Burtonbridge

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Burtonbridge

Post by strang steel »

This is my current and as yet unfinished modelling project. I hesitate to call it a model railway layout because it is more like a diorama with a railway running through it.

It is completely fictional, and the station name comes from the name on a map near my favourite trainspotting location from the 1960s. Based loosely in the East Midlands the model is meant to be a location where the GN and GC had a joint line, with a connection (off scene) to the Midland; and has some inspiration from the Nottingham suburban railway, but nothing is based on real prototypes.

The idea was to create a small suburban station between two tunnels, with the station entrance at right angles above the tracks. The construction and development proceeds at a very slow and stuttering pace, mainly due to cost and increasing lack of movement in my fingers due to various joint and nerve problems. However, it will be an ongoing project for many years (hopefully); until I am unable to move my hands at all.

The camera is very cruel and, as you can see from the photos, ballasting of the station tracks is still in progress.

IMG_6586.jpg
This is a close-up of the footbridge access to the platforms from the station entrance building. The water tank and footbridge need a little more detailed weathering, but my plan was to get items in situ as inspiration can wane if I can't see the project progressing.

IMG_6585.jpg
The coaches are old Ian Kirk kits that had lain in a box for years, and the A5 is a welcome new addition which adds more realism to the local passenger workings.

IMG_6587.jpg
Unfortunately, there is no depth of field with the low light in the spare bedroom, and my iPhone is the only decent digital camera I have these days. The platform join is not as prominent as this photo makes out, but I have a few cable and associated items to hide this eventually.

IMG_6584.jpg
The large Metcalfe warehouse is just plonked there out of the way for now, and its final resting place will be above the tunnel when I get around to that part of the model. The large grey building beyond the station is eventually going to be a wagon repair depot, which will add operating interest to the monotonous regularity of suburban passenger trains.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Burtonbridge

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Reminds me of Huddersfield, seen from the Leeds end. Thumbs up.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Looks very cool, I like the idea of putting the station between two tunnels. Keeps everything compact, but realistically so!

Jim de Griz
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Thanks for the kind words Manna and Jim.

In the end I bought a signal box kit from Gaugemaster. It is not strictly correct for the area where the station is set, but it looks the part in the photo on the box, and my attempt may look something similar once built, although I usually manage to glue my fingers together more successfully than any pieces of plastic.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

manna wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 pm G'Day Gents

Reminds me of Huddersfield, seen from the Leeds end. Thumbs up.

manna
Don't you mean Halifax North Bridge?

http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/ph2007.html

Peter
mojo36
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by mojo36 »

No, the brick warehouse at Huddersfield
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Mojo36, has got it right, I'll see if I can find a pic.

manna
Attachments
th (2).jpg
th (3).jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Actually, that is a Metcalf card kit which is not meant to be just there. I was doing some work at the far end of the tracks, and just plonked it there out of my way - but forgot about it when I took the photos.

Disaster struck when I woke up in the middle of the night and realised I had ballasted and glued the single slip in place, but the wrong way round. I realised with horror that up trains had no access to/from the bay platform, which was the whole point of having a slip there in the first place.

I have had to 'dig' it all out and turn the slip around. Senior moments are becoming more frequent I'm afraid.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

That sounds like the stuff of my nightmares

I’ve got a point I need to remove and replace at some point (no pun intended), but am putting it off as I don’t want to try and dig it out of the ballast.

Jim de Griz