Mundesley's Island Platform

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Mundesley's Island Platform

Post by Jim de Griz »

Does anyone have/know of any pictures of Mundesley's Island Platform buildings?

My layout is intended to be the never build station of Blakeney on the M&GNJR and its been a long term intention to replace my serviceable (but old and increasingly battered) Superquick station buildings with something more M&GNJR like.

I had intended to use Sheringham as my guide (as its a very pretty building) and I really like the intricate platform canopy. The problem is my station has 3 platforms, not 2 and the island platform is rather narrow, so I couldn't see how to create a matching canopy + building on the island platform. I'd looked round for other prototypes, but as far as I could tell the only station with a similar canopy is Mundesley and all my photos of that station show no buildings on the island platform. In short, I'd rather resigned myself to doing something simpler.

Then I found an old photo of Mundesley Station, showing it once had a building on its island platform beyond the footbridge with exactly the sort of canopy I was looking for. The problem is that all three pictures I have located show basically the same aspect of the building, end on and at more or less platform level with no view of the roof.

The M&GNJR circle doesn't seem to hold any drawings of Mundesley (understandable as it is actually on the Norfolk and Suffolk Joint Railway) I was wondering if anyone here had seen any photos of the island platform buildings.

Jim de Griz
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Mundesley's Island Platform

Post by WTTReprinter »

Have you tried the Great Eastern Rly Soc.?
They have an extensive collection of documents and photos and Mundesley may have appeared in one or two of their Journals.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

The only photograph of Mundesley Station is from an old postcard, reproduced in early Journal 18, April 1979. It shows the island platform to the right with the canopy as you describe, a chimney stack confirming a building underneath it and blocked by the footbridge in front.

There may be more in one of Nigel Digby's two volume work, rare as snake's legs to find a copy but as always capable of being requested through your local library:

The Stations and Structures of the Midland & Great Northern Railway: Lowestoft to Melton Constable Hardcover – 5 April 2014
by Nigel J. L. Digby (Author) ISBN-10 1899889825

You could also try the HMRS.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Thank you for the suggestions, the book in particular looks like something I should try and track down.

Interestingly I found this picture on the net recently

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=49 ... 6641079797

Its taken from a similar angle to the picture in Neil Burgess' Norfolk's Lost Railways, but slightly from the side. It doesn't show the roof detail unfortunately but it does show the rear and side of the building.

Jim de Griz