modelled small loads for it though I have not printed them.

The second container is an LMS BC of Page 126 built in 1938. There were also plywood versions of this. The print came out very well but the end has different height planking compared to the tongue and groove on the sides. Not too hard to fix with filler and a scrawker.
Attachments
IMG-20220911-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20220911-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20220911-WA0012.jpg
20230213_173420.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sorry, had not realised 4 images was the max.
Attachments
20230213_173516.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

I forwarded on Dave's drawings of an LNER A type container to D24 on to Sascha Freudenberg at the weekend and he sent a new .stl file through this evening. Its not a D24 as it has a vertical swivelling door catach as opposed to the diagonal U channel used on D24s. I suspect its a D39 but the label board may have been in the top right on D39s. Has anyone any photos of these? Given the D35 shown in LNER Wagons Vol 4b has planks so tightly fitted it looks like ply, then this could certainly pass for a D35. Either way its another A type container and this design was used, with the details modelled as is, by the LMS - 300 built by them 1936-7. I am sure some LMS versions traversed LNER metals. I intend to print one tomorrow evening and will post pics. In the meantime I have attached a view of the .stl as viewed in Meshmixer.

Christmas may be behind us but Sascha is the gift that keeps giving. Reead through my slightly edited response to his chat last night where he announced his plans for an LNER BC, LMS and LNER D types, including the steel LMS version of the D, and another LMS steel A type. He is also doing another couple of LMS meat containers in addition to the 4 he has kindly done already but not yet published.

Hi Sascha,
A D container would be very welcome too. There is a 4mm kit by Parkside of the DX container used by the LMS and LNER. The stretchers across the open top are very thin and usually break when fitting them. Your H containers as you say were used everywhere and you did great little loads and an open version too. I think they probably had a lid most the time but that’s just a quick bit of work with plasticard. I cannot see a drawing of it but presume it was probably the same as the floor.

The LNER guys would love a BC container and they shipped bikes everywhere so it can run on all companies’ tracks! [The masochist in him is planning a version with open doors to show the racks with bikes loaded] However, why stop at the BC? The later Bs and most of the BDs used the same internal dimensions the BC being 4-5 inches wider – barely noticeable in modelling terms. So the plywood BC body to D22, 29 of which were built, will effectively give you:
B37 – 40 built 1944 – no side doors either
BK, B31 and B36, 830 built from 1935 on in to the ‘40s.
Add in side doors
BD29 – 300 built 1937-9
BD40 – 308 built 1944-46
Annoyingly the LNER volume only gives internal dimensions, but they are always within an inch of each other bar the extra width of the BC. Most of the LNER B types appear to be plywood, but the book says some were of planked construction and in the one case (admittedly a D35 A type) it says it is planked in the photo but to my eye, apart from the drop door on the end, it is plywood or the planks are incredibly well fitted together. The LMS had a lot of horizontally planked versions after the initial ply batch of 1936, and they reverted to ply in the mid 40s.
And if you were really keen, the later LNER FM 25 containers had the same body design but to slightly shorter and higher dimensions, if it an be adjusted during drawing after strapping is added??
Just beware of the different LNER end door catches as time went on. Initially it was a diagonal bar across the door and then later it was the normal vertical swiveling bar as on the side doors of the BD. Also if you model BDs the side door hinges varied. Earlier ones were small before moving to a larger type similar to what the LMS used on their BDs throughout.
Of course it would also be useful as an LMS plywood container too. The LMS BDs are all 16’0” x 7’0” x 7’5” externally but with variations on the internal dimensions so that’s probably what the LNER ones wee too. Maybe Dave has detailed drawings of them?

I am running off an other half dozen as I type of your H type containers. I’m doing them at 0.05mm and its taking about 15 hours to print 6 at one go. Your transfers to letter these up would be greatly appreciated if you have the time. I am going to stick up pics of them on the LNER info thread.

As for the LMS A type to Lot 762/818 that would be superb. There is an incredible amount of variety in A type containers alone, maybe not surprising given they were the first designs built and different materials and ideal sizes were being experimented with before they settled on 7’0” x 7’6” x 7’11” in 1936.
[https://www.lmssociety.org.uk/topics/containers.php]
The LNER drawings that Dave sent through are identical except the height is 7’8” and the door catch is the diagonal bar arrangement.
Speaking of later A types, your earlier design to LMS lots 1460/1528 is still great, especially considering you designed it without having the benefit of drawings at the time. I may have asked you this before, but can you modify this to a plywood version easily or is it a complete redraw? I would imagine you can do plywood, save it, then add planks and do a second save. However can you take away plank lines from something you have saved? I have been thinking about running off a couple of prints and using filler to make the plywood versions. I also noticed this evening that the earlier versions had the large label board at the bottom left had side rather than the top. I wonder why they moved it? I would have thought it was easier to apply labels in that position when the container was loaded on top of a wagon, otherwise a ladder is required from ground height. Possibly the thinking was it was too low for advertising purposes and most of the ‘audience’ would see it passing through station and they were standing up so the ‘advert’ would be at knee height on the way through.
Possibly apart from the label board position, your A type matches LNER type 38 of 1944. Apart from an inch or two in various dimensions it would match the LNER plywood versions built to D24 et al built from 1936 on - if it could be done in ply.

I thought this reply would take about 10 minutes but containers and their research are addictive!

All the best,
Stephen

Sascha, being the oliging chap that he is, may well take the above comments positively and I would not be surprised if we get a LNER BC/K and a BD. He was not long turning around a revised A type but he has made it clear he has not set a timescale for producing these other containers as he is working on other different designs, including a 3d printable model of the BR/Sealink container ships Container Enterprise and Container Venturer. as an aside, if anybody happens have photos or drawings of these two vessels built in 1958 for decicated container traffic from Heysham to Belfast carrying BD containers, Sascha would be very grateful. He has got everything out there on the web and was hoping I might have had contacts here in Belfast docks, which I do, but they have no photos, just memories of postioning them in the docks. Do we have any members from Heysham on here who might have photos of these vessels?

Any messages of encouragement to spur Sascha on with his container designs would be greatly apprciated. This time last year I never thought I would have 4 different LMS meat containers, let alone Hs and several A and B types. He deserves all the credit he gets for this work and as you can see he has a huge volume of output. The best way to show some appreciation might be to download more of his designs form his Printables page. https://www.printables.com/social/39900 ... nok/models

Hopefully I might have a print of the A type posted by Thursday.

Regards,
Stephen
Attachments
LNER A container to D24 et al.png
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

carlislecitadel2 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:01 am So who is volunteering to 3d print some conflats to carry these? :wink:
I have modelled and printed some conflats will try and get some pictures up later this week. Don't know if they would be suitable but happy to share.

What is the plan for doing the writing on these containers?
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sascha has done a PDF of suitable lettering for the B steel containers, both LMS and LNER, which can be downloaded from his Prinatbles page, for those who can print their own decals. Alternatively if somebody wants to PM me with their email address I can email the PDFs. I was thinking of submitting them to John Peck of Precision Models after seeing the perishables ones he did on another thread. I'm not sure if Sascha's PDFs would be suitable having read the guidelines on the Precision site. Sascha is also drawing up decals in a similar fashion for the H container as well and I presume he will follow up with ones for the A type.

First print of A container decided to detach from the raft a couple of hours in, turned at about 20 degrees and printed for a few more hours before going right off the raft. Will try another one tomorrow night. I have had the printer running through the night for 5 nights in a row printing the Bs and while I can sleep through it, I'm going to have a quiet night.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Impressive. I begin to perceive that a 3D printer is becoming a likely purchase...

Nearly as impressive as the link to the LMS Society's reproduction of the interesting 1928 LMS article on the economics of containers, which doubles as a historico-hysterical record of the obfuscatory English of a near-century past.
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

First print of the A type.
Attachments
20230216_081319.jpg
20230216_081330.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

I figured out the issue with the print of the B types and as usual it lay between the keyboard and the seat. I must have mixed up my X and Y dimensions when resizing the print in the slicer. The office foetus who is a professional 3D designer in his usual role pointed it out in 2 seconds flat. :?