carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: carlislecitadel2's 3d printed Steel Containers

Post by carlislecitadel2 »

And may the best team win the rugby today - Ireland!
Attachments
GOT armourers workbench.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Sorry to have been away from the board for a while, but I thankfully seem to have got most of my printer woes largely resolved and am getting fairly decent prints again on the S1. So first up we have Mr Freudenberg's latest steel container. While the LNER did not purchase any of the them, the LMS and GWR did buy some of the Butterly steel A type containers produced in 1929. I am sure these must have traversed LNER metals at some point in their lives. Sascha has produced another lovely little model which my print does not quite do justice to. I am sure a resin machine would pick up all the lovely rivet detail. I might try to add it with the smallest Archer rivet decals is they are suitably tiny. As ever these are shown as they come off the build plate with no cleaning up done yet. I am sure the few blemishes can be dealt with by a a needle file pretty swiftly. These two pics are of a model printed at 0.05mm layer height with a 0.4mm nozzle. I have a 0.08mm layer height print on the machine at the minute for comparison. I will post shots of it later. I have become more enamoured with the Esun ePLA white plastic since I changed my slicer settings and its not stringing as much at 45mm/s print speed compared to my older 20mm/s speed prints, yet slowing your print speed down is the usual advice to reduce stringing. Thanks to Alan for the suggested speed and retraction setting changes when he critiqued some of my prints at the recent 1st Bangor show. While the current settings have worked well on most prints, there have been issues with models with thin walls such as plate wagons and Coil Ps from Jonny Duffett's stable, and Phil's refrigerator van. I will have to adjust wall/line thickness again but thats what caused my issues first time round. I have learned my lesson though and have saved profiles before changing them so I can revert back to decent prints again if things don't work out as planned- hopefully
Attachments
20230627_160551.jpg
20230627_160600.jpg
Butterly steel container.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

And of course, Sascha being Sascha, the 1929 Butterly A type had to be accompanied by a print of their B type from the same year. The B is actually just an A type with extra side panels riveted in judging by the pictures available. As we had no picture of the rear of an A type in any books we were speculating as to how it might look when we stumbled across a shot of a B type being lifted and the non door end was pretty clear so that is what the rear of the A type looks like. A 0.08mm layer height print is about to be kicked off and will hopefully be ready for photographing tomorrow evening.
Attachments
Butterly B type.png
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Please find attached some pics of Sascha's Butterly Type B container. It came out pretty well but the rivet detail does not show, so Archer details are required or I can ask a friend to print it in resin for me when he gets time. I should have added a while back in my 3d posts that I do not trust .stls to always import or be rescaled at the correct size in slicer packages. By default I always resize any files using available dimensions noted in the various references, in this case Essery's LMS Wagons Vol.2. The detail has come out very well on this B type, the only area that really needs any work is the cross bracing on the rear end as it has become a little clogged with plastic. I reckon I can probably correct it with some further settings tweaks as it is no thicker or intricate than the 16t mineral end doors which have come up well in the past, admittedly using a different plastic. Due to the nature of FDM printing any curved roof will always need a bit of filler and filing to get a smooth arc.
Attachments
20230628_093436.jpg
20230628_132459.jpg
20230628_132522.jpg
20230628_132537.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

The last print in this steel containers thread for a while is of a BX steel container, the LMS version without end vents, printed in the Esun white ePLA. You can compare it with earlier pictures in the thread of the grey PLA and let me know which you think is better. Sascha has at least one two more steel containers planned, an LMS A type to D14 and a D type, but it could be a few months before these are ready. In the meantime I have just posted some pics of more of his containers which are not of steel construction into my other 3d thread, including Sascha's LNER B6 and D25 designs.
Attachments
20230628_132721.jpg
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

I am very exited to try my first 3d print.
My son twisted my arm to go halves with him on a resin printer and he has done a few successful figures prints so far.
I was delighted to find these lovely steel containers yesterday.
Thank you so much to Sascha and Stephen for the work on these.
I hope to start with the BLS type.
I wondered if anyone had any advice on orientation or parameters for resin printing for these ? (4mm scale, 195%)
Regards from Canada, Tom
LNER4489

Post by LNER4489 »

I thought I would show my this resin print we made from Sascha and Stephen's model yesterday.
We tilted it as people seem to do on resin prints.
The first photo shows the end and the side where no support scaffolding was a ttached, and the second photo shows the end and side that did have the supports. I think the witness marks should clean up well.
I haven't done any filing or sanding, I have just plucked the supports off with my fingers.

I might try the smaller container flat to the build plate with no supports and see what happens.
I am very pleased with it.
Many thanks to Sascha and Stephen for developing the models.
This is my first 3D print and I am still amazed !
Now I need to make a proper conflat !
Tom
Attachments
IMG_4856.jpg
IMG_4855.jpg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Please excuse me if I have missed this earlier in the thread.
How do I buy/obtain one of these ready-printed?
(LNER Type BL with end vents.)
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hi folks,
Apologies for not posting anything recently, but work/life balance has been getting in the way recently, and I am typing this while still on the job 17 hours after starting and needing to consume several chocolate bars post midnight to still be with it!

In answer to the question above, the containers are not available preprinted, but the files are available for free for anyone who wants to print on the 3d machine of their choice. The .stl files for these LNER steel containers are available to download online for free, as is the lettering for these containers for those who can print decals at home, via the following link:
https://www.printables.com/model/349082 ... iner-1-148
There are many companies online who will make prints of .stls you send them at a price, usually depending on the size of the finished print and the type of material it is printed in. There may be some developments in this regard later as well, but I will discuss that if anything comes of it.

We realise most people cannot print decals at home and I am talking to a couple of manufactures about making affordable decals in 2 and 4mm for Sascha's many designs. CCT have said yes to BR versions and I will be supplying Mr Isherwood with some info soon I hope, work time permitting. Big 4 transfers are proving more difficult due to set up costs and getting details re fonts and sizes, but I hope to make some headway there soon.
There are more containers, mainly LMS, in the pipeline that I am currently test printing on my FDM, but so far that is not doing Sascha's fine rivet detail justice. These prints definitely look that bit better in resin. Until I can make a bit more progress on the decal situation, I have not been posting as many updates of what Sascha has drawn. To summarise though, he has now got 7 different LMS and 2 LNER meat containers, 2 steel A types, 6 steel B types, and one each of a wooden B, D and H type done, some of which have been previewed here. I am test printing the latest 3 LMS steel Bs at the minute. Several of these were used by multiple companies.
Slanjonok
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Slanjonok »

LNER4489 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:20 pm I wondered if anyone had any advice on orientation or parameters for resin printing for these ? (4mm scale, 195%)
Hi Tom,

I haven't been here for a while - sorry for late reply. Always happy to see someone's print of our containers.
See pictures how I print these containers on SLA-printer. Doing so I avoid any support on the visible surfaces. Hope this helps.

Stephen uses an FDM-printer, what is quite different in respect to technics. That is also the reason why future containers will be pblished in two versions a hollow one for SLA-printing and a block like one for FDM.

If anything else I can help - please let me know (personal message here or at printables).

Sascha
Attachments
SLA-Container-Support1.jpg
SLA-Container-Support2.jpg
LNER4489

Post by LNER4489 »

Thank you Sascha,
The most recent one I did I had tilted up 45 degrees and barrel rolled along the long axis 45 degrees as well.
The supporting pin marks are not too bad but your solution looks better and I will try that next time.
What layer height to you use with resin ?
Slanjonok
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Slanjonok »

LNER4489 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:29 pm What layer height to you use with resin ?
0.05mm, I have an old Elegoo Mars 2Pro, with an YX-resolution of 0.05 to.
If you have a more modern 4K or 8K-printer, I would consider 0.025mm-layer height for better quality, even it doubles printing time.
LNER4489

Post by LNER4489 »

My son airbrushed an aluminium paint on the LNER container for me, or aluminum as he calls it :-(
He says he has some transfer paper somewhere so we will see if we can make decals here, but I will cross my fingers for Stephen's decal discussions.
Attachments
Steel container, painted.jpg
carlislecitadel2
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hi folks,
Tom's prints of the LNER containers look great in the metallic finish.
Please find attached some pics of 3 more steel continers - LMS ones this time. I am sure these must have reached LNER destinations from time to time.
These are still fdm printed but I have finally switched to a 0.2mm nozzle and am printing at 0.04mm layer height at 30mm/s speed. Some cleaning up is still required but the results are pretty good and would undoubtedly be a bit better in resin where the rivetted detail would be picked up too. The difference from a 0.4mm nozzles is most notable in the resolution of the lifting chains at the corners.
Sascha has done 3 different steel B types and 1 A type and I will post a pic of the 3rd when I get it cleaned up a bit. My printer still produces some unwanted odd marks at random that are not there on the .stls.
Attachments
20231108_122319.jpg
20231108_124843.jpg
20231108_131613.jpg